I found who originally owned my house

My FIL is 90. I take him around looking at jobsites with me. Mostly to get him out of the house and BS with him. He always wants to go to McDonalds to buy me coffee. Anyway he has been in his home since 1931 I think. Grew up in it and then bought it. He has all kinda stories about what used to be on "this or that corner"in the neighborhood. He owned an oil company and he is always showing me corners where gas stations were. Most of the time he tell me George Johnson used to run that station. Helluva nice guy. I'll tell you what there was a lot more gas station around BITD.

Not around here... we have many more gas stations than we used to...

BUT, they have moved from where they used to be... they used to be small ones on corners of major intersections... there is one intersection here where there used to be 4 gas stations... now none... but, drive 1/4 to 1/2 mile and there are more large stations with stores attached to them... and also Kroger sells gas right next to where one used to be...

So the small mom and pop stations are going away to be replaced with large multi-pump stations with a store and maybe even a fast food place attached....

I've not seen these census maps before. Unfortunately, for my ancestors there are none available.

Thanks, though. Genealogy research is on my list of RE projects.

The map was a huge pain to navigate. I got lucky and on the 6th or 7th, map i was able to find my neighborhood. Then I saw the light pencil marked numbers near my home. The first number only God knows what that was, the 4 digit number was my census track. If I had to do it again, I probably could not find my home again.

I don't know how to go about finding this info.

But in my case, there is nothing to find out. I have bought only 3 houses in my life, and two were new constructions. The 3rd one was owned by a family for only 3 years before the husband's employer relocated him to another state.

Actually for property if you want to find the chain of ownership the records (which may not be online very far back) are all at the local courthouse. This is exactly what abstractors used to do, and what title insurance companies do. They trace the ownership back to the time the property was first sold by the federal or state government, or perhaps the Spanish, Mexican or French Government. In addition there are some plat maps of rural areas online and more in libraries where you can see who owned what acreage.

Well I can say that we looked up the early history of the site of my spouses parents house.
It was surveyed by a certain colonel--- you might even know of him.....
He later became a general....
.....in the revolutionary war...
and then the first president

The deed original was on parchment!! ( military survey 66)

My parents never owned a house and rented. I left the family when I was 17 and we were living in a housing project. I do look at that place using Google Earth and it is still there (amazingly).

Interesting. We had a thread on here a few(?) years ago where someone had come across a photo of their home many decades ago and posted it along with a current photo. Something for BCG to look for while looking back on old threads!

I'm sure lots of people die in their houses. Frankly I'd rather die in my house in my own bed than in a hospital with all kinds of tubes and whatevers stuck in me. What is the issue with that?
We found a red stain on bedroom hardwood floor under carpeting in a home we purchased in 1980's. Asked the neighbor if someone died in the house, (haha). "No, but stalker boyfriend of teen daughter killed self (carbon mono) while sitting in car in front of house." Creepy.

Back
Top Bottom