Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

I think my USB ports are toast.........
Old 09-25-2007, 08:01 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think my USB ports are toast.........

Is there a way to diagnose if it works?

Also, if one or both of them are bad, how easy is it to fix them?

Thanks

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2007, 09:03 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

What are your symptoms?

The problem I've seen the most is that a pin gets bent, and if it is touching another pin you can get messages about a USB port power surge or something like that. Turn the PC off, shine a good light in there and if the pins aren't all straight, use a tweezer or a straightened paper clip to straighten them.

Other than that, make sure the USB device or cable isn't bad. Does it work on another computer? Do you have other devices and cables to try? Chances are all of them aren't bad, but it sure is nice to see them working somewhere else so you can be sure you've isolated the problem.

Next I'd probably go through the control panel and see if there are any trouble shooting steps or software repair or reset that can be done, but I'm pretty doubtful you'll find something useful. That'd be my last gasp before paying for service.

I've never had a USB port go bad ,though I do have a Dell laptop that had a port that was always tough to plugh a cable into, and one day the port connector came out with the cable. I couldn't reattach it. Dell wanted me to send in the whole laptop, I didn't want to do that, so I just got a USB hub for when I need to use more than one port.

I don't know what it takes to fix a USB port if it's actually gone bad.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:12 AM   #3
Administrator

It could be a driver problem. Check to see if your drivers are properly installed.

What kind of errors are you getting? If your getting a "failure to locate new device" msg, it's probably drivers. If you get nothing, make sure that the ports are enabled and then it may be time to visit your local tech wiz...
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:24 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
It could be a driver problem. Check to see if your drivers are properly installed.

If your getting a "failure to locate new device" msg, it's probably drivers. If you get nothing, make sure that the ports are enabled and then it may be time to visit your local tech wiz...
That's the message I get. How do I enable the ports? Like I said, it was all working fine a week ago.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
You can try this.....
Old 09-25-2007, 09:36 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

You can try this.....

Before ER.... I was an IT Manger providing tech support.

You might be able to revive the ports by deleting (or enabling) them from inside the Control Panel. Open the System icon, then click on the hardware tab. Click on the Device manager button to bring up the list of hardware devices. Expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers by clicking on the + to see each of the USB port devices.

Using the Action menu command, you can try enabling them (if they are disabled). I have found that if you delete ALL the entries and then reboot the PC, Windows XP will reinitialize the ports and reinstall the drivers from scratch on the fly. I've successfully revived many USB ports using this method.

Best of luck!
Life_is_Good is offline   Reply With Quote