Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

I never thought it would happen to me :(
Old 02-26-2016, 08:56 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I never thought it would happen to me :(

This morning my phone began blowing up with one text after another from Discover Card alerting me to $200 gift cards being bought through PayPal for Ebay. I was on the phone to Discover as charges were still coming through. They immediately closed my account and escalated it to the Fraud Division, I then called PayPal and alerted them. The girl in the Fraud dept told me she had never seen anything like this and they will escalate it to the Fed level. There were over 50 transactions @ $200 each - more than $10,000. What a mess!
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2016, 09:01 AM   #2

Join the group. Happens all the time. That's why fees are so high.
Bir48die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:02 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I just found out my company had a data breach and within minutes people were getting hit with bogus charges. It's scary how fast they can move, and they'll likely never be caught.
Greencheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:02 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yep - I had my identity stolen and $180K wired out of a heloc.

There are worse things that can happen.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:07 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Curious... what is the best defense to this? Seems the normal advice is always just to do your part to hide your information, but these days it can get hacked or leaked even if you are diligent. I spent some time researching LifeLock and wasn't impressed enough with their services to sign up. Maybe I should?
EvrClrx311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:08 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
That's scary. Were you made whole?
catotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:09 AM   #7

Good Golly Miss Molly
old woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:09 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by catotx View Post
That's scary. Were you made whole?
it was a heloc we had paid off but the bank never closed it; it was their fault for sending the wire

I jokingly offered a strip search for the $180K.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:11 AM   #9

Quote:
it was a heloc we had paid off but the bank never closed it; it was their fault for sending the wire
I'm sure someone got fired over that one... wow
EvrClrx311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:13 AM   #10

Thank you for the heads up. I just got a bunch of texts on my cell with no subject, so I deleted them. I went to my PayPal account, and all is OK.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:14 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

It is surprising that Discover let that many go through. My card will be put on hold if you do 3 or 4 quick transactions from similar retailers.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:14 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Guess I don't feel so paranoid now after installing the paypal mobile app on my phone, then thinking this could be a major security risk, then uninstalled the app.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:29 AM   #13

Don't know how one can keep the info from being stolen when there are so many data breaches.

Depending on the choices the credit card company or bank has, I set up alerts.

For CC the one I like best is ... getting an alert for any transaction where the physical card is not swiped.

But not all companies have that option. For those, I just have them send an alert for all transactions so I know when anything starts getting weird (like OP).
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
It is surprising that Discover let that many go through. My card will be put on hold if you do 3 or 4 quick transactions from similar retailers.
It all happened so fast. My phone started going ping ping ping as texts and emails came in one after the other. I've never heard of anything like this happening.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
Old 02-26-2016, 09:46 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I had a similar situation. Thieves had my SSN and my account number and tried to wire $100K out of my HELOC account at the credit union. Red flag was raised because the guy didn't know the name of my first cat, and transaction was denied.

So don't let those "silly" questions annoy you, and pick or create ones that are very specific to you, as opposed to "favorite color", "first instrument learned", etc. - obviously too easy to guess at.

Pete
psweath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:50 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Happened 2 days ago with my Amex. First was a charge for 1.99 at a gas station in California. Within 2 minutes, I had 7 charges through an AT&T prepaid outlet place in Oregon. While on the phone with amex, 2 more came through. It's like HFT for credit card thieves.

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:56 AM   #17

Quote:

There are worse things that can happen.
what is a heloc?
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:58 AM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Home equity line of credit
Old 02-26-2016, 10:02 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

The best thing you can do is check your account often, and set up lots of alerts to go to your cell phone & email.

Amex is very good at catching suspicious charges; DH and I have had our Amex card numbers lifted 3 times in the last few years (his twice, mine once). In each instance it was most likely due to a hacked gas station card reader. And in each instance, Amex immediately closed the affected account and sent out a new card. A bit of a hassle, but not too bad for us.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:07 AM   #20

Yes. Discover immediately closed the account and is sending a new card. My emails from PayPal show the email of the person the gift cards were sent to. Is there anything I can do with that info?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD