Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

I need suggestions for easy curry
Old 04-15-2014, 04:17 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I need suggestions for easy curry

I have turmeric, coriander and cumin, which I read are the main curry spices. (I have or can get any other common spices that I might need.) I buy them from a Pennzy's store, so they are much cheaper in quantity than supermarket spices.I figure to use these, and variable amounts of hot red pepper like cayenne. I suppose I'll toast the ground spices in coconut oil, then coconut flour to make a roux, then garlic and onion. Coconut milk or coconut cream which TJ sells in inexpensive cans about the size I will need for the finlal blending.

My idea is to make a few days worth, then use it as a sauce to heat or cook mostly chicken, pork, lamb and fish. I have other spices, or can get them, so should I use anything else? Is my basic plan ok, or seriously lacking?

I've been using frozen cod and haddock and sole from TJ, but I find that I like them better in sauce. So far I have been limited to cream sauce or a tomato sauce. I want curry to be #3 choice. I'm planning on keeping it gluten free.

I cook a lot, but do not consider myself cook as many of the members here are. Still I have to eat, and I surely prefer it to be tasty..

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2014, 04:58 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This should give you some ideas. (I buy coconut milk, not coconut cream)
Indian Fish Coconut Curry Recipe | Steamy Kitchen Recipes

Seek out recipe books by Madhur Jaffrey - she has very good, authentic, Indian recipes.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:45 PM   #3

I'm sure your method would be good but too much work for me. I use Mae Ploy curry paste, both yellow and red, purchased online from Amazon and other online grocery stores. Stores well in the refrigerator and easy to fix up a quick meal. Just heat up some oil, mix in the paste for a couple minutes, then add the milk and any other ingredients you want. Coconut milk is the preferred choice but I just use what I have in the frig, almond milk usually, and it comes out very good.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:06 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ha, add some chopped garlic and ginger. When you make the curry, saute the spices in some oil or fat before you add the other ingredients -- it will make the flavors bloom. I also find that a touch of cinnamon works well with the spices you've listed, as does black (smoked) cardamom.

Have fun!
Old 04-16-2014, 03:21 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

We really like the recipes and cooking instructions in the book 660 Curries.

660 Curries: Raghavan Iyer: 9780761137870: Amazon.com: Books

They are easy to follow for an American kitchen and the tastes are generally very good to our palates. The author shows how to make a variety of spice mixes that can be used over and over again.

Once you get familiar with the methods it's really easy to make some delicious food with whatever you have around.
ImThinkin2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:51 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I like Thai curry paste and sometimes use an off the shelf curry powder. Coconut milk and some chicken broth. Sometimes a tsp of garam masala (I used to make it myself like you do the curry powder but now I just buy a jar).
Old 04-16-2014, 07:25 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Ha, are you trying to curry favor with a special lady friend?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I use Mae Ploy curry paste, both yellow and red, purchased online from Amazon and other online grocery stores. Stores well in the refrigerator and easy to fix up a quick meal.
+1 on the Mae Ploy curry pastes. In addition to red and yellow, they make green, Panang, and Masman, which are all excellent. My wife prefers the Masman, but we try to keep them all on hand for variety. Good stuff, relatively inexpensive, and stores well. Many Asian stores carry this brand, or you can find them easily online, as zinger says.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:43 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I am making a simplified "from scratch" codfish curry for my supper tonight.

I tried to get some of the Mae Ploy today in ordinary stores, but I think I will either go to International District in a few days or order from Amazon.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions!

Ha
Old 04-16-2014, 06:48 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I'm sure your method would be good but too much work for me. I use Mae Ploy curry paste, both yellow and red, purchased online from Amazon and other online grocery stores. Stores well in the refrigerator and easy to fix up a quick meal. Just heat up some oil, mix in the paste for a couple minutes, then add the milk and any other ingredients you want. Coconut milk is the preferred choice but I just use what I have in the frig, almond milk usually, and it comes out very good.
+2 on the Mae Ploy curry paste. I get it either on Amazon or at southeast Asian grocery stores.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:01 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

We use prepared curry pastes mostly. They are $1 to $1.29 per 4 oz can and sometimes I'll get a big 2 lb 3 oz (1 kg) tub of the Mae Ploy for about $6. Favorite types include yellow curry, red curry, and massaman curry. Maesri is also an excellent brand and I like it better than Mae Ploy but it's more expensive, especially in the large tubs.

