Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-20-2020, 03:40 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink View Post
I worked as a specialty coffee buyer, taster and roaster for 28 years and wanted to share the one way of brewing iced coffee I most recommend. Not only it it easy but unlike cold brew or even espresso it captures all of the flavors and aromas of hot coffee. Easy too.

https://youtu.be/pPM8mcqHxes
Thanks for sharing that! I'll try it tomorrow when it's early enough to have a caffeine fix!
steady saver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2020, 03:49 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Love iced coffee when it’s hot outdoor. Very refreshing. This 3 day drive we swung by Starbucks drive through every day to get iced espresso plus splash of cream for the road. Cool off and stay awake!
Old 07-20-2020, 04:12 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I use Admiral Morgan Vanilla Rum. Some people use Vodka but Kahlua is made with rum.

Making you own is a great savings!

I will be darned! I never knew it was made with rum! All the home recipes I have seen call for vodka, because it is cheaper, I guess
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 04:43 PM   #24

I grew up out side of Boston. Ice coffee was a common summer time beverage. All we did was save and cool the morning coffee (after it probably "strengthened" by sitting on the stove), and pore over ice. A little sugar, a little milk/cream. Pretty simple.

When I moved to the Midwest in 1978, I realized, at least back then, Ice Coffee (we NEVER called it ICED coffee) was very regional. I had a buddy order it out here, he got a coffee cup, with ice, and hot coffee poured on top.

I haven't had it in years, I need to brew a strong pot tomorrow morning and save it for the afternoon.
Old 07-20-2020, 05:38 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Love iced coffee, and go out for it at least once a week. Cold brew is terrific as well with a really robust flavor. Iced Vietnamese coffee is also amazing. The flavor is so strong and pronounced it almost seems like a different beverage altogether.

I prefer mine with no sugar. Just a touch of milk to tone down the acidity.
ElizabethT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 05:43 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

We once went into a Vietnamese grocery store to buy those little metals drippers for Vietnamese coffee. Then we asked what kind of coffee to use. The owner reached over and handed us a can of Cafe du Monde coffee from New Orleans!
Old 07-20-2020, 06:41 PM   #27

Souschef, so did I, however, they now print it on the bottle. I bought a small bottle of Kahlua, cost $18! That’s when I started making my own. 1.75 liter vanilla rum $14. Coffee and sugar less than a dollar. I have also used decaf instant coffee.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:55 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I think he was trying to save you money. In Saigon they'll sell you Vietnam-grown beans, the "proper" grinder, and a phan (traditional drip coffee maker, which it sounds like you were also buying), all for a hefty price! But that is a big city for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We once went into a Vietnamese grocery store to buy those little metals drippers for Vietnamese coffee. Then we asked what kind of coffee to use. The owner reached over an"d handed us a can of Cafe du Monde coffee from New Orleans!
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 11:08 AM   #29

Hi J.P. How are things on the other side of the bridge?
I often drink coffee over ice in the summer, especially as you say with a little milk or cream. Tides me over when I'm hungry and keeps me awake on hot humid afternoons.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote