Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-26-2016, 10:09 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I assume that the authorities have that email address and will chase the culprit down?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2016, 10:10 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was in the opm thing and the opm second thing and the home depot thing and .... and .... Right now I am getting reports from multiple watch programs set up by a variety of entities. That's scary enough but these "lifelock" types always say they will spend up to $1M dollars to solve a problem. So you get into trouble and one week later someone declares the $1M is spent and no results - tough luck. OR what
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:14 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I know I have a rider on my homeowners policy for "Identity Theft Expense And Advocacy Services Coverage" but admit that I don't know what the benefits are. Cost is $27/year.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:14 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I assume that the authorities have that email address and will chase the culprit down?
I assume so....

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:37 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvrClrx311 View Post
Curious... what is the best defense to this? Seems the normal advice is always just to do your part to hide your information, but these days it can get hacked or leaked even if you are diligent. I spent some time researching LifeLock and wasn't impressed enough with their services to sign up. Maybe I should?
As far as having a credit card number stolen, there's nothing you can do other than not have credit cards. Identity theft-wise there are a few things you can do to limit it (credit freezes, alerts, checking frequently, etc.), but not really that much to stop it. Lifelock and it's kin are a waste of money. I wouldn't recommend them. It's just life on the wild frontier of the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
Yes. Discover immediately closed the account and is sending a new card. My emails from PayPal show the email of the person the gift cards were sent to. Is there anything I can do with that info?
Quote:
They may have the email, but I doubt anything will happen regarding catching them. I got my credit card number stolen once (many times, actually, but this is one example). I was able to see where the packages were delivered, and found the name of the owner of the house which matched the name on the shipping address for the iPads. I turned all of that information over to Discover, but as far as I was able to determine nothing was ever done about it other than giving me a new card number. The credit card companies would have to work with the police to actually catch the thieves, and I don't think most police forces want to spend the time on such a difficult to prove crime when it's easier to catch people for drug and traffic violations. I think the credit card companies just build the losses into their costs, similar to insurance companies. If I'm wrong about this, I'd love to hear it.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:50 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes. Discover immediately closed the account and is sending a new card. My emails from PayPal show the email of the person the gift cards were sent to. Is there anything I can do with that info?

Yes - call the Discover Fraud department back and tell them you have that info. They are usually interested in any details that help them track down the culprit.

Happening so fast is clearly some kind of automated thing. But still, you'd think their also automated system would shut it down after several identical charges.

Are you sure your Paypal account didn't get hacked? You had better check that to and remove any cards.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:57 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvrClrx311 View Post
Curious... what is the best defense to this? Seems the normal advice is always just to do your part to hide your information, but these days it can get hacked or leaked even if you are diligent. I spent some time researching LifeLock and wasn't impressed enough with their services to sign up. Maybe I should?
Best defense is to have other cards you can use temporarily when a card is inevitably compromised.

There isn't really anything you can do about it ahead of time. Getting email or text notifications as soon as a charge happens is the best you can do, so that you can notify the card fraud department.

Any credit card will ultimately be compromised. The only way to avoid it is to not use the card.

I have one card that we only use at 4 non-retail companies for their monthly automatic charges and that card stays locked away. It's far less likely that this particular card is compromised, but it still could happen by someone hacking into a company system. Keeping this card separate cordons it off from cards that I use online and at retailers, so when those other cards are compromised I don't have to worry about redoing my monthly automatic charges.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:46 AM   #28

I changed the password on PayPal. Since the card is no longer valid they can't do anything on there anyway. What a mess.

And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
Old 02-26-2016, 11:51 AM   #29
Administrator

MissMolly, sorry to hear you are the newest member of this club. It eventually happens to us all, and reaffirms once again the need to monitor one's finances regularly.

Edit to add: I don't understand how the credit card people let this get to $10K. High volume of gift card transactions is a dead giveaway that something is up.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:52 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I changed the password on PayPal. Since the card is no longer valid they can't do anything on there anyway. What a mess.

When my tax info got hacked I added 2nd Factor Authentication (2FA) to all the accounts that support that. Don't know if you had 2FA on in paypal, that would have made a difference in the hack you are a victim in.

Nevertheless, I like having my account more than just a password or challenge question away.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:37 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
MissMolly, sorry to hear you are the newest member of this club. It eventually happens to us all, and reaffirms once again the need to monitor one's finances regularly.

