Join Early Retirement Today

I like busy but not always
Old 10-19-2018, 07:07 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I like busy but not always

Since, I retired and have not sat still very often, and just stay busy with many of my interests and ranch and outdoor love. I love it that way on my terms. LOL

What I don't like is having commitments to do I have to get done. It is to much like work but again, these tasks really aren't that big of deal but still remind me of work.

I do large wood carvings and I do sell them across the country. I have one I had to get ready yesterday for shipping and arranging payment etc.. I don't care for the hustle and bustle of the business work any more. I know it really isn't a big deal but it is taking time away from my playing and enjoying life. I can get testy just making all the arrangements. Not good!

I know the responses will be don't carve and don't do it. I understand that also. This mood shows me I have come to a time in my life that it is time just to have fun and relax.

Anyone else get this way with commitments they have to get done?
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2018, 08:03 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Yep. I am still a little earlier in the stage than you, but it strikes a cord for sure. Starting last April I was able to negotiate working 4 hours per day rather than 8. (My version of OMY) At the beginning I thought it was great! Way more time for stuff, focus on starting down that retired path. Now, 6 months later, I am whining that I have to work these 4 hours.
Life is full of bits. Some crappy some great, I think it is about balance, you enjoy your carvings and you are proud to sell them, but with that comes schedule, and hustle. Don't worry you are doing it right.
justlikebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:24 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I was retired for a year before I went back to work one day a week to help, as the manager who took my place left suddenly. At first it felt great to be back, but after about 8 months, even one day felt like an imposition. I left, but still remain "on call" in their minds. I plan to turn down any calls I get, though!
I like waking up every day and having the whole day mine to do what I want, when I want!
Old 10-19-2018, 08:47 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Taking time with no noise, no distractions is precious. I would not say meditation but quiet time with my thoughts helps me forgive those I'm mad at, understand people or opinions I don't agree with, open my mind to alternative solutions to problems. I used to hold grudges because I didn't have time to work out solutions and I believe I can only work things through in quiet perspective blocks of time.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:50 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I understand completely. Just last month I gave up my part-time gig (maybe 150 hours/year) creating hands-on activities for high school students. Part of it was great fun - the creativity, the interaction with the kids, the interaction with the adults who enjoyed them more than the kids. But I just got tired of the responsibility and deadlines - being on someone else's schedule is becoming less and less attractive and being THE PERSON who is responsible even less so.

I'm still singing in a group that specializes in 15th century music. The reward/obligation ratio still tips in favor of that one.
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:22 AM   #6

I’m still evolving. The first year of ER was filled with family visits, travel, and some volunteer work. The second year, volunteer work increased and travel decreased. Feels too much like work, so I’ll be reducing my volunteer involvement in 2019 and focusing more on being spontaneous with my time when we are not traveling.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:32 AM   #7

This is what I do. I plan activities for the whole week, but if someday I don’t feel like going to any planned activities, then I don’t. No angst.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:36 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I dislike deadlines and commitments. I tend to listen to my body now and not force it. If I am full of energy, I get busy. But if I feel tired and depleted (like now), I slow down. The worst is when I have commitments during a period of low energy.

And, as an introvert, I also need a lot of quiet time by myself no matter how I feel.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:43 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

My golf buddies of 12 or so have a firm 8:30 tee time m-f. Some actually play everyday. I guess it's the structure that is similar to a job that they like. Me.....I play with them a couple of times a week and 9 holes by myself a couple of times whenever I want to. Just don't like the early bird structure every day of the week. Got it tough when all you have to worry about is when to play golf.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:18 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Like to volunteer, but typically pick non recurring or open date assignments.
Same thing with board games - don't like to commit to the same time and date every week.