Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-29-2018, 04:47 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

harllee, Do you have a Nordstrom's near you? They have a great shoe department. If you can shop for shoes online, they have a great selection in widths. I go to the stores because I like to try them on and don't like shipping returns.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2018, 04:55 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I wear a 7.5EE. Only about10 firms even make this size for the U.S. market, and Zappos has the best selection. For athletic shoes, it's New Balance or nothing, although I found a pair of ASICS once that fit.
My gripe is that I cannot find boots. Manufacturers assume that wide forefoot equals wide woman, and EE width boots are made for much bigger calves and ankles than mine. Still, there are worse problems to have. Try Zappos, and good luck!

Here you go....custom made boots.

https://www.texascrazy.com/category/...-cowboy-boots/
Old 12-29-2018, 08:08 PM   #23

I wear a size 15; so I can't say I feel your pain. Finding any shoe that I like is a major ordeal, so if I'm ever near a mall and in the mood, I am always searching. While I have several dress shoes in various colors/styles, casual shoes/ hiking boots are like false hens teeth.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:31 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
harllee, Do you have a Nordstrom's near you? They have a great shoe department. If you can shop for shoes online, they have a great selection in widths. I go to the stores because I like to try them on and don't like shipping returns.
There is a Nordstrom at the mall but I have never been in it, out of my price range. Does Nordstrom have running shoes?
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:42 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
You ought to wear size 15 shoes. I'm on the search for them right now, and my normal source for shoes doesn't have any larger sizes. I find 14's in shoe stores, but not 15's.

I'll eventually find'em at a discount price--after I wait. Fortunately, I keep shoes in reserve to wear.

Try bigshoes.com
Also footlocker.com if you're looking for running-type shoes.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:43 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I looked at this website and they have really nice looking shoes but I don't see any running shoes and that is what I really need now. I have enough dress shoes and boots right now. Thanks, I will keep a note of this site for the future.
If running shoes are what you need, then check joesnewbalanceoutlet.com - that is my go-to place. Great prices, excellent selection. It is New Balance's company clearance/outlet site. Once I've found what works for me, I'll watch for when they deeply discount, and then make a bulk purchase. I will go through 5 or 6 pairs a year as my mileage will eat through a pair every 2 or 3 months. Right now they are having their year end clearance, so check it out. Also sign up with an account - it will immediately get you extra discounts and lower minimum for free shipping.

New Balance has gotten in to the game of introducing a model and then discontinuing in less than a year and it is annoying. However, they are generally very good when it comes to sizing - it is true across their entire line. If you fit well in one model, you're good in that size with any other shoe of theirs. I've only had a couple of instances when a shoe did not work.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:14 AM   #27
gone traveling

Try buying for my granddaughter's size 12 narrow feet.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:38 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

They're a little cagey on the web site about the "custom" part, and they don't show any women's boots (unless I missed a link). They just say "If you see a pair of men's boots you like and want them made up in a women's size, tell us." I might write them about my situation, just to see what they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
WOMENS CUSTOM WESTERN BOOT ORDER TIMING
As you consider a pair of womens custom western boots online at TexasCrazy.com, please give special notice to the issue of TIMING. Our goal is to help you celebrate Texas and exceed your expectations rather than disappoint you. As you might imagine exotic leather cowboy boots take time in:

Locating (somebody has to raise or catch the critters where they live)
Tanning (each animal skin tanning process can be unique and very specialized)
Ship (from all over the world to the Hondo bootmaking facility)
Schedule (all kinds of boot materials arrive and these need close coordination)
Produce (custom handcrafted boots – one at a time using old west methods)
Quality control (bootmaking is part art, part science)
Pack and ship to you.
So, we share this up front so that when you read anywhere from 3 to 5 months on our custom boot delivery, please understand that is an estimate and not a guarantee. There is a complex process going on behind the scenes and that we think you’ll end up pleased and proud of your boots if you are patient with us on timing. As you add a pair of custom western boots to the cart, you’ll be asked to check that you have been informed of this timing issue. Thanks for your understanding.

SHOP OUR WOMENS CUSTOM COWBOY BOOTS
If you see a pair of Hondo mens boots on our website and want a pair in the ladies version, the answer is yes we can have ’em made for you in a ladies size the way you like it. Just let us know the stock number and your boot size and we’ll figure a price up for you.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:44 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
There is a Nordstrom at the mall but I have never been in it, out of my price range. Does Nordstrom have running shoes?
I've mentioned Nordstrom's before and for some reason people think everything is too expensive. Yes, you can find very expensive brands at Nordstrom's. You will also find shoes and sneakers that are sold at every other shoe store. I also shop the sale section of their web site for some great buys.
https://shop.nordstrom.com/c/womens-...1&sort=Boosted
Old 12-31-2018, 12:26 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Nordstrom stores vary a lot in their offerings. The Portland downtown store carries high fashion shoes, the store at the Washington Square Mall has a full range of styles.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:10 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Can't speak for all unusual sizes, but Nordstrom's wide-width selection pales next to Zappos.com. Zappos will have 50 sandal styles, some of them actually pretty, compared with four old-lady styles at Nordstrom.com.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:29 PM   #32

