Join Early Retirement Today

I really don't want to work full-time
Old 10-29-2018, 07:12 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

I really don't want to work full-time

These past 5 years of "freedom" where I have worked contract jobs and despite its associated headaches of uncertainty, I am really not wanting to work a 40-hour job again.

Yet. There is that big yet, I have the nagging thought that maybe I should work a year or two.
I don't quite trust myself to withdraw at 3.5% a year.
I am a worrier at heart.

The reason for this dilemna is that I have a job interview coming up.
The hiring manager has made it very clear he wants a full-time employee.
How do I approach this interview?
Initially I thought it would be great, but now I am not so sure.
broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2018, 05:10 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadway View Post
These past 5 years of "freedom" where I have worked contract jobs and despite its associated headaches of uncertainty, I am really not wanting to work a 40-hour job again.

Yet. There is that big yet, I have the nagging thought that maybe I should work a year or two.
I am a worrier at heart.

Hello, Broadway.
I walked into a similar interview 3 years ago. The employer was very persistent, and absolutely needed someone with credentials and background that I had. What made it work for me (up until now) was to ask for a very good salary, and let the chips fall. It has worked for me because of the the healthy rate of pay. I no longer had to look for temp/contract work.

If you get an offer you want (may not be that good after all), who is to say how long you need to stay there?

Good luck with your search!
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:15 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

broadway, nobody can tell you how to proceed, but I can tell you that I "could" have retired a few years before I did, and I bridged that gap by working part-time. Part-time was wonderful. Better, IMO, for those few years than full retirement would have been for me. (emphasis on "for me")..
I have no idea if such a gig is a possibility in your line of work, but if it is, it's a wonderful thing.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Hello, Broadway.
I walked into a similar interview 3 years ago. The employer was very persistent, and absolutely needed someone with credentials and background that I had. What made it work for me (up until now) was to ask for a very good salary, and let the chips fall. It has worked for me because of the the healthy rate of pay. I no longer had to look for temp/contract work.

If you get an offer you want (may not be that good after all), who is to say how long you need to stay there?

Good luck with your search!
Same exact situation in this case as far as I can tell from initial telephone conversation with the hiring manager.
He wants to catch the technology used to that at the parent company in Germany! The catching up needs to be from 1980s to 2018.
This division was acquired. Typical story.

You are right about the offer. No discussion of salary yet.
Who knows if they are even in the ballpark.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
broadway, nobody can tell you how to proceed, but I can tell you that I "could" have retired a few years before I did, and I bridged that gap by working part-time. Part-time was wonderful. Better, IMO, for those few years than full retirement would have been for me. (emphasis on "for me")..
I have no idea if such a gig is a possibility in your line of work, but if it is, it's a wonderful thing.
I would love to work part-time.
The working contract for a few months equates to part-time.
I would like to do it continually but finding the next "gig" is the unknown.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:20 AM   #6

If you start hinting you want PT before you get past the interview, you might not get any offer.

Would you be willing to try FT for a few months and see? Then you might like it, or if not, try to negotiate your way down to PT once they see you in action and appreciate your value.

Otherwise, any hiring manager may likely going to pass on you for someone with more enthusiasm (unless it's a particular rare niche).
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:20 AM   #7

Quote:
I would love to work part-time.
The working contract for a few months equates to part-time.
I would like to do it continually but finding the next "gig" is the unknown.
broadway, maybe a combo of asking for a high salary along with 50/50 telework/office and any other perks you can ask for. Good luck. Keep us posted please.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:24 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Same exact situation in this case as far as I can tell from initial telephone conversation with the hiring manager.
He wants to catch the technology used to that at the parent company in Germany! The catching up needs to be from 1980s to 2018.
This division was acquired. Typical story.

You are right about the offer. No discussion of salary yet.
Who knows if they are even in the ballpark.
Holy Frijole, I worked at a German-owned US subsidiary, as a consultant, before 2000. They fired previous salesguy CEO #1 to move company forward. The replacement was slicker, but still clueless. I spent many hours explaining to him that SAP installation and maintenance would cost more than the US subsidiary was worth. Eventually he canned me, and they canned him...

I know you'll do well with this interview. After all, you know stuff they do not. I always thought of myself as mercenary. "I may be served up as the reason your stupid project failed, but I will get compensated to my satisfaction."
Old 10-30-2018, 02:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
If you start hinting you want PT before you get past the interview, you might not get any offer.

Would you be willing to try FT for a few months and see? Then you might like it, or if not, try to negotiate your way down to PT once they see you in action and appreciate your value.

Otherwise, any hiring manager may likely going to pass on you for someone with more enthusiasm (unless it's a particular rare niche).
I agree that hinting at PT now is not a good idea.

To work FT, the salary has to be what I want, and I already have a figure in mind.

Thanks for all the great advice.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:49 PM   #10
gone traveling

Quote:
I am really not wanting to work a 40-hour job again.

Only you can decide if you are capable of doing what you need to do rather than just doing whatever you want to do.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:03 AM   #11

update:

Onsite interview last week.
Salary topic was broached with both hiring manager and their HR recruiter.
Today had a phone interview with another manager.

Turns out that the reason they really are hiring is because someone left.

So they appear to be wanting to replace the person who left and a contractor who comes in and from 2 hours away.
1.5 persons
LOL
Old 11-06-2018, 10:31 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like you positioned yourself well, as someone who can do some work when their strategy fails.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:47 AM   #13

I was always told at, MegaCorp, that if a hiring manager had an approved req for a full time person, then that is indeed what they would hire.

I was able to work part-time for about 6 months before I transitioned out of the workforce and it was great.

-gauss
gauss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:51 PM   #14

The OP sure rings true for me also. I come across many opportunities that are full time, and I just don't want the hours.

I think it was Nords posted a long time back " I could so do that job " and Mrs. Nords brings him back to reality with " Why ?"
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:10 PM   #15

Another email for another phone interview with yet another person.
I agreed.

Seeing this to its conclusion.

I have no intention of doing 1.5 person's work.

I don't want to work full time any more
Old 11-07-2018, 08:00 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't want to work full time any more

broadway,
do not agree to doing 1.5 person's work.

I announced at work in Sept that I'll leave in 2019 - and today the manager "dumped" another big project on me ! It requires additional training and lots of HR forms.

It feels like they are punishing me for leaving !
Octogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:03 PM   #17

When I went in I thought that I was going to be replacing the contractor.

It was only after doing the phone interview, that I realized that a person had left and his work needed to be done. The manager on this phone interview told me that I would be doing 50/50. Ha! If one person spends 100% on something, and the contractor is doing something else, how am going to do both? Ridiculous.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:03 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octogirl View Post
broadway,
do not agree to doing 1.5 person's work.

I announced at work in Sept that I'll leave in 2019 - and today the manager "dumped" another big project on me ! It requires additional training and lots of HR forms.

It feels like they are punishing me for leaving !
That may have been too much notice to give. I am giving 8 weeks notice, and there is no possibility for more work, in my case.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:10 AM   #19

update:

Second telephone interview this morning.

I have now received an email asking for references.

Since I have no intention of accepting a full-time, I am thinking it best to call a halt to these proceedings.

I don't want to waste the time of my references.

Thoughts?
another interview
Old 11-08-2018, 03:12 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

another interview

Hi Broadway,
Can you negotiate the hours and assignments you will accept ?
If they really need someone with your skills/experience- they may accept what ever you will offer.

This strategy has worked for me - in some scenarios

Agree- I never ask references to use their time /effort if I am not serious about a position.

Best wishes - Keep us updated
Octogirl is offline   Reply With Quote