Edit to add: I don't understand how the credit card people let this get to $10K. High volume of gift card transactions is a dead giveaway that something is up.
+1

That should have been flagged immediately!
Old 02-26-2016, 01:41 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Looks like PayPal might be the target..reports of fake emails saying your PayPal account has been compromised with a fake link that will help you fix it..my nephew just got one and says it looked very authentic.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:42 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
+1

That should have been flagged immediately!
I'm suspecting PayPal as opposed to Discover. I bet the card was set up as the default payment on PayPal, and then PayPal allowed a few purchases of multiple gift cards, so it would only be a few Discover transactions instead of one per gift card. Or something like that. Because you're both right, Discover would never have allowed that many individual purchases.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:05 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I know a lot of people here talk about CCs.... and I have had that happen to me also...

BUT, even if you do not have a CC you still can have identity theft... about a year ago my DW and I went to Dallas so she could do continuing education... about a month later I was getting a call from Telecheck asking me when I was going to make good on the checks I had written...

I say 'what checks?'.... I do not buy anything with a check.... have not for over 30 years.... well, someone just used my name and address and printed up some checks that looked good... bought a few thousand worth of electronic equipment using a couple of these made up checks.. now, they did NOT have my checking account and the checks were not even with my bank!!!

I had to report it to the police and then give them the case number.... later they tried to make me jump through many hoops (and trying to make me go through their stupid phone system) or they would sue me... I finally got fed up and sent them a letter saying that if they did not stop sending me a letter saying I still owed them that I would sue THEM for illegal collection practices.... they finally stopped....

Bottom line, there is no safe hiding place... even if I did not have a bank account, they can still make up a fake one and possibly get away with it...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 02:13 PM   #35

Quote:
Other than make sure Discover has the info, not much

Quote:
Well, maybe. Discover will end up eating the loss and thus becomes the legal victim of the offense. When she is made whole (the charges are removed from the account) Miss Molly's legal status changes from victim to witness.

Taking into account the costs of the investigation, placing criminal charges, travel costs for Discover personnel and paying for Miss Molly's transportation/hotel/meals, etc. if it is even possible to place charges Discover may well conclude that the expenses don't justify their expenses and decline to press charges. This is even more likely if the offenders are overseas. Don't take it personally, this is a business decision, not a moral one.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:27 PM   #36
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Taking into account the costs of the investigation, placing criminal charges, travel costs for Discover personnel and paying for Miss Molly's transportation/hotel/meals, etc. if it is even possible to place charges Discover may well conclude that the expenses don't justify their expenses and decline to press charges. This is even more likely if the offenders are overseas. Don't take it personally, this is a business decision, not a moral one.
In 2013 while in Europe someone racked up $23k over 3 in New York and Atlanta walk-in stores such as Target on clone(s) of my Penfed card. I noticed it after 3 days since I was expecting to see a zero balance because I was using my "chipped" UK card during the 5 months of my vacation, and I had been online and provided the countries and dates that I was going to be in.

Penfed refunded everything but never asked me any questions as to where I had used the card prior to leaving the USA 3 months earlier, so I assumed no serious investigation to find the perpetrators was undertaken.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:16 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

On a gift card isn't Discover likely to just not reimburse PayPal for the bogus charge? Since it is a PayPal gift card, with a gift card number won't PayPal just void out the gift cards. Otherwise it could even be an internal PayPal fraud.

I have another nephew who works retail and someone returned something for an in store credit.Ten minutes later an employee that was doing the restocking noticed the item was damaged and unsaleable and showed signs of use. Two minutes at the computer and the offending store credit was simply zeroed out. They put the item to the side in case the person returned to complain and planned to just give them the item back.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 03:21 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I have had it happen a few times but CAP 1 is very good about quickly figuring out fraud and asking if these are my charges. One time it was a bunch of small charges and they knew it was not us because we only charge large amounts. Then once someone took flying lessons and across the country and after 1 lesson was billed they contacted me.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 03:44 PM   #39

Credit Card fraud is the least "invasive" to you assuming your bank/issuer isn't stupid. Far easier to resolve than say a checking account. Credit Cards will eat the fraud to make you whole, then go about recouping from the merchant side with you all fixed up.

Any issuer who values you as their customer will also fedex you a new card. They might not offer it, but should do so if you ask.

Gas stations are often part of the first fraud charges as the fraudster can quickly validate the card is good without having a chance that a store clerk will go "i'mma need to take that card"
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:58 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I'm suspecting PayPal as opposed to Discover. I bet the card was set up as the default payment on PayPal, and then PayPal allowed a few purchases of multiple gift cards, so it would only be a few Discover transactions instead of one per gift card. Or something like that. Because you're both right, Discover would never have allowed that many individual purchases.

I agree with this. I think it was a PayPal breech too. I also received one of those emails several weeks ago and ignored it thinking it was just a scam. But actually, all the charges were separate on both PayPal and Discover. Each one for $200. Altogether there were 47 gift cards. All processed in under 10 minutes. They must have just clicked the "Buy" button over and over as fast as they could.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum