I gave notice about starting my pension today!

skyking1

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
It was a very long day, I pushed through to finish a job ahead of the weather.
The boss was working late himself, and came out to offer a cup of coffee before i started home.
It just seemed like the right time to broach the subject.
The work has dried up greatly, and I have been making hours out of thin air sometimes. I explained that the pension is about 2 weeks pay, and I can work 50 hours while collecting it.
He was actually quite pleased that it would take some overhead off the books and still have me as their operator. We did not discuss a final date for the clean break, but I think he knows when the new house is done, so am I. :)
I set the date for the pension as May 1, and I will work full time the next two months to get as many hours in the pension and medical coverage.

Congratulations Skyking!

Thank you all. It is a good soft start at retirement, I think. As long as my wife is working I am good with taking care of their needs as the sole operator. They will pay me the 50 regardless, and if they get back to the old volume of work I will find a suitable replacement and step away.
This plan will pay for our medical coverage until next February. With any good luck I can have our new home well under way and it would be a good time for the full break.

Congratulations! Your work will seem much more enjoyable now!

Woohoo!:dance: I started mine a few months ago and I would say that it has greatly improved my quality of life. Not because I need the money, rather the fact that it is enough to cover my base living expenses each month. So my checking account is now pretty much on autopilot. The pension is deposited and the bills are paid and I no longer have to watch it and top it up from other assets. Only if I spend a big chunk on a big purchase will I have to shuffle money around.
So, a big congrats to you! You have worked long and hard for this peace of mind.

Congrats to you @EarlyandLate

Thank you all. I just need to knuckle down and look busy for 10 more weeks now.

I moved the date up one month. Tuesday was my last official day of full timing.
I was thrilled to say One Less Month (OLM)!
I have a little bit to do on Monday, and then Tues~Thursday I have set aside for working on the property and a run to BC to visit my brother.
I still work but only as needed.

Glad You took that next step. It is very hard to walk when a person loves their work. For me it was a tough decision but I'm so glad I became part of an early retiree group. That title is even better than the one I had.

Good Luck I wish well Sir.

The work is not about the money, but we are building the house with cash and more cash is more bettter.
We have an annuity that matures in December. We will annutize that thing rapidly over 3 years so we can party like drunken sailors for the honeymoon period of retirement, and also to get the income done with some years left for Roth conversions.

I backfilled what I could and brought the truck back to the shop.
The next dig is on the 29th. The timing for this was really good.

Skyking, I suspect you will never lack for activities to keep you busy and fulfilled. :D

Skyking, I suspect you will never lack for activities to keep you busy and fulfilled. :D

I agree. My friend is taking delivery of his log cabin home kit on Saturday, 3 semi loads worth.
I had offered to help and he really did not want to put me out, he said he and his GF had it. That was before he knew it was the whole thing and 3 loads worth!
He has an all terrain forklift being delivered tomorrow.
A good friend from another forum is meeting me in the morning at the Cottage Cafe in Cle Elum, on my way over.
I plan on taking the long way over to Gifford, up and around to the north. The road never traveled.

Back
Top Bottom