I just lost my job and need a vacation

Wannabe snowbird

Confused about dryer sheets
Well I can't say I've had a great week as I just lost my job due to restructuring but I'm trying to stay positive. In the meantime, I'm thinking about taking off for a mini holiday to Florida in the next month or two. I wondered if anyone on these boards has a place they would be kind enough to rent out in Florida for 2 or 3 weeks. Somewhere near a nice beach would be wonderful:) I was thinking St. Petes or Clearwater - I definitely want warm weather and a nice sandy beach. I just need some time away to relax, read, go for a swim, and think about my future. I'm an early 40's female who is responsible and would keep the place very clean. Thank you and have a nice day.:greetings10:

Try a vacation by owner site like homeaway or vrbo. Very reasonable rates.

A remember: Change is not always bad!

Learned COBRA tip ... in MA companies are required to pay 35% of the cobra costs for the full 18 months. This is not advertised - however - and must be applied for. Worth researching for you state.

Unemployment insurance would not be enough to pay my bills, rent and food etc.. here in Ontario - you don't receive very much here.

I did look up an owner website for condo rentals in Florida but found them to be quite expensive although some of the condo were really nice with a little balcony or terrace overlooking the beach - ahhhhhh how wonderful that would be. I'll keep looking though.

Thank you for your suggestions.

try Destin

Sorry about the job. Keep praying and stay strong.

For the vacation spot. I can recommend Silver Dunes Resorts in Destin Fl. Great beaches. Good spot for reflection this time of year. The condos rent out all eyar long for a fairly reasonable price. The best part is they come with kitchen so you can save huge on food versus eating out.

Best wishes to you as your course changes directions...

I'm checking out the rates at Silver Dunes. It seems weird that winter rates are lower than the rates for the three other seasons. You would think that there would be big demand from Northeast residents trying to get away from the winter.

Well I can't say I've had a great week as I just lost my job due to restructuring but I'm trying to stay positive. In the meantime, I'm thinking about taking off for a mini holiday to Florida in the next month or two.

Maybe I'm out of phase or something, but if I'd just lost my job the last thing I'd be thinking about is a vacation. I'd be looking for another job while hanging on to every nickel I had left. Might want to be able to buy some food or something....

I'm checking out the rates at Silver Dunes. It seems weird that winter rates are lower than the rates for the three other seasons. You would think that there would be big demand from Northeast residents trying to get away from the winter.

No, that makes sense. The high season is summer when the water is warm. Winter is more for reflection and resetting the mind. Might be perfect for someone rethinking their future following an unexpected job loss.

I mostly agree Walt. I would not spend long..maybe a week of reflection. Then my internal stress button would go off and I'd have to be back and trying to find a job. But the week of reflection might lead to efforts spent in a better direction than if you just immediatley went back at it.

Don't forget to jump on the unemployment compensation train while it's still paying off for over a year in many places.
Don't you have to be actively seeking employment (and provide evidence of same) to collect unemployment compensation?

Don't you have to be actively seeking employment (and provide evidence of same) to collect unemployment compensation?

:LOL:

:angel:

One can be "actively" looking by submitting resumes to online sites, like monster, and/or by applying to company sites. Heck, it's sometimes weeks/months before you get a response; i.e. if you get one at all...

When I was laid off, about a year-and-a-half ago, I pondered taking a roadtrip. Alas, even with UEI, and severence pay, I decided to play it close to the vest, and keep banking any excess for the rainy day fund.

Still, would've loved to take a month or two or more roadtrip...

I am still on the company payroll for a few months and have some savings which is why I am thinking about getting away for a few weeks - okay maybe not 3 weeks (would be nice though) even a week somewhere would be ideal. I have been looking on job boards as well as getting the word out to friends and family to keep their eyes open for any open job postings where they work. I just thought it would be nice to get away before the depression sinks in. It's hard when your used to going to work every day, being productive, and interacting with co-workers and then all of a sudden your home all day thinking about the job you just lost - one can go a little mad after awhile. I do get out here and there but now that the weather is getting cold and the snow is soon to come, it will be harder to get motivated.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom