Join Early Retirement Today

I Want This Car!!! :)
Old 09-23-2007, 10:57 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I Want This Car!!! :)

Real Muscle Car. 1969 GTO Hartop 500+HP Very Impressive

Where's Sarah in SC to talk me out of it? I called the guy today, and will be looking at it tomorrow..................

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2007, 02:08 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Nice!
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:19 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Nice car. I still lust after a 64 Chevy Super Sport with a 427. So FinanceDude, were you a greaser in HS? Or are you too young for that?
Old 09-24-2007, 06:32 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Nice looking car. The 3200 stall converter is not very "street driver" friendly. Just reading through all the mods....looks like it was set up for Friday nights at the drag strip. Nitrous takes it's toll on an engine after a while also. JMO....
Old 09-24-2007, 07:13 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poundkey View Post
Nice looking car. The 3200 stall converter is not very "street driver" friendly. Just reading through all the mods....looks like it was set up for Friday nights at the drag strip. Nitrous takes it's toll on an engine after a while also. JMO....
Yeah, my neighbor said the dame thing. He takes cars and fixes them up. He told me that on a car like that figure $1.00 a mile to drive it.........

Old 09-24-2007, 07:18 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Nice car. I still lust after a 64 Chevy Super Sport with a 427. So FinanceDude, were you a greaser in HS? Or are you too young for that?
Well, too young for that....... But I had a 67 Chevelle convertible when I was young, and then a 70 Chevelle hardtop, so I guess I got brainwashed then.

One of the dumbest things I ever didn't do was when I was out visiting friends at UCLA. One of the guys had a MINT 69 Camaro RS that he wanted to sell because the clutch was out of it. The guy I was traveling with was a mechanic that used to race dirt track, and he said he could put one on in half a day, and we could drive it back. I could have bought that car for $3500, and it only had 70,000 miles.......... And I had the money!!

Old 09-24-2007, 07:21 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poundkey View Post
I would probably "de-tune" it a bit. I am not a big fan of nitrous, although I knew a guy that had a Fiero GT with nitrous, and I don't think anyone ever beat him in a race..........

DW knows one of my ideas of retirement is to buy a classic car to drive everyday. Every few years, I would sell it and drive a different one......kind of a hobby...............

Old 09-24-2007, 09:35 AM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

looks like a very cool car. Looks like a nice ride.
Fred333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:57 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

DO IT FD! I passed on my cute convertible--but I'd like to live vicariously through your purchases!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:44 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I would probably "de-tune" it a bit. I am not a big fan of nitrous, although I knew a guy that had a Fiero GT with nitrous, and I don't think anyone ever beat him in a race..........
Perhaps, but it was still a Fiero...

Good luck with the Goat.. let us know what you decide.

p.s. don't forget your magnet...
Old 09-24-2007, 11:12 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bow-tie View Post

p.s. don't forget your magnet...

Otherwise known as the "anit-bondo" weapon.......

Old 09-24-2007, 12:41 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post

DW knows one of my ideas of retirement is to buy a classic car to drive everyday. Every few years, I would sell it and drive a different one......kind of a hobby...............
Besides getting away from nitrous you might not need to do a lot of de-tuning. The gearing and stall converter are all that are keeping it from being streetable. The TH-400 is a fairly low geared 3 speed auto. Couple that with the 3:73 rear diff and it's winding up pretty good at highway speed. There are some good GM 4 speed autos that would let you keep the 3:73 and drop the RPMs at highway speed. Having the extra gear and dropping the stall would make it more driveable yet still aggressive.
Bowtie Overdrives
Old 09-24-2007, 01:38 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

FD, be carefull when buying a hot rod. If your not a motor head you can run into lots of problems that will cost you a prett penny to repair. Hot rods are expensive even for guys who do it themselves but very expensive if you don't like to get your hands dirty.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:31 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
FD, be carefull when buying a hot rod. If your not a motor head you can run into lots of problems that will cost you a prett penny to repair. Hot rods are expensive even for guys who do it themselves but very expensive if you don't like to get your hands dirty.
Yeah, I'm talking myself out of it more and more. I think I'll wait, the neighbor guy down the street is always buying marginal cars and restoring them to above average condition. He says if I ever want something, he'll help me get it at a good price.

Interesting, he told me at the car shows, he ran into a LOT of "show cars"that had Chevy blocks He said ALL the best sounding cars had Chevy blocks in them, even the MoPars and Fords.........

Old 09-24-2007, 02:33 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Not a motor head, but I've rebuily power steering pumps, carburetors, etc. I used to do all the tuneups in my classics.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:15 PM   #16

that car is definatyely 'streetable' . dont let anyone fool ya! it all depends though on what you can tolerate

i agree on not using the NOS much, but it CAN be fun and addicting. another thing I noticed is that it is bored .060 over. On a small block chevy, that's the limit...it can not be re-machined and re-built again. Im not sure if thats the case on the 400, but if it is, that's a negative. especially when you dont know the exact condition of the motor

Those cars arent cheap, but im sure you could find a better deal that's been babied...not raced....
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:49 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
that car is definatyely 'streetable' . dont let anyone fool ya! it all depends though on what you can tolerate

i agree on not using the NOS much, but it CAN be fun and addicting. another thing I noticed is that it is bored .060 over. On a small block chevy, that's the limit...it can not be re-machined and re-built again. Im not sure if thats the case on the 400, but if it is, that's a negative. especially when you dont know the exact condition of the motor

Those cars arent cheap, but im sure you could find a better deal that's been babied...not raced....

I went and saw the car. It is in nice shape, but I get the feeling it's been raced pretty hard.

I told him it was a nice car, but I had to pass. He seems very motivated to sell, but his price was firm........

Old 09-25-2007, 10:32 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
i agree on not using the NOS much, but it CAN be fun and addicting.
I wasn't paying attention when I saw the reference to nitrous before. Do race aficionados buy the same tanks of nitrous that are used for dentistry and optional abuse? No controls on those bad boys?
Old 09-25-2007, 10:52 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I wasn't paying attention when I saw the reference to nitrous before. Do race aficionados buy the same tanks of nitrous that are used for dentistry and optional abuse? No controls on those bad boys?
Not sure........

Old 09-25-2007, 05:26 PM   #20

Quote:
not sure those tanks would work...but for pretty cheap, you can get a tank, bottle warmer, and all the controls/safety features you need to run NOS the RIGHT WAY. There's a series of valves, shutoffs, etc that are needed to be sure you don;t grenade the motor. You also need to be sure you're gettign enough gas at the right psi etc

but anyhow,yes they use special tanks..
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote