Join Early Retirement Today

I hate it when they discontinue the shoes I like
Old 12-28-2018, 06:33 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I hate it when they discontinue the shoes I like

I have feet that are hard to fit. Long feet (women's size 10) with a narrow heel and wide across the ball/toes. All my life I have had trouble finding shoes that fit well. About 10 years ago I found Asics Cadence shoes, actually a running shoe but I wear it everyday for everything except dress up. Fits my feet perfectly. A few years ago I heard this style as being discontinued so I bought up every pair I could find in my size (probably 7 or 8 pairs). Now I am on the last pair and they have had it. I have searched every where for more pairs in my size--from the Asics factory itself, Ebay, etc. I cannot find any more pairs in my size. I have tried several more similar Asics shoes (including the one that Asics says replaced this shoe) and none fit my feet very well.

Why do shoe companies do this? ( I know-- they want you to buy the newest and latest).

So now I have to go to every shoe store in the area and try on every pair of running/walking shoes and I doubt if I will find a pair I like as much as Asics Cadence.

Thanks for listening to my rant.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2018, 07:03 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

My feet are quite wedged: narrow heel and wide toe with flat arches. I’ve had a hard time finding shoes since I was 12. I started questing in earnest for healthy, comfortable shoes around 2009 and I finally found lemsshoes.com four years ago. I love, love, love them. I like their sneaker model and moccasin/boat shoes the best.

The soles are flat and they have no arch support (both pluses for me). Not cheap compared to some shoes, but I’d pay twice for the measure of comfort I finally have.

Good luck!
Old 12-28-2018, 08:53 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I have searched every where for more pairs in my size--from the Asics factory itself, Ebay, etc. I cannot find any more pairs in my size.
Set up a couple of custom searches on eBay and maybe you'll eventually get a notification about a pair of the shoes you like in a new listing.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:19 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I wear a 7.5EE. Only about10 firms even make this size for the U.S. market, and Zappos has the best selection. For athletic shoes, it's New Balance or nothing, although I found a pair of ASICS once that fit.
My gripe is that I cannot find boots. Manufacturers assume that wide forefoot equals wide woman, and EE width boots are made for much bigger calves and ankles than mine. Still, there are worse problems to have. Try Zappos, and good luck!
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:06 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I know what you mean. I've had that happen with both road and trail running shoes that I wore for years. For a few years I was able to find them at warehouses like Sierra Trading Post, often pretty cheap, so I stocked up. Then I found better replacements, so now I have those extras in my closet! Oh well.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:14 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Yep - something different with the new shoes. I have about 5 pairs of Asics Nimbus and Kayanos.
I like the oldest pair the best - so I wear them the most.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:16 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

New Asics Gel Cadence Womens Sport Light Weight Cushioned Shoes [usalakes-10234] - $&nbsp78.00 :

Whether this site is legit, I don't know, but they claim to have your size in stock.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:50 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I have feet that are hard to fit. Long feet (women's size 10) with a narrow heel and wide across the ball/toes. All my life I have had trouble finding shoes that fit well. About 10 years ago I found Asics Cadence shoes, actually a running shoe but I wear it everyday for everything except dress up. Fits my feet perfectly. A few years ago I heard this style as being discontinued so I bought up every pair I could find in my size (probably 7 or 8 pairs). Now I am on the last pair and they have had it. I have searched every where for more pairs in my size--from the Asics factory itself, Ebay, etc. I cannot find any more pairs in my size. I have tried several more similar Asics shoes (including the one that Asics says replaced this shoe) and none fit my feet very well.

Why do shoe companies do this? ( I know-- they want you to buy the newest and latest).

So now I have to go to every shoe store in the area and try on every pair of running/walking shoes and I doubt if I will find a pair I like as much as Asics Cadence.

Thanks for listening to my rant.
Copy your first paragraph and send it in an email (or a snail mail) with your address and phone number to the Asics CEO, as it shows just how much of an Asics fan you are. It will likely end up with a customer service person who may be able to tell you the shoe that Asics believes is most like the one you had and might even send you a pair. And it might help revive the shoe you had. Can’t hurt to try.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:53 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

The thread summary said: "I hate it when they discontinue..."

I thought to myself, "shoes." Clicked on it and there it was. I'm with you!

