Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

I swear I am growing moss on all my sides
Old 04-01-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

I swear I am growing moss on all my sides

I live in a small town outside of Seattle, Washington. I love this area, I honestly do. I like the rain, most of the time. But come April I am sooooo tired of it. Take today for example. April 1---it RAINED all day today. ALL DAY!!! I am growing moss on myself! And I don't care what the old wives tales states, we have moss on our trees on the north, south, east and west sides of our trees. So if I get lost here I am SOL.

We have our old home for sale, and my wife is a wonderful gardener. That yard has a beautiful garden in it. However we are pretty occupied with our new home and our new garden, but we had set aside the last three days to whip that yard into shape in anticipation of a spring sale. We got a grand total of 4 hours yesterday. It rained on Wednesday, most of yesterday and we were going to finish it up today but it rained all day. So hopefully we can get a couple hours tomorrow or Sunday to finish....but I doubt it.

Normally I love the weather here, when the rest of the country is snowed in, we are a balmy (by comparison) mid 40's. I actually like the rain up here and our summers are awesome. But there are a couple months I just go bonkers So how is your weather these days?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2011, 09:03 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakuna matata View Post
Normally I love the weather here, when the rest of the country is snowed in, we are a balmy (by comparison) mid 40's. I actually like the rain up here and our summers are awesome. But there are a couple months I just go bonkers So how is your weather these days?
It's okay here. Not snowed in, but overcast. A few weeks ago, though, one day there was enough rain to block the satellite TV signals. Most annoying.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:05 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This is what I saw from the portal page...

I swear I am growing moss on all my...

So I just HAD to take a look at the rest of your post. .....

The weather in my area has been warm, then cool, now warm again. We got a few drops of rain the other day, but it's still very dry here. We really need some rain.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:14 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Wellll - as a Willamette valley transplant as of last November I gotta say I'm toughing through. 100 degrees yesterday and today, was actually pretty uncomfortably warm night before last. More tan this winter by accident than in the Oregon summers.. SUNSHINE BAAAAABY!

La Quinta Ca.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:02 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

We had fabulous, perfect, sunny, 70'ish weather with blue skies throughout all of March...

....punctuated with occasional severe thunderstorms with tornados, baseball sized hail, 100 mph straight line winds with higher gusts, 5"/hour rain, flooding, you name it.

In other words, it's springtime!

Sorry to hear that you are feeling so soggy up there.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:35 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

We just had a rotten week (cold, overcast and rainy), but the weekend will be more pleasant (70s and sunny). DW and I just bought outdoors recliners and we'll be lounging in the sun tomorrow.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:04 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

99F today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
SUNSHINE BAAAAABY!
+1

Quote:
... it RAINED all day today. ALL DAY!!! I am growing moss on myself!
A rolling stone gathers no moss. - Proverb
You need to keep rollin'.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:41 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So how is your weather these days?
Pretty much identical.

Ha
Old 04-02-2011, 04:49 AM   #9
Administrator

Fantastic, unseasonal sunny and warm (several days in the 60's) for March, but April showers abound now.

The sun has just broken through, we're off for a curry in a few minutes, then a walk. We'll skip the hill walking today though

‎...beside the lake, beneath the trees, fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

And then my heart with pleasure fills, and dances with the daffodils
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skelton - church.jpg (884.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-02-2011, 07:12 AM   #10

It's been quite nice here the last few days with temps in the 40s but winter is not leaving without a fight. Winter storm watch today and tonight with 2 to 4 inches of snow in the forecast.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:55 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

The OP could move to SW PA, a pleasant 32 F this morning and snowing.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:30 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

If you makes you feel any better, I look forward to my December visits to Oregon for the mild, if wet weather, compared to the cold and snow of Michigan.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:50 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

SUNSHINE today!!! Woo-hoo! It is beautiful here today. The weather forecast said rain all day but it is great out there.

I'm walkin' on sunshine, woh-oh
And don't it feel good?
Hey, all right now
And don't it feel good?
Hey, yeah
Old 04-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
If you makes you feel any better, I look forward to my December visits to Oregon for the mild, if wet weather, compared to the cold and snow of Michigan.
When I first read this I thought it said "for the mold, if wet weather" and I thought wow, Michigan must be really bad in December if you look forward to mold!

Weather forecasts are suggesting we will hit 70 in Chicago tomorrow. So tired of being chilly all the time.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:22 PM   #15

Old 04-02-2011, 07:36 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

This has been a wet and chilly spring in the Pacific NW. However, news reports from the rest of the continental 48 seem much worse.

Now, getting down to moss management... about this time Costco has a moss retardant product in inventory. It is GREAT. Husband would sprinkle it on the roof when we has prospects of a couple days without significant precip. The dew would be enough to disburse it and it was effective for several months (aka, buy enough for several applications over the year as Costco stocks it seasonally only). You don't want it close to plants you love but it is effective on driveways.

As you doubtless know our other curse is slugs, and sometimes snails. The sprinkled slug killer is fine unless you have pets (particularly dogs). Deadline is OK so long as it is dry (which means maybe three days if you are are lucky).

Oh, and pay attention to proper drainage and storm water.

The only thing worse than rain is ice, snow, hurricanes and tornadoes. Thank God for rain.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Need to live in sunny Denver. Over 300 days of sunshine per year!
Old 04-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Living in Missouri we get the best and worst of all the seasons,sometimes in a 24 hour period. I prefer the dry heat of the desert southwest with all the sunshine.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:56 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I prefer the dry heat of the desert southwest with all the sunshine.
You need to be here through one summer with temperatures up near 120F, with no hint of a wisp of cloud, in order to decide if you can stand up to this "dry heat" and will not turn into jerky.

Of course, one can always compromise and go to Texas instead.

And by the way, the rendition of Rawhide by the "Blue Brothers" that I shared earlier is more popular on youtube with 2+millions views, compared to the original by Frankie Laine that was the theme of the TV show of the same name with only 130K+ views.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:30 AM   #20

For the first time in almost a month I'll be able to take the motorcycle out and put some miles on it. Wed and Thurs are forecast to be sunny with temps in the high 50s and mid 60s respectively.

I'll remember to not move to Seattle!