I feel guilty and dirty for buying from Amazon

I feel worse that I can't buy products that I look at and ask myself why that can't be made closer to home. Both for the sake of the environment and of my children and their friends.

I call it the "Wal Mart Conundrum". Folks want to work at Wal Mart and make $25 an hour. When they get off work, they want to go into the same Wal Mart and buy a t-shirt and spend no more than $6 for said shirt. Simple economics tell us that this cannot work.

What an awful premise the OP gave us for a thread. I buy from stores and sites that give me a good mix of convenience, cost and service. That's often Amazon. Like any company, they are likely to eventually become a victim of their own success and there will be a new competitor some day that will take their place. Can't we leave the politics and words like "evil" to lesser sites?

+1

For a while I cut back on Amazon orders, because they weren't delivering my Amazon Prime orders to me in two days as promised and they were out of many of the items that I wanted. To me, these were a good, free market reasons to order from Target and elsewhere for a while. Follow the money. I am sure that Target and Walmart were happy to experience a substantial increase in business during the pandemic.

After some time for recovery from the pandemic jolt, Amazon's swift delivery times are returning. So, I have been gradually returning to more Amazon orders.

It's rather obvious in my home state that our political leaders favor the big boys and girls over the the little folk. Their Covid rules are/were a great example. Small stores shut for months, big box stores open every day selling everything, including the non-essential stuff that the little closed stores could not sell.

But, we elect them. And re-elect them. What can I say.

Last edited:
Amazon is really on their delivery game around here. To a fault. I added six light bulbs to wife's order. The light bulbs were deliver 9PM same night. She got her stuff next day.

I do wonder how this affects the employees and contractors. Hopefully there's a union in their future.

So, if I start buying elsewhere, doesn't that reduce the Amazon pie, meaning layoffs for some workers?

Can we please keep politics out of the discussion?

Amazon is really on their delivery game around here. To a fault. I added six light bulbs to wife's order. The light bulbs were deliver 9PM same night. She got her stuff next day.

I do wonder how this affects the employees and contractors. Hopefully there's a union in their future.

So, if I start buying elsewhere, doesn't that reduce the Amazon pie, meaning layoffs for some workers?

Most of the deliveries are completed though contract delivery services. Not the "flex" program some are familiar with, but instead through the AMZN DSP program. Whether it is good or bad...that is your decision to make. I do know it has been pretty successful for AMZN to boost their delivery model which has been much of their success.

One of our neighbors own a DSP company and has been very successful with it and has 28 employees that he has scaled over a period of just a year.

Last edited:
Most of the deliveries are completed though contract delivery services. Not the "flex" program some of familiar with, but instead through the AMZN DSP program. Whether it is good or bad...that is your decision to make. I do know it has been pretty successful for AMZN to boost their delivery model which has been much of their success.

One of our neighbors own a DSP company and has been very successful with it and has 28 employees that he has scaled over a period of just a year.
I'll have to look closer. I see cars and vans, and have no idea how Amazon labels them.

I had a package said as delivered 2 days ago, called UPS they said contact Amazon no way to contact Amazon ,finally found a chat with a computer 3 seconds later they refunded me and told me to reorder, no effort looking for $50.

99.99% it was not stolen said UPS dropped on front porch, I had a snow covered driveway, no tracks, I went to my mailbox 30 minutes after dropped off and my neighbors package from UPS was laying there in the snow. check all neighbors nothing on porches, I live on a road that kinda dead ends with 10 houses past mine.

Just a reminder that while you are shopping on amazon, you are not always buying from amazon.

Amazon provides a platform for thousands of small businesses to thrive, where otherwise it would not be possible, or far less successful.

Amazon also provides this platform to handmade sellers, similar to Etsy.

So, a lot of small businesses make their livings on Amazon, it's not all big mega stuff.
+1.

I have bought more from Amazon this past year than ever before, but am starting to buy direct from manufacturer if I can.
I rarely buy small ticket items on Amazon. I’ve compared and every time so far the manufacturer wants to charge shipping while there’s usually a free shipping option (without Prime) from Amazon - even though it’s coming directly from the manufacturer :confused:

I just bought something for $80 off Amazon, that would have been $80+$10 shipping direct from the manufacturer. Manufacturers are spiting themselves? I got two emails from the manufacturer this morning me asking did I want to buy the item I left in the cart on their site? Uh NO...

Last edited:
+1.

I’ve compared and every time so far the manufacturer wants to charge shipping while there’s usually a free shipping option (without Prime) from Amazon - even though it’s coming directly from the manufacturer:confused: I just bought something for $80 off Amazon, that would have been $80+$10 shipping direct from the manufacturer. Manufacturers are spiting themselves?

I wonder if many of these manufacturers are using the logistics available through AMZN? As in, products are manufactured and immediately sent to AMZN warehouses that are then fulfilled by AMZN. I know there is A LOT of square footage that belongs to AMZN but is "used" by other companies, it's simply cheaper to use all things AMZN (logistically speaking) than doing it in house. Plus, have you looked at shipping costs for sending packages? It's quite expensive if you don't have a decent contract w/ UPS or FedEx hence making it even more advantageous for businesses to use AMZN for their logistics.

^^
More than 50% of all Amazon sales come from third-party sellers.

Third-party sellers continue to flock to Amazon, a trend that has seen upward growth for several years and does not seem to be slowing down anytime soon.

