I got a confession to make about bacon...

I never would have thought to make Bacon at home if I hadn’t stumbled across this thread. Mmm Bacon!

The only way I ever made bacon was to break a few rules on ER.org threads. :LOL:

Mmmm! (Homemade) Bacon!

Attachments

• 5ECA6529-2EE9-44F8-A065-C8646B317149.jpeg
    5ECA6529-2EE9-44F8-A065-C8646B317149.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 35
This morninig I fried up the last 4 pieces of pork scrapple. Large block was purchased from the Amish at the Reading Terminal Market some time ago.

We have quite a few Jewish Deli's in the area. When I go in there and look at the Pastrami, it is like heaven. They slice and build a sandwich that is 2" thick at least.

To bring it all back to (my) reality for a moment (Don't shoot me, bro!) I just bought a pound of precooked bacon at Costco yesterday. It was $10.99. Honestly, I can't fry bacon from the store as well as these slices turn out in my microwave. Every slice is the same length and thickness. It always tastes the same. I know exactly how many seconds to set on the timer. . It isn't gourmet and it's not even close to home made, but it tastes great and it will even survive without refrigeration. YMMV

To bring it all back to (my) reality for a moment (Don't shoot me, bro!) I just bought a pound of precooked bacon at Costco yesterday. It was $10.99. Honestly, I can't fry bacon from the store as well as these slices turn out in my microwave. Every slice is the same length and thickness. It always tastes the same. I know exactly how many seconds to set on the timer. . It isn't gourmet and it's not even close to home made, but it tastes great and it will even survive without refrigeration. YMMV

Here is a hint I only tried in the past few years. Bake your bacon!
Seriously!

Put your slices on parchment paper, on a sheet pan. Bake at 350-375. 15-20 minutes for thin, 20+ for thick. Keep an eye on it. It can go from not done to burnt very quickly. Turn once while cooking. If you want to Zap it for later use, under cook just a hair.

DW likes bacon but not the smell/mess of cooking it inside the house. My solution, which I posted previously, is to use an old cookie sheet on the gas grill to fry up a package at a time. We freeze what we don't eat and zap in in the microwave for a few seconds when we need it.

We always carry the precooked bacon with us when we go camping,we have one of the small broiler toaster ovens & it does well in that. Just DW and I, on occasion our 8 yr.old DGD so only cook 5 to 8 slices at once. We also use the toaster for bagels ,poptarts ect. No complicated meals when camping ,just easy peasy and get on with the outdoor life.

I’m curing my second batch of homemade bacon. This time I’m going to pepper the fat side before smoking it.

I have been baking my bacon for years and you don’t need to turn it over. It turns out perfectly. I start checking it at 15 minutes.

I’m curing my second batch of homemade bacon. This time I’m going to pepper the fat side before smoking it.
I've made lots of bacon, but never tried to coat it with anything. Does the smoking somehow help the pepper to adhere instead of falling off? Or?

Back
Top Bottom