I feel their pain...videos that make me cringe

Tailgate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Is it just me? When I get an email or see a post that has a video of people doing stupid things to the point of hurting themselves, I physically feel it... feels like a little jolt of electricity through my body as their head hits the pavement, or whatever. It's got to be some kind of sympathetic reaction. Whether by email or social media or on America's Funniest Home Videos, they get passed around..
I try not to watch those videos anymore unless I can tell they are harmless to the stupid person involved... really makes me uncomfortable.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 2.17.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 2.17.29 PM.png
    259.7 KB · Views: 58
Wow I must be ultra desensitized to a lot of these videos. These people are doing stupid things knowing theres a good chance they're going to get hurt. I grew up in the jackass show era so stunts like this where people get hurt isnt even appealing to watch anymore...almost to the point its been done so much I just gloss over it. You can see stuff like this all day on tosh.o on comedy central...that show is really hit or miss though.

Try watching videos from the cartel or isis torturing people. I dont make a habit of it but imo its good to see these extreme videos from time to time. This stuff happens in other parts of the world...we're just lucky enough to live in an insulated bubble where people are civilized 99.99999% of the time.

Sometimes the occasional videos of animals being tortured in asian countries...or even the horrific conditions of factory farming here in the states. Those who eat meat including myself can thank themselves for that.

Last edited:
Is it just me? When I get an email or see a post that has a video of people doing stupid things to the point of hurting themselves, I physically feel it... feels like a little jolt of electricity through my body as their head hits the pavement, or whatever. It's got to be some kind of sympathetic reaction. Whether by email or social media or on America's Funniest Home Videos, they get passed around..
I try not to watch those videos anymore unless I can tell they are harmless to the stupid person involved... really makes me uncomfortable.

I know exactly what you mean. I get the same heebie jeebies. It's like damn, thats got to hurt.

I didn't click on the above video...I'm a wimp and can't watch videos of people getting hurt. Even minor sports injuries make me look away.

I didn't click on the above video...I'm a wimp and can't watch videos of people getting hurt. Even minor sports injuries make me look away.

it's not a video, just a screenshot of a stupid skateboard stunt prior to the result. Like I said, I'm squeemish and I don't seek these videos out. Funny music and laugh tracks don't make them any easier to watch... I'm just speaking for myself....

I don't watch this type of video.

Also I don't watch the ISIS beheading videos. Never saw one. I close my eyes and stick my fingers in my ears during violent movies, especially if more than one person is killed in the movie and their deaths are depicted as trivial. I don't play violent video games. OK, I don't mind slaying some orcs in a clean, bloodless way, but if it becomes too realistic and involves killing realistic human beings, it's not for me.

My reason for attempting to avoid the tremendous and continual avalanche of violent entertainment, is this: I think repeated exposure to too much violence causes us to become jaded and casual about it and to just not care. I am just a retired old lady and do not want or need to be that kind of person. I would feel differently if I was a hired assassin who had to kill dozens of people each week, but that's not me.

Although the video probably doesn't show much violence, I would avoid it just like you did. I don't think you are being squeamish.

I just be going soft in my older age.

I don't much like to watch hard hits in football, and definitely no slow motion injuries. Plus, I have no appetite to watch a boxing match where two guys beat each others brains out.

I have an empathic reaction to these videos, and yet at the same time, when I watch news and they blur out the bodies or parts of bodies, or the bleeding from some news event. I feel it trivializes the event and my adultness.

While I sympathize, I have a hard time resisting anything that starts with the equivalent of "Hold my beer and watch this!!!"
:D:D:D

I don't watch this type of video.

Also I don't watch the ISIS beheading videos. Never saw one. I close my eyes and stick my fingers in my ears during violent movies, especially if more than one person is killed in the movie and their deaths are depicted as trivial. I don't play violent video games. OK, I don't mind slaying some orcs in a clean, bloodless way, but if it becomes too realistic and involves killing realistic human beings, it's not for me.

My reason for attempting to avoid the tremendous and continual avalanche of violent entertainment, is this: I think repeated exposure to too much violence causes us to become jaded and casual about it and to just not care. I am just a retired old lady and do not want or need to be that kind of person. I would feel differently if I was a hired assassin who had to kill dozens of people each week, but that's not me.

Although the video probably doesn't show much violence, I would avoid it just like you did. I don't think you are being squeamish.

Or become naive and think nothing bad can ever happen. You can nerf your surroundings all you want...evil exists and its out there. Better the devil you know than the devil you dont know.

Your thought process is the reason why there are places on earth in 2018 that have death/labor camps like the holocaust. Its happening right now. If everyone would peek behind the curtain every now and then... maybe something would get done.

Or become naive and think nothing bad can ever happen. You can nerf your surroundings all you want...evil exists and its out there. Better the devil you know than the devil you dont know.

Your thought process is the reason why there are places on earth in 2018 that have death/labor camps like the holocaust. Its happening right now. If everyone would peek behind the curtain every now and then... maybe something would get done.

I'm also one of those who don't watch those videos...but, I'm not so naïve to think these things don't happen on a regular basis and I have nothing but thanks for those who are brave enough to take on the extremely unpleasant and dangerous job of trying to keep evil at bay. Everyone in that positon has my full support.

Reactions: W2R
Back
Top Bottom