I spent the evening with Suze Orman

Sue J

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Suze Orman was speaking at my son's college tonight. Student tickets were free and he couldn't go so he gave me his ticket.

I expected it to be her same talk that she gives on PBS, it's usually promoting her newest book. But this was little different, she started out focusing on student concerns, FICO scores, co-signing on a loan, credit cards, student loans, buying your first home. Then she took audience questions and talked about the current economic mess. The audience was about half students, half non-students.

I watch Suze's show and although I'm a mild fan, I'm not a Suze worshipper. I found her to be very genuine, a good speaker and she engaged the audience well.

My ticket was free and parking was $4 so it was a worthwhile evening.

Our local news interviewed her before the event -
Suze Orman Preaches Financial Responsibility At Kent State - Video - WEWS Cleveland

Can you tell us about the student questions? I'd be curious what their perspective is.

I'd ask my own kids, but they are already exposed to my walk-around-the-house-waving-my-arms-rants (poor kids!), not an unbiased source.

-ERD50

Man, I thought this was a post about sex with Suze. You see where my mind has been going these days. ;)

Sue J I see your paying tuition to Kent State too!

I forgot to say that the non-student tickets were $20 plus Ticketmaster fees.

The student questions were about use of credit cards and the effect on FICO scores. She was talking about how FICO scores affect your life, not just your ability to borrow. For example, landlords now check FICO scores and so do prospective employers. Your car insurance rates may go up if your FICO drops. But then again, recently, even if you pay every month, the credit card company may lower your credit line, which raises your debt to credit limit ratio, which lowers your FICO score. She also gave her talk about knowing a boyfriend's/girlfriend's FICO score before you have sex with them. It was cute and got some laughs but basically she was just saying that you need to know how the person handles their financial life before you get too involved. She gave a good example about co-signing for a vehicle for a boyfriend. If you break up later you are still responsible for the payment on the vehicle he's driving.

The university dean was in the front row and a couple of time she directly addressed the dean to talk about having personal finances taught in a class. Too many kids graduate without knowing the basics, balancing a checkbook, avoiding bank fees, safe use of credit cards and loans, basic saving and investing. One young woman asked about saving for a house, should she do that first or pay off her student loans.

She had an audience member (obviously pre-arranged) who had completed the "Save Yourself" account through TD Ameritrade. It used to be a 12 month commitment to save $50/month and then TD Ameritrade gave you $100. The program has changed to 12 months of $100/month for the $100 but she was using it to explain the value of making a commitment to saving. She even told the audience that after you get the extra $100 you should move the money to get a better interest rate.

She went off on a lot of tangents and only answered a few audience questions. She started to tell her story about being a waitress and her customers donating money for her to start her own restaurant and then she went on to something else and never finshed the story. I wanted to hear the part about her investing it with a broker, losing it all and deciding to become a stockbroker, etc.

One of the comments she made about the current economy is that she's very disappointed in Tim Geithner, Secy of Treasury. Something about expecting more transparency and feeling like they aren't letting us see what they are doing with all the bailout money. Also, to expect things to be about the same or worse until about 2015.

Sue J I see your paying tuition to Kent State too!

My son is a senior, graduating in Dec. 2009. One more payment left!!!

She had an audience member (obviously pre-arranged) who had completed the "Save Yourself" account through TD Ameritrade. It used to be a 12 month commitment to save $50/month and then TD Ameritrade gave you $100. The program has changed to 12 months of $100/month for the $100 but she was using it to explain the value of making a commitment to saving. She even told the audience that after you get the extra $100 you should move the money to get a better interest rate.

TD AmeriTrade really got a good deal out of that. I got the $100 addition and am in a state of inertia about moving the money out. At some point I will close the account to simplify the number of accounts and use the proceeds for monthly expenses. She's still making them and herself look good with the deal!

Back
Top Bottom