Join Early Retirement Today

I need a compact full page scanner for occasional use
Old 01-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I need a compact full page scanner for occasional use

Any recs for a compact scanner? I use a simple, quality b&w laser printer, so no combo printer/scanner. My space is quite limited, but it would be easier for me to scan things at home from time to time.

Any suggestions or recs?

Thanks,

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2011, 11:27 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

This should work for documents quite well

Amazon.com: Visioneer Ultra-Slim OneTouch 7400 USB Photo Scanner (74007D-WU): Electronics
Old 01-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I gave up on scanners with the quality of current digital cameras.
Better cameras on macro settings (typically indicated by the flower symbol on compact cameras) take quite satisfactory images.
It might be worth a try with your existing camera.
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:56 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Better cameras on macro settings (typically indicated by the flower symbol on compact cameras) take quite satisfactory images.
I agree with sailor. I occasionally need to make copies of documents and have found the use of a digital camera with a macro setting to be satisfactory.

To decide if a camera is the way to go, ask yourself

1) is the content the important aspect of the document, or

2) is the aesthetics the important aspect.

Is the answer is 1) then a digital camera should be satisfactory. If 2), then a camera is not the way to go.

My "process" for using the camera is

1) set the picture size to 1 meg (otherwise, you get a humongous copy),

2) select macro setting,

3) place document on dining room table under light fixture,

4) take picture of document while holding camera by hand,

5) review image using camera preview feature. If not sharp, repeat 4.

6) transfer image to PC for long-term storage, printing, etc.
Dudester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My BIL uses one similar to this:

Amazon.com: Canon LiDE200 Color Image Scanner (2924B002): Electronics

he swears by Canon scanners. In fact I think he has two or three. He is the family historian and when he travels he looks up family members on the tree and if they have pictures and documents he scans them in. Several times he has no had his scanner with him and he buys another. Always a Canon. He has been doing this for about 10 years.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:51 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Amazon.com: Mobileoffice S400 Scanner: Electronics

If you want even smaller

You can look at some of the other recommended ones... I just did a quick search to get this kind...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:33 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
I figured out a long time ago (5-6 years) that a Scanner is nothing more than a fixed focus camera with a handy platform to place things on. (For this discussion, film duplication is not considered.) All a scanner does is take a digital photograph and save it as a (most often) jpeg file. Almost all Digital Cameras have IS (Image Stabillization) anymore so all you have to do is get the lens parallel with the document and push the button.

You can't much more portable than a Camera, particularly if it is part of your telephone.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:36 PM   #8

I lust after the Fujitsu s1500, but that may be more scanner than you need.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:12 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I agree with Sailor. My compact scanner is my camera.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:44 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I figured out a long time ago (5-6 years) that a Scanner is nothing more than a fixed focus camera with a handy platform to place things on. (For this discussion, film duplication is not considered.) All a scanner does is take a digital photograph and save it as a (most often) jpeg file. Almost all Digital Cameras have IS (Image Stabillization) anymore so all you have to do is get the lens parallel with the document and push the button.

You can't much more portable than a Camera, particularly if it is part of your telephone.
I've done it, it definitely works, is cheap and portable (if you already have an existing camera). But I find the scanner to be far easier if you want decent quality. The flat bed keeps everything aligned (no 'pincushion' or 'keystone' effect) and the built in light gives perfectly even lighting.

But it's an option worth trying. If it suits your needs, you're all set!

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:24 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I've done it, it definitely works, is cheap and portable (if you already have an existing camera). But I find the scanner to be far easier if you want decent quality. The flat bed keeps everything aligned (no 'pincushion' or 'keystone' effect) and the built in light gives perfectly even lighting.

But it's an option worth trying. If it suits your needs, you're all set!

-ERD50
I handled my immediate needs this afternoon by walking down to Kinko's and having them scan them onto stick.

I think I will likely go with one of the dedicated scanners mentioned for doing more work, as Kinko's is neither cheap not handy for more than occasional jobs.

Thanks to everyone for the sugestions.

Ha
Old 01-27-2011, 06:12 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

If you want value/cheap and don't care for the latest and greatest, a local Goodwill usually has older scanners for about $10. As a bonus, with software (Photocopier - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com) you can even make the cheap scanner act like a copier which scans the document, then prints the "copy" to your printer.

If you wan't to go brand new, here's something simple and portable for a good price:
Canon CanoScan 110 LiDE Photo Scanner - 2400 x 4800 dpi, 48-bit Color, 16-Bit Gray Scale, USB at TigerDirect.com
Old 01-27-2011, 06:36 PM   #13

I saw a commercial for this on tv -
The Neat Company - Scanner Mobile ADF : Scanner Portable : White Scanner : Travel Scanner : Small Scanner : USB Scanner : Neat Receipts Scanners : NeatCo.com

Small footprint, looks like it's easy to use.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickj View Post
Stay away from these - I have had a few and they were all very flaky. The Fujitsu mentioned above is the gold standard.
bltkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:17 AM   #15

I've had this one from Canon for a few years, and I've been very happy with it.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #16

Here is a comparison of a scan from a Canon LIDE600F (older model) and a photo from a LUMIX 12MP camera. Both are 1.5M.
EDIT: After posting, I notice the size will not allow the quality to come thru but when magnified both are razor sharp letters, I swear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image0063.jpg (846.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (839.5 KB, 12 views)
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:03 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Here is a comparison of a scan from a Canon LIDE600F (older model) and a photo from a LUMIX 12MP camera. Both are 1.5M.
EDIT: After posting, I notice the size will not allow the quality to come thru but when magnified both are razor sharp letters, I swear.
That's what I was talking about. A little more experience with the camera and they would have been identical -- focal length, for instance, to get rid of the distortion. If that is even important.

I use the Sun to provide light... either inside near a window or outside on a table. Use direct sunlight (if it doesn't reflect) and let the camera choose the settings.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:06 PM   #18

Yeah, the paper would not lay completely flat, so the scanner took care of that. Someone above mentioned that the key is whether you just need to capture the data or you need a nice repro, so each probably has it's own unique advantages.

Just thought I would do my own Consumer Reports testing, and from what I saw on my screen, at 2x viewing all the letters on both were razor sharp. So for keeping copies of bills, or making a copy to archived data, the camera seems more than adequate.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
I've had this one from Canon for a few years, and I've been very happy with it.
My mistake. I recommended a copier, not a scanner.

I use a Lexmark X1150 inkjet scanner, and I'm happy with it.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:14 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Fujitsu Snap Scan is an excellent stand alone scanner but cost around $400 or so. It has a bulk feed, double sided and easy to set up. I use it in my office and love it.
ZMAN is offline   Reply With Quote