Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-31-2018, 09:04 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I consider myself a buyer, not a shopper. No one knows what I need like myself.

My wife drug me to the big factory outlet mall 2 days ago, and I thought I was going to have a panic attack.

If I cannot get it online, it's probably not needed. If it's not needed, I don't buy it.
+1

I've had panic attacks from crowded places. I've left more than one cart in Walmart and ran out the door.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2018, 09:30 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Don't know why but I enjoy grocery shopping. (I do go in off-peak hours and Costco, where I do much of it, manages its lines well.)

Clothes- don't buy much although I found a couple of companies that make clothes in the US and spent a few hundred $$ with them this past year.

Boots and shoes- I really need to try them on and see where they were made. I've found a great boot store near me and that may be my new vice- I love boots.

I stay out of malls and big box stores if I can- too much of the same stuff, all cheaply made in countries with poor working conditions and the clothing is made for 20-somethings. An exception is Chico's and I go there (to the sale racks) when I want to splurge.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:47 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't mind shopping as long as I know what I'm going for. I'm not the type to go to a store and browse in hopes I'll find something.

Most of the shopping I do locally is at Home Depot or Lowes, as I'm going after something we need. I also visit the local mom and pop hardware store occasionally as they usually have the bolt or other part I need immediately to get something up and running again.

Otherwise, I tend to do most shopping online. I'm would rather wait a few days to receive something than make the drive across town only to discover they don't have what I'm looking for anyway.

Selection is one of the main reasons I shop online. It seems like every time I go to a local store they don't have the item I'm looking for. So it's usually just a wasted trip. It also seems like local stores only carry the cheapest low end models. I went to three different stores trying to find a toaster for my mom and all anyone had was a cheap 8 dollar piece of junk, or an 80 dollar computer controlled monstrosity. So, I ordered a basic toaster online from Amazon.

If a store has their inventory online, I'm more likely to make the drive knowing the item I want will be there when I arrive. Some stores are better at keeping their online inventory counts accurate. I hate making the drive only to discover they are out of the item the online site said they had five of!
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:58 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Don't know why but I enjoy grocery shopping. (I do go in off-peak hours and Costco, where I do much of it, manages its lines well.)

Clothes- don't buy much although I found a couple of companies that make clothes in the US and spent a few hundred $$ with them this past year.

Boots and shoes- I really need to try them on and see where they were made. I've found a great boot store near me and that may be my new vice- I love boots.

I stay out of malls and big box stores if I can- too much of the same stuff, all cheaply made in countries with poor working conditions and the clothing is made for 20-somethings. An exception is Chico's and I go there (to the sale racks) when I want to splurge.
I too love grocery shopping, but I'm a speed shopper. I can get through Aldi's in 5 minutes flat most days--when all the old people are not yet there. I do use a written list, however.

Clothes--seldom need to buy clothes. I must still have 12 good pairs of jeans and 15-20 pairs of good khaki pants. I rotate through wearing them. I wear the same brand shoes year after year, but presently having problems finding them online in a Size 15.

We are fortunate to have a WalMart 2 minutes away, and it's my drive in market. I'm in there almost every day buying specific items. I never just look up and down the aisles.

Malls? Maybe 1x per year will I walk into our fine mall. Place looks funny without Sears. I also seldom go inside a drive in market for anything.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 10:14 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I shop when I have to do so. Usually for things that need to properly fit me or some object I am repairing. Other than that, I am a 'buyer'.

I do enjoy visiting Costco, which is about as close to shopping I get. I like their Treasure Hunt goods and occasionally will buy something unexpected that I find there. Usually, it is a gift for a beloved family member. Sometimes it is for myself. That is the main reason I may Blow the Dough.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 10:55 AM   #26

Mostly I'll echo the hate shopping, but I'm still grateful to know what abundance is available within 5 miles of my house; there must be 8 grocery stores, two malls, several warehouse stores, 4 big box hardware stores. All mostly ignored, but still appreciated.