I loved New Balance 928 shoes. Then they really, really messed them up. They say it was to "improve" them. I saw "cost cutting." People were literally up in arms over this. What really ticks me off is they claimed it was the SL-2 "last". How could you change the toe box if it is the same last? I smell a cost cutting measure by an off-shore factory manager. They claimed to have fixed it, but to me now version 3 still stinks.

Here's what one analyst said:
Quote:
The original 928 version was a hit because it offered maximum ROLLBAR stability, ample ABZORB cushioning, and featured a very deep toe box which was great for those with wide feet and those who wear orthotic inserts. The style was popular for a few years until 2016 when New Balance replaced it with the updated 928 version 2. The New Balance 928v2 featured an upgraded insole and kept the maximum stability and cushion. However, customer complaints rolled in immediately about the toe box being more narrow than it’s predecessor. The 928v2 is a great shoe but it did not suit those who need the wide toe box quite as well. New Balance listened to its customers which brings us to the 928v3.
https://shoestores.com/blog/new-bala...-versus-928v2/
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:21 AM   #10

For those of you who like New Balance, have you tried Brooks? We have a full service shoe store where there are actually people who know how to fit a shoe. They moved me from New Balance to Brooks, a brand I never heard of, and I am very happy. I mentioned it because I like a wide toe box as a couple have mentioned and the Brooks seem to work well for me.

I also second Zappos or even onlineshoes.com. Unfortunately, physical stores just cannot inventory the range in styles and sizes that the on line stores can. I also was impressed with how easy they made it to try shoes on and send them back until I got the right ones. It obviously takes some time due to shipping time, but it was very easy.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:57 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
For those of you who like New Balance, have you tried Brooks? We have a full service shoe store where there are actually people who know how to fit a shoe. They moved me from New Balance to Brooks, a brand I never heard of, and I am very happy. I mentioned it because I like a wide toe box as a couple have mentioned and the Brooks seem to work well for me.
No I have not, but I am willing to give them a try. I am quite irked at New Balance's cost cutting and size trending.

I see there is a nice walker in my width (4E) at a nearby store, in stock! I'll give them a shot. Thanks for the tip.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:29 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I haven't been able to buy shoes in a shoe store since I have been an adult. And before that, it was difficult so I never had nice shoes. Online stores have been such a gift. My shoe closet is quite full these days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Unfortunately, physical stores just cannot inventory the range in styles and sizes that the on line stores can. I also was impressed with how easy they made it to try shoes on and send them back until I got the right ones. It obviously takes some time due to shipping time, but it was very easy.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:32 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

You ought to wear size 15 shoes. I'm on the search for them right now, and my normal source for shoes doesn't have any larger sizes. I find 14's in shoe stores, but not 15's.

I'll eventually find'em at a discount price--after I wait. Fortunately, I keep shoes in reserve to wear.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:33 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Try Oddball. I knew the Longakers when they were kids, great young men. They were 'blessed' with huge feet and experienced difficulty in finding shoes. The business specializes in men's shoes size 14 and larger, they may be able to find what you need.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:51 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I wonder how one would go about finding a shoemaker to make a custom last and custom shoes? Is it even possible for non-billionaires?
Old 12-29-2018, 01:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I wonder how one would go about finding a shoemaker to make a custom last and custom shoes? Is it even possible for non-billionaires?
Possible but not easy. I had a custom pair of hiking boots made once. They will easily last the rest of my life, but they were extremely expensive (over $600 in the 90s) and there was a long waiting list (my wait after putting down my deposit was about five years). I would guess that custom shoes would be a similar situation.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:22 PM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
What about someplace like this? (found on a google search)

https://girottishoes.com/special-sizes

I'd also suggest googling for a custom shoemaker near you.

omni
omni550 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:41 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post

omni
+1
That's one of many. For higher end try searching on "bespoke shoes"
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 02:39 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
New Asics Gel Cadence Womens Sport Light Weight Cushioned Shoes [usalakes-10234] - $&nbsp78.00 :

Whether this site is legit, I don't know, but they claim to have your size in stock.
I have never seen this site before but that is the shoe! I will check it out and THANKS!!!
Old 12-29-2018, 03:29 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post

omni
I looked at this website and they have really nice looking shoes but I don't see any running shoes and that is what I really need now. I have enough dress shoes and boots right now. Thanks, I will keep a note of this site for the future.