Harllee my dear, let Ebay be your savior. There are many things that go out of style and are not made anymore. If you know exactly what you want, Ebay will provide.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:24 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
Harllee my dear, let Ebay be your savior. There are many things that go out of style and are not made anymore. If you know exactly what you want, Ebay will provide.
Yes, Ebay is where I found my last 5 pairs of my favorite shoe but I have been looking on Ebay for several months now and have not found a single pair of my favorite shoe in my size, maybe the style is just to old, it was discontinued several years ago.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:32 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I wonder how one would go about finding a shoemaker to make a custom last and custom shoes? Is it even possible for non-billionaires?
Johnston and Murphy in Nashville also custom makes shoes. Customers have a locker where their lasts are kept.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 06:18 PM   #35

Quote:
Can't speak for all unusual sizes, but Nordstrom's wide-width selection pales next to Zappos.com. Zappos will have 50 sandal styles, some of them actually pretty, compared with four old-lady styles at Nordstrom.com.
OP is looking for sneakers not sandals. I must have missed where she needs the xx width.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:39 PM   #36

Interesting thread. As a (mostly ex) runner, when I found a shoe I liked, I bought a number of pairs of them. I lucked into a retro remake of ASCIS Gel LyteSpeed's (with the split tongue) and snapped up a half dozen pairs of them this past year. (I wore the originals as my marathon race day shoes for a number of races.)

Although you've probably already tried them, Saucany has (or at used to) have last's which were somewhat narrower in the heel and wider in the forefoot.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:33 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
Interesting thread. As a (mostly ex) runner, when I found a shoe I liked, I bought a number of pairs of them. I lucked into a retro remake of ASCIS Gel LyteSpeed's (with the split tongue) and snapped up a half dozen pairs of them this past year. (I wore the originals as my marathon race day shoes for a number of races.)

Although you've probably already tried them, Saucany has (or at used to) have last's which were somewhat narrower in the heel and wider in the forefoot.
I have not tried Saucany. I filled out their online questionnaire and it showed me some shoes they recommend for me that were close to $200, much more than I am use to paying. I usually replace my shoes every 4-6 months so that would get pretty pricy.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:45 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
They're a little cagey on the web site about the "custom" part, and they don't show any women's boots (unless I missed a link). They just say "If you see a pair of men's boots you like and want them made up in a women's size, tell us." I might write them about my situation, just to see what they say.

WOMENS CUSTOM WESTERN BOOT ORDER TIMING
As you consider a pair of womens custom western boots online at TexasCrazy.com, please give special notice to the issue of TIMING. Our goal is to help you celebrate Texas and exceed your expectations rather than disappoint you. As you might imagine exotic leather cowboy boots take time.
Something I learned the hard way. It’s only custom fitted if you go to the cobbler and they make lasts (molds) from your specific foot geometry. Then make repeat visits during manufacturing to make sure the shoes will fit.

I bought a pair of “custom” moccasins from a premier Wisconsin shoemaker. DW took a dozen measurements of my feet and ankles, per their instructions. Then I mailed these in along with $300 and waited six months (four longer than promised). The shoes finally came, but they came ill fitting. I found out later that the best a shoemaker can do from this method is grab a standard last that most closely fits the dimensions you send them. I figure they ask for so many extra dimensions to fool the customer into thinking they’re getting something unique.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:25 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

She mentioned wide forefoot with regular/narrow heel, which is just like my foot. It is a difficult kind of foot to buy for, since wide-width shoes usually have wider heels, too.

You're correct, she asked about athletic shoes, and has gotten some good responses (I recommended New Balance, as have others). Presumably she wears other kinds of shoes now and then, too, just as I do

This has been a very good thread; I thank OP for having started it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
OP is looking for sneakers not sandals. I must have missed where she needs the xx width.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:57 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
She mentioned wide forefoot with regular/narrow heel, which is just like my foot. It is a difficult kind of foot to buy for, since wide-width shoes usually have wider heels, too.

You're correct, she asked about athletic shoes, and has gotten some good responses (I recommended New Balance, as have others). Presumably she wears other kinds of shoes now and then, too, just as I do

This has been a very good thread; I thank OP for having started it.
Yes, good thread. The last is key. That's why I was so perplexed when a pair of NB SL-2 last shoes didn't fit me. That's the first time in 25 years I've had that problem. It even had the same model number, just a different version.

I have no idea what happened at NB to cause this problem. Perhaps the different material conformed differently, or they had issues at the factory where someone changed something on the last. My favorite NB shoes have moved manufacture from the US to various foreign factories. It seems to matter.

Here's a nice official chart from NB's UK site that shows how their lasts fit. Like you, Amethyst, I need the narrow heel and wide and thick forefront. For NB, that's the SL-2.
https://www.newbalance.co.uk/shoe-last-chart.html
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote