Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-22-2020, 04:04 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I make a fresh glass each time by microwaving a tea bag in 8-9 oz. of water for 90 seconds, letting that sit until I am ready for a glass of tea, then I dump it over 10-12 oz. of ice in my tea glass. This method was inspired by watching flight attendants. (Do NOT request iced tea on a flight; most flight attendants hate having to stop and make it.)
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2020, 04:24 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My wife loves the iced tea I make for her:
2 tablespoons of Earl Grey loose tea
3 Regular black teabags
water in 1 Qt saucepan
Bring to a boil and let the teabags steep for about an hour
Strain into a 1 gallon pitcher
Add spring water to make a gallon
Add 2 tablespoons of Truvia and stir
You can vary the proportions to taste
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:03 PM   #23

I make 1/2 gallon plus 1-1/2 cups at a time. I take out a half gallon measuring cup, a half gallon glass pitcher, and an oversized coffee cup, put 10 green tea bags in the measuring cup, boil a full teapot of water plus about 1-1/2 quarts in a separate pot. Pour the water over the bags in the measuring cup until full, stir in two overflowing tablespoons of buckwheat honey (not a good choice for most people but it's the healthiest), pour about half of the tea into the pitcher, add more water to the measuring up and the pitcher to approximate 1/2 gallons plus 1-1/2 cups total, fill up the coffee cup, let cool, refrigerate, then a few hours later pour tea from the measuring cup into the pitcher. I drink the large cup hot and the rest cold. When I'm ready for the first cup of cold tea, I squeeze in a lemon (one lemon per half gallon).
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 04:01 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have a couple of Tupperware 1/2 gallon short pitchers. I put one in the microwave with two family size teabags and in 6 minutes I have tea.

We go through 1-2 pitchers most days in our household.

The problem is keeping enough lemons cut. I keep'em in baggies on the fridge door.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 04:25 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

I place some loose tea leaves (4-5 tsp per quart) in a pitcher, add cold filtered water, and brew in the fridge for 24 hours. If I want to sweeten it, I add fruit-flavored syrup in the glass before pouring the tea (my favorite is peach syrup).
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 05:54 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I like sweet iced tea and can drink it by the quart at a sitting, but I do not like the calories that come with it. To manage this, I make my own home brewed iced tea (usually decaffeinated), using erythritol instead of sugar. Erythritol, for my taste, is the only natural sweetener that tastes like sugar and does not leave an aftertaste. 1.7 liters of water (the max my electric kettle will hold), tea bags, and 3/4 cup of erythritol, and I am good to go.

I more enjoy the iced tea-lemonade combination (a.k.a. an "Arnold Palmer"). So far I am too lazy to get a juicer and squeeze lemons. I use the Realemon concentrate and their recipe for lemonade, (substituting erythritol with sugar) and mix it with my iced tea.

I will occasionally cheat and use store bought non-HFCS lemonade (like the Walmart Great Value brand) to mix with the ice tea. But even using this, I calculate the calories of my mix to be about 30 per 16 oz serving. This is way less than what you can find in the store, but still sweet enough for me.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:15 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
As a southerner, I would probably get in trouble for my method. I have a tea brewer that I put two family bags of Red Diamond tea in. Add a cup of sugar, brew, then add cold water. Mmm...good!

I used to do sun tea, but after hearing about the issues with bacteria/etc. I decided against doing that. I couldn't tell you if the bacteria issue is an actual issue or not, but I don't mind using the brewer.

I’m a southerner, too, albeit living in the north, and I read the same thing about sun tea doing its thing in the bacteria temperature zone. That’s why I’m a refrigerator tea enthusiast these days. 🤠
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:02 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Having moved south again, I have tea in the fridge at all times, though I’m an unsweet drinker (occasionally half-n-half sweet). I was using Luzianne cold brew, it’s OK. I switched to Celestial Seasonings recently, lots of flavors (I like variety), tastes good and more antioxidants. I just throw 6 teabags in 3 gal pitcher and let it steep overnight. I like all the Zinger flavors, like Raspberry Zinger. Good for now. I realize true southerners probably wouldn’t approve of herbal tea...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:04 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
I like sweet iced tea and can drink it by the quart at a sitting, but I do not like the calories that come with it. To manage this, I make my own home brewed iced tea (usually decaffeinated), using erythritol instead of sugar.
Thanks for the tip! I'll have to try erythritol. Seems a bit pricey from what I see on line, but worth a shot if it's as good as everyone says. I had been using the generic version of Splenda. Not bad, and the price is right, but not ideal, either.