In fact, the percentage of third-party sellers on Amazon has been increasing steadily over the past 5 years, rising from 40% in 2013 to 53% at the end of 2018.

https://www.bigcommerce.com/blog/amazon-statistics/#battle-of-the-brands

I wonder if many of these manufacturers are using the logistics available through AMZN? As in, products are manufactured and immediately sent to AMZN warehouses that are then fulfilled by AMZN. I know there is A LOT of square footage that belongs to AMZN but is "used" by other companies, it's simply cheaper to use all things AMZN (logistically speaking) than doing it in house. Plus, have you looked at shipping costs for sending packages? It's quite expensive if you don't have a decent contract w/ UPS or FedEx hence making it even more advantageous for businesses to use AMZN for their logistics.

I wonder what Amazon charges these companies? We love a smallish family resort in Playa ...one year we booked a really cheap package at Expedia. Since we were regulars at that resort at checkout they mentioned if we found a cheap price at EX we should email and they would match it. I think they said EX kept back 20% of the room price as cost of doing business. Plus the resort would be way more generous with their cancellation policy.

I have lots of bones to pick with Amazon, but consider this:
In November, I ordered a new kitchen sink, faucet, and garbage disposal from a plumbing stock company.
After four weeks, the company sent an email to the effect that the sink and faucet were on back-order and would not be available until early April! Of course COVID-19 was blamed.
Found the sink and faucet on Amazon, same price. They arrived in 2 weeks. I mean, it's not like COVID-19 plays favorites, right?
Should I have been a martyr, and waited 3 more months instead?

It's rather obvious in my home state that our political leaders favor the big boys and girls over the the little folk. Their Covid rules are/were a great example. Small stores shut for months, big box stores open every day selling everything, including the non-essential stuff that the little closed stores could not sell.

But, we elect them. And re-elect them. What can I say.

The late George Carlin had a great take on that subject. Can find videos on you_tube.

BTW I prefer fleabay over amzon.

Agreed, I've bought some things direct from company websites lately and it's not so bad. Sometimes I'll do research on Amazon, comparing items and reading reviews, then buy elsewhere. Returning items can be more of a hassle though. Amazon sure makes that easy.

Prime memberships add an inhuman pressure to the workers. Do we really need our stuff that fast??

That's what often I do too. Look on Amazon and buy elsewhere. The descriptions and product reviews are very good on Amazon, usually even better than the manufacturer site. Then I will go out and look elsewhere (manufacturer site first, then target, costco, etc). because Amazon often has higher prices, some of the resellers appear shady, and business monopolies are something to be discouraged. But probably 40% of the time Amazon is the cheapest and best place with the most variety, so I'll buy there.

I wonder if this goes deeper than just efficiency of managing the operations. What if Amazon were looking to get people to quit in order to migrate over to a robotic warehouse? I know most utility companies will discount electricity during those hours the laborers are being shifted towards. So maybe they see the gain in utility savings and an opportunity to convert to robotic function.

We make a conscious effort to seek out American Manufactured Products of high quality.
We do not mind paying a premium for such items.

We also like to support local Vendors and Business's as much as practicable. And we do.

Having said that we use Amazon alot.

Especially if we have No Joy sourcing from Made in America and/or local vendors.

The selection and ability to find odd ball items combined with the convenience of online ordering, and for the most part very reliable shipping from Amazon..... we are glad for them.

gamboolman....

I agree with the Evil Empire label, and until the middle of the pandemic, only extraordinarily rarely ordered from them. Unfortunately, since last summer, when libraries closed, I’ve bought quite a lot of books from/via Amazon.

Before, and now at this point of the pandemic, we purchase from other retailers. I consider the extra charge the price for maintaining options, and esp a B+M choice. Appreciate though, that not all budgets have this option. I feel similarly about Walmart.

disclosure: I do own a good amount of Amazon stock (in taxable) fwiw, so I admit profiting from their evilness

My strategy for purchasing goods is simple.

I research to determine what product offers the best quality at a reasonable price.

Then I determine what company sells that product at the best price, has a reasonable return policy and when will it get to me or how easy to pick up.

I'm not loyal to any one company.

Amazon and ebay get 60% of spending dollars.

I have been boycotting Amazon for about 5 years. Walmart for longer. My account at amazon got hacked & 2 i phones were bought & sent to Tennessee or there abouts. Amazon was very little help on getting back to me & the time to CC dispute was running out. So instead of waiting for Amazon to settle I disputed. Amazon didn't like that. Pardon my french but screw them

I have no thoughts that my little protest will BK Bezos. But all I can do is what i can do. I will buy direct or through E bay with good result

Smile

Also - consider routing your orders through Amazon’s “smile” program. That way you can have a % of your purchase donated to a charity of your choice. Swing the donations add up (at no extra cost to you) might help salve the guilt.

I like it that I can use Amazon to support [MOD EDIT] my favorite cause.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if many of these manufacturers are using the logistics available through AMZN?

A whole heckuva lot of them are. Me included. Yup, I make things and send them to amazon to ship for me. I'm teeny tiny, but it makes life very easy. Their costs are about the same as if I ship it myself, and putting "prime" on it means I sell more stuff.

Well, that's a good thing isn't it? It relieves people from some if not most of the grunt work, most certainly at least some of the back-breaking heavy lifting, and it provides higher-paying jobs for the folks who maintain and service the robots.

A school near here provides several levels of robotics certification classes, from a six-week certification to an AA degree. The jobs those people get pay more than toting bales.

Isn't that what is supposed to happen?

Back
Top Bottom