Last good shopping experience was the new Lidl. They had a whole bunch of imported beer that I'd never heard of. It was fun to try them. There were hits and misses, but I found one that I think was comparable with a $5/bottle brand name for about $2/ bottle. Disoveries like that, and sharing those discoveries, can add a bit of interest to the otherwise dreary process of shopping.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:37 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Found myself needing to mail some prepaid USPS boxes and dreading taking to the post office. Discovered I can drop at Going Postal. No wait. Receipt in hand. 30 seconds. I may never go to a post office again
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 05:04 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHaloFIRE View Post
Found myself needing to mail some prepaid USPS boxes and dreading taking to the post office. Discovered I can drop at Going Postal. No wait. Receipt in hand. 30 seconds. I may never go to a post office again
Love my post office. Rarely busy and the lady at the desk is sweet as can be.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:48 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Ugh, I can’t shop anymore. I drive by our high end Towne Center and see the parking lots packed....not worth it. The hassle factor, gasoline, idiots, and time wasted is now beyond my ability to cope.

I love browsing Amazon, Tennis Warehouse, Tennis Express, Adidas, Guitar Center, wine shops .........and a simple click from my couch. A few days later, these boxes arrive at my door. It’s like Christmas. Sometimes I forget what all I ordered. Even more fun!

Retired January 2019, age 63
35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Floridatennisplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 01:21 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Fortunately I enjoy food and wine shopping, so the weekly, bi-weekly grocery shopping is never a burden.

But I can’t stand shopping for anything else, so keep it to an absolute minimum. Two years will go by between mall visits finally driven by necessity for specific new clothing that is too much hassle to order online, although I’ll order online when I can.

Oh yeah driving there and parking lots stink in general......
Old 01-01-2019, 01:23 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
+1

Typically, men are buyers and women are shoppers.
This “statistic” doesn’t help with individuals.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:30 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Are you pleased with the produce they select for you?

The local box store offers "order online, pickup in store" but they are not the most efficient, customer-friendly people in the world. I am pretty sure they aren't selective, just grab what's on top, even if there's a bruised item in the bag, which I would have detected.

E
I wonder too. I see employees with large multi shelf carts wandering our main grocery store these days and they seem to spend a lot of time in the produce section and look like conscientious young people. I’ll have to watch them pick produce sometime. I’m sure they’re not as picky as me, but maybe good enough?

That store is really working to ramp up their order for pickup business, so maybe they are careful.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:49 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I wonder too. I see employees with large multi shelf carts wandering our main grocery store these days and they seem to spend a lot of time in the produce section and look like conscientious young people. I’ll have to watch them pick produce sometime. I’m sure they’re not as picky as me, but maybe good enough? .
Produce and meat selection on online groceries ?: The order pull worker contacts the customer via Skype and lets the customer have a look. Not that far fetched for a retailer trying to dominate the business.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:48 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Produce and meat selection on online groceries ?: The order pull worker contacts the customer via Skype and lets the customer have a look. Not that far fetched for a retailer trying to dominate the business.
I online shop groceries and have been very pleased with the veg/fruit quality. Usually better than I see on the shelves. I heard they pick from the back rooms often times for the fresh stuff. Meats I still select myself and most come from Sams Club or the local butcher
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:51 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Are you pleased with the produce they select for you?

The local box store offers "order online, pickup in store" but they are not the most efficient, customer-friendly people in the world. I am pretty sure they aren't selective, just grab what's on top, even if there's a bruised item in the bag, which I would have detected.

E
VERY pleased. Employees are super friendly and I have had no disappointments in 3 months. I use Walmart- employees hand picked for this position
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:04 AM   #36

I do most of my grocery shopping online, and pick them up at the store. The ~$3 I pay for an order of <$100 is worth what I don't spend in impulse buying when I take DH with me and he gets stuck in the bakery & booze sections. I am generally always pleased with the produce selections and on the rare occasion I haven't been, exchanges are quick and painless.

Amazon is glorious - I probably do 90% of my buying from there. I'd think "I need a powdered sugar shaker that isn't plastic but has a cover" and could spend all day driving around looking for one. Now I just look at Amazon's selection and choose the one I want. I have a "two store" rule. If I go two places and they don't have it, I order it from Amazon. I'm thinking my New Year's Resolution will be a "one store" rule.

And the best part is there are no crying babies sitting in carts when I shop on Amazon. Don't get me wrong - I love babies. I just don't like shopping with them - my own, or anyone else's.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:04 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

I also hate to shop - especially malls - I get claustrophobic !

I don't mind food shopping but DH likes to food shop so I usually send him with a list.

We both like thrift stores and sometimes go with a list ! We 'll be in SoCal soon where we have a favorite thrift store.
Octogirl is offline   Reply With Quote