I Just Ate Something Weird

I can't believe that you all can't hard boil an egg properly without special equipment! :LOL: Leave it to a bunch of engineers. :D I know, "I are an eng-un-ere" myself, and y'all just want to have some fun playing with a new device. Nothing wrong with that as long as you realize that is why you bought it.

BTW, this thread inspired me to hard boil a dozen eggs using a very complicated device, a pot. I told some friends in another (unrelated) forum that I was hard boiling eggs, and three of them hard boiled a dozen eggs too. This could spread like wildfire! Egg futures, anybody? :D (just kidding!)

Last edited:
OK, so we all have our favorite way of boiling an egg, and people may like to buy precooked and pre-peeled eggs that require no work at all. But is eating eggs good for you?

Eggs are so inexpensive, nutritious and low in calories compared to "carby" food, but how about the cholesterol? Many of us are aware that the tide has turned against the egg-avoidance campaign, and experts now say that eggs are not as bad as previously thought, and that the cholesterol in eggs does not translate to cholesterol in the bloodstream. One researcher suspects that the sulfur in the egg alleviates the harm of the cholesterol, and in fact may make it good.

So, keep egging on, but I will try to eat no more than 4 or 5 a week until I, no the experts, know better.

While in Costco yesterday I checked egg prices - 18 extra large fresh eggs were about $5.40, while 24 hardboiled eggs that looked like maybe large size were $4.79. Weird. Both less expensive per egg than the $4.99 12 large fresh (?) eggs from the convenience mart, but not as large a difference as I expected.

Bought the hard boiled eggs - we have a jar of pickles that is almost out of pickles - I'll stuff a dozen in the jar in the pickle juice.

While in Costco yesterday I checked egg prices - 18 extra large fresh eggs were about $5.40, while 24 hardboiled eggs that looked like maybe large size were $4.79. Weird. Both less expensive per egg than the $4.99 12 large fresh (?) eggs from the convenience mart, but not as large a difference as I expected.

Bought the hard boiled eggs - we have a jar of pickles that is almost out of pickles - I'll stuff a dozen in the jar in the pickle juice.

Your egg prices are much higher than ours. Here we pay $1.49 to $2.29 for a dozen. Our special pasteurized eggs are $2.99 at the highest but I usually have a $.75 coupon that gets doubled. I get the pasteurized eggs so that I can still have a soft runny yolk when I make poached eggs.

Where are you that your prices are so high?

Last edited:
Easter is not so far away...

This thead brought back a very old memory, for Easter eggs I remember DM asking at the growers market for the oldest eggs they had. Most would look at her as if she had lost her mind, until she said they peel easier. A few of the older counter guys would smile like they knew that to be true.

Mom was taught that by her mom(DGM) who was born in the 1890s. Not sure of any explanation, but she/we never had a problem with peeling eggs.

She cooked in a pan much like the directions previously posted.

We don't raise poultry any more, but two neighbors sell theirs for $3.00 per dozen. I've met the chickens that lay the eggs we eat, they eat bugs outside in warm weather, just like ours did.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Your egg prices are much higher than ours. Here we pay $1.49 to $2.29 for a dozen. Our special pasteurized eggs are $2.99 at the highest but I usually have a $.75 coupon that gets doubled. I get the pasteurized eggs so that I can still have a soft runny yolk when I make poached eggs.

Where are you that your prices are so high?

La Quinta in SoCal, and I was pretty shocked as well - I need to re-check the fresh egg price at Costco to verify. The hard boiled price is from the receipt.

Back
Top Bottom