There's a dozen different ways to cook with it. Marinate diced meat in the paste, then pan fry for a few minutes. Once it's a little browned, toss in some diced veggies, more paste, and water depending on how soupy you want it. Other good liquids include plain yogurt (= more Indian style), heavy cream or half and half, milk, coconut milk (=Thai style).

A good thai curry is the red curry paste, peeled shrimp, coconut milk, diced potatoes and onions. Heat to a boil and let it simmer until the potatoes are done. If you don't want overcooked shrimp or mushy onions, simmer the potatoes 5 min, toss the onions in for 5 minutes more, then toss the shrimp in for another 5 minutes.

My wife likes the dry curry powder. Me not so much. I think it's also $6 for a big jar (maybe 16-24 oz??). I believe it's more of an Indian taste than Thai/Malay. We get this dry powder and the cans/tubs of paste from the local Asian grocery.

Another big favorite is Kitchen's of India butter curry paste. Unbelievably good. It's $1 to $1.50 per 3-4 oz package when you buy a 6 pack from Amazon. Definitely recommend, and their other curry pastes are pretty good too.

All these recommended curries are made in Thailand or India so you know they are legit.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:54 PM   #12

Good luck with your curry tonight, Ha. I like to experiment with various proportions of garlic, onion, cumin, coriander, turmeric, cardamom, ginger, cinnamon, and hot pepper in curries. Some times they turn out good. Sometimes they turn out great. You can't really miss with those ingredients. My latest attempt was to create a Mexican "curry." I went heavy on the cumin, coriander, garlic, onion, and pepper in a tomato-y sauce...stewed with diced vegetables, chicken, and hominy.
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:17 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

When it comes to curry dishes, my wife is the one who always prepares it, and I admit to knowing little about curry. She uses a premade mix, which I never look into.

This thread made me curious about the different curry variations, and a search on the Web yielded the following link which describes the curries from around the world. By the way, I always assumed that curry had to have turmeric which gave the curry its yellow color, but just learn that while turmeric is common in Indian curry, it may be absent in other countries' variations.

Curries from Around the World: Differences by Country

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:45 AM   #14

If it is Indian style you are going for instead of Thai, +2 on the garam masala recommendation. Heated in oil or preferably ghee, a good garam masala really adds complex flavors.

If it is a milder flavor protein being added (chicken/turkey,etc) we often add cashew nuts and/or raisins or sultanas. The cashew nuts add creaminess and I'm just a sucker for sweet sultanas in a hot curry for that biryani style taste.

Lastly, DW will treat me sometimes and make "cauli-rice" instead of basmati or wild rice. Basically, just rice a full head of cauliflower and dry it on a sheet in the oven. Honestly, it tastes just like rice, is less filling and the cauliflower taste is just something that goes so well in Indian food anyway (aloo gobi, etc)
Old 04-19-2014, 01:20 PM   #15

I like to make up big batches of curry and have them for dinner, then left over lunches at work, then left over dinners, then more left over lunches, then more left over dinners....

I shop at Von's in Cal, and buy this

Cut one whole sweet yellow onion, one whole potato, 3 carrots, 3 stalks of celery.

Heat up some olive oil and butter - toss in about 6 diced skinned chicken thighs and brown.

Put in the chopped & diced vegetables, add 6 cups of water, bring to a boil.

Then add in the package of curry, stir until thick, turn to low and simmer for 1hr.

Serve over rice.

Easy....Yum
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
+2 on the Mae Ploy curry paste. I get it either on Amazon or at southeast Asian grocery stores.
+3.

Easy, and it keeps in the fridge for a long time. I usually make green chicken curry in a huge batch then freeze lots of it in individual plastic containers. That and pork adobo are my money moves for pulling something out of freezer to throw over rice.
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote