Join Early Retirement Today

I need a new router
Old 07-01-2017, 05:24 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I need a new router

I know nothing about routers other than:

1. Apple routers are white

2. My older Apple router (8 or 9 years old) at my lake house never shows green and doesn't extend very far around the cottage.

So, I've been told I need a new one. I was also told I don't necessarily need to buy an Apple.

What would you buy. (My computers are all Macs, as well as my phones)

Thanks
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2017, 05:50 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm researching wifi routers right now.. I need an upgrade. A few things I found:

- New devices support both 2.4 and 5 GHz broadcast. The 5 is faster. Old devices (like iphone 4 and earlier) don't support 5
- FCC upped the power limits on wifi boxes in 2014.. So, a newer device should be
more powerful and have longer range.
- I've seen price ranges from $20 to $400.. such a wide margin! (But you're not getting much more transmit power from higher priced devices..)
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 05:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpack View Post
I'm researching wifi routers right now.. I need an upgrade. A few things I found:

- New devices support both 2.4 and 5 GHz broadcast. The 5 is faster. Old devices (like iphone 4 and earlier) don't support 5
- FCC upped the power limits on wifi boxes in 2014.. So, a newer device should be
more powerful and have longer range.
- I've seen price ranges from $20 to $400.. such a wide margin! (But you're not getting much more transmit power from higher priced devices..)
Besides wifi the differences occur in the capability of firewalls built in, add on features like USB ports to plug hard drives in etc. IMHO the important thing is what can you do to block intruders on the firewall. Also of course how much you want to play in the internet of things sandbox. (The more IOT things the greater the risk necessitating a better firewall, as a lot of IOT devices are full of big holes in security)
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 05:55 AM   #4

Not much info to make a recommendation.

What kind of internet service do you have? What data speed does it support up and down load speeds.

How many devices do you use at one time?

How much data are you slinging around? Are you streaming video? If so at what definition? HD? 4K?

In general home routers are not generally intended for extending far beyond the house. This is not saying they can't extend.

Can you answer how you intend to use wifi?
I use multiple routers in my home to improve coverage and speed. However, I do not use bleeding edge devices. I have 30Mbps download speed (cable) which is far more than I need. However, I don't do high res streaming.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:20 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I like Bosch routers. I find the depth stop is easy to adjust and stays put.

... Whoops, wrong router!

At 9 years, your old router definitely has limits. I think you should have good luck with most any new, medium priced router. Definitely be 5Ghz ready, even if your devices can't do it. Your future devices will.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:27 AM   #6

One suggestion:

The Best Wi-Fi Router (for Most People)
Old 07-01-2017, 06:31 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Yeah, that's the price class I'm thinking of. Good suggestion.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I like Bosch routers. I find the depth stop is easy to adjust and stays put.

... Whoops, wrong router!

At 9 years, your old router definitely has limits. I think you should have good luck with most any new, medium priced router. Definitely be 5Ghz ready, even if your devices can't do it. Your future devices will.
Note if the device has a spare usb slot you can get a 5ghz usb dongle that will allow connecting via it on 5 ghz.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
Not much info to make a recommendation.

What kind of internet service do you have? What data speed does it support up and down load speeds.

How many devices do you use at one time?

How much data are you slinging around? Are you streaming video? If so at what definition? HD? 4K?

In general home routers are not generally intended for extending far beyond the house. This is not saying they can't extend.

Can you answer how you intend to use wifi?
I use multiple routers in my home to improve coverage and speed. However, I do not use bleeding edge devices. I have 30Mbps download speed (cable) which is far more than I need. However, I don't do high res streaming.
Internet service: Spectrum, cable. 60mps (is what I'm paying for, anyway)

We may use as many as 4 devices at one time, although typically, one or two.

We stream Netflix, MLB, PGA...no games

I do use Airport Express units to play music, but those units are also 8-9 years old and they cut out often enough to irritate me. I would love to update that system as well.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
Internet service: Spectrum, cable. 60mps (is what I'm paying for, anyway)

We may use as many as 4 devices at one time, although typically, one or two.

We stream Netflix, MLB, PGA...no games

I do use Airport Express units to play music, but those units are also 8-9 years old and they cut out often enough to irritate me. I would love to update that system as well.
I was told that Apple routers don't always play nicely with cable modems (although my DD has that setup and it seems to work fine). Most of what you can get today is "plug and play", so unless you are a cutting edge user, I'd consider price a big component of the decision.
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:09 AM   #11

What is the purpose of USB ports on a router?
Old 07-01-2017, 08:10 AM   #12

I use Apple Time Machine, the coverage area is good all over my 1/3 acre lot. The router resides downstairs in the family room and works upstairs across the house to outside by the pool with no issues. But the auto backup of all of the laptops is the one thing I could not ever be without.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:15 AM   #13

Quote:
You can plug in an external hard drive and use it to back up all users on the network in one place (see Just-Steve's comment)
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:50 AM   #14

Quote:
In addition to Euro's and JustSteve's comments, some routers allow connecting USB printer to their USB ports and act as a print server on the network.
jimbee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:54 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I bought this router a few months a go and its working great.
We do have it near the tv, so we plug it into the tv instead of streaming netflix.

Otherwise it does much better than our old one for range and speed, and it was cheap at $25.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16833704039
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:15 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I bought this one in April:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is listed as the number one best selling computer router bought through Amazon. I guess it's OK although it is more expensive than some. I have been getting bumped off now and then but I think that is not due to the router. It has plenty of range and Frank can log in to it from next door, using my password, if he wants to.

Set up was easy and almost instant. Took less than 30 seconds, IIRC.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:40 AM   #17

A new Apple AirPort Extreme or Apple Time Capsule will probably be the most hassle free for you, but the technology is now four years old and it does not look like they plan on updating their router products any further.

Another simple solution is Google Wifi. You can start with just a single WiFi pod, and if you need additional coverage it's easy to add extra units. I have three Google Wifi pods in my home and have been very happy with them. And I don't like messing around with complicated router settings, which so far I haven't had to. They have great technical support as well if you need assistance.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:36 AM   #18

I have four or five routers in my house. One came with the internet provider, one hooked to it and goes to printers, tv, game box, and out to guest house. One goes straight to Dish box. One of these is an older Lynksys (about 10 years or more) I don't really see much difference in any of them.

My internet speed is limited to 12 meg, so a gigabit router is useless to me. I don't transfer large files across the home network, and if I did I would not be in a hurry and they could transfer at night.

For me, your needs may be different, an inepensive N router is fine! Your old Apple router was most likely single band, A/B maybe G router. If this was satisfactory why spend more for something you really don't need. On the other hand if your INet provider is pumping 4k video at high bandwidth, a better router may be worth it.

The router in braumeister post looks good! Good luck!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:52 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I bought this router a few months a go and its working great.
We do have it near the tv, so we plug it into the tv instead of streaming netflix.

Otherwise it does much better than our old one for range and speed, and it was cheap at $25.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16833704039
Thanks, I bookmarked it for when I need a replacement. $25 is good.

My router (NETGEAR Router WGR614v10), and I've bought the same one for several family members, was cheap, and got mixed reviews. But it has always worked just fine for everyone. It's been in constant use here for 4.5 years, no issues that I recall, we get a strong signal throughout the house and outside for a ways (I should check for updated FW, though I suppose support has ended).

I guess maybe the more $$ ones make sense if you want the USB capability, and/or have a very challenging environment, though I think a cheap repeater might be a better solution for range issues?

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Besides wifi the differences occur in the capability of firewalls built in, add on features like USB ports to plug hard drives in etc. IMHO the important thing is what can you do to block intruders on the firewall. Also of course how much you want to play in the internet of things sandbox. (The more IOT things the greater the risk necessitating a better firewall, as a lot of IOT devices are full of big holes in security)

What is IOT?

Firewalls sound like a good thing. how do I learn which models have sufficient firewall capability, and how do learn how to utilize that capability?