I need a good mechanic's creeper

corn18

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have owned about 5 mechanic's creepers over the years and they all break. I would love to invest in one that will last the rest of my life. I don't do a lot of work under the vehicles, but all the creepers I have owned have broken, usually a wheel breaks off.

I know there are a lot of mechanic types on here and would appreciate your recommendations. Money is no object. I just want one that will last normal use. Prefer something low profile with places to put parts and small tools.

I gave up on creepers years ago and gave my last one (Snap-On) away. I got tired of the wheels binding up and being unable to move the way I want to. I save fairly large sheets of clean cardboard to lay under the car to slide in and out on. This way if you have an unexpected fluid spill, your floor is protected too.

I spent the last 15 years of my career under vehicles completing loss damage assessments for trainees. I found that a nice soft rug from Walmart for under 25 bucks was the best service I received as a "creeper" It is especially valuable if you are unable to get the vehicle off the ground more than a foot or so. I had the same problem you have had with creepers including them not wanting to roll around on various surfaces. Sorry I can't recommend a creeper for you.

VW

I gave up on creepers years ago and gave my last one (Snap-On) away. I got tired of the wheels binding up and being unable to move the way I want to. I save fairly large sheets of clean cardboard to lay under the car to slide in and out on. This way if you have an unexpected fluid spill, your floor is protected too.
+1

Cardboard is free, slides on easily, and soaks up most fluid. It is also nice insulating from the cold concrete in winter.

Couldn't find a Bone in stock, so I went to Harbor Freight and got this one. Very heavy duty and large wheels to roll over things. This should hold up.

58470_W3.jpg

Cardboard is free, slides on easily, and soaks up most fluid. It is also nice insulating from the cold concrete in winter.
Yep, it's the best.... I do have a couple of creepers hanging in the garage but they have just become decor. Much prefer cardboard.

Last edited:
I needed a creeper to get under the switch engine. I put a sheet of plywood over the ties.

When I am working on the underside of my 35 ft 5th wheel RV, I don't want to move a bunch of cardboard around. I don't have that much cardboard.

Yep, it's the best.... I do have a couple of creepers hanging in the garage but they have just become decor. Much prefer cardboard.
I have had a creeper for many years. It has done a great job hanging on the wall! Cardboard or an old rug is much better for me. Creeper in effect reduces clearance under vehicle, moves counter to torque I am trying to apply, etc. etc.

I've been wrenching for well over 50 years. I've tried creepers but hate having reduced clearance and fighting the casters not moving the way I want them to. My creeper was relegated to being an engine holder for 10 years or so. Rugs and cardboard for me when I don't just crawl under the cars by myself. I hope this one fills your needs and wants. If I had to move from one end to the other of an RV, maybe I would think twice.

Back
Top Bottom