I'd been doing cold brew tea in the fridge, in one of those gallon "sun tea" jars with spigot you can find in the seasonal aisle at Walmart this time of year. Celestial Tea has a raspberry flavor cold-brew that's become my favorite.

About growing bacteria, I learned that the hard way. I got the bright idea to bottle my tea in recycled single-serving iced tea bottles I'd bought in a 12-pack. Of course I ran them through the dishwasher to sterilize, first. I sealed the filled bottles and left them by the door to bring to the fridge on the boat next time I went that way. In the meantime, a nice colony of something developed in the bottom of each jar. Yuck! Next time I'll do a hot brew and seal the bottles while it's still steaming!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:30 AM   #30

What?? Nobody adds mint to their tea? Yall not from around here are ya'?
Old 07-24-2020, 08:06 AM   #31

I use a large Lipton tea bag, and a regular sized Bigelow Raspberry tea bag, and pour boiling water from our electric tea pot over it, and steep for 3-4 minutes. I cut it with water to store in a lidded pitcher we keep in the fridge, which lasts all week for us.

Some days I want a cold green tea, so I just steep it in a cup and let it chill until I'm ready for it. We use Stevia to sweeten all the above.

I prefer hot tea, but it's too d*mned hot right now to drink anything hot, so it's cold tea for us.

Good thread! Lots of ideas to consider.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:35 PM   #32

One thing I miss about w*rking for a company headquartered in the South is business trips to the home office. All the different varieties of sweet tea! Up north we're lucky to have a handful of choices, and then only in summer.

There was one brand of diet raspberry sweet tea I liked. That shelf on the beverage cooler in the company cafeteria would be empty by the time I left. I bet they wondered why every so often there would be a run on that one flavor.

Y'all are making me hungry for some real Southern cookin'! And I'm a Northern boy by birth.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:42 PM   #33

An electric ice tea maker that my daughters gave me and 3 of whatever tea bags my wife buys on sale. Makes something over a gallon. I swill it in the summer, so that lasts about a day, maybe less. I drink it "unsweet" although sometimes I'll mix it with Newman's Own lemonade for an Arnold Palmer.
Old 07-24-2020, 01:54 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Only brew one cup at a time and use Celestial Zinger flavors.
Brew very strong, 1-2 bags and add boiling water, steep for a good 10 minutes or longer. Add a spoonful of honey, add fresh mint if I have some, and pour over ice in a large insulated tumbler.
In the winter, I add my cold buster ingredients; 1 tablespoon of Braggs vinegar with the mother, and an airborne tablet, drink that either cold or hot.
Old 07-24-2020, 02:34 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Every once in a while I'll crush up some mint from the garden and toss it in my tea.
Old 07-24-2020, 03:00 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Yeah, I forgot. I used to add fresh chopped mint leaves sometimes when I shopped at the supermarket. One package of mint was good for about 1-1/2 gallons of tea so I had to make sure it was super fresh to last long enough.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 10:48 PM   #37

Love jasmine ice tea, make up half gal at a time, sometimes add passion fruit from the plant outside when it has fruit.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:14 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Having been raised in the South, I watched my aunts and grandmother make terrific sweet tea by boiling two family size tea bags in a quart of water in a saucepan on the stove, then adding a full cup of sugar. Let it sit to room temp then pour over a pitcher of ice. It was terrific!

However, I am now considerable older, weight challenged and avoiding sugar for my health. So, I now bring 4 cups of water, in a 4 cup glass measuring cup, to a boil in the microwave. Take it out, add two Oolong or 4 White tea bags and let sit to room temp. Sweeten to taste (for me that's 5 squirts) of liquid stevia. Then pour over ice in a 16oz glass. Put the rest of the tea in the frig for refills. Never a bitter taste, no calories.
Elizrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 04:19 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Microwave a quart of water and pour it over the tea bag that is filled with blueberry roobis tea. Put in fridge. Blueberry roobis stops me from snoring. Been doing it about 10 years now. Little expensive but wife buys it and she gets a good nights sleep.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:28 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I just use a Toddy. works for cold brew coffee and tea in the summer.

https://toddycafe.com/
moghopper is offline   Reply With Quote