Join Early Retirement Today

Iced Tea
Old 07-21-2020, 02:45 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Iced Tea

OK, Since we have an Iced Coffee thread, I thought I would start an Iced Tea thread.

What is your favorite method to make Iced Tea?
Mine:
I have a small collection of jam jars with handles and lids that I have saved over the years. I think these are 12 oz. or maybe 10 oz.
I put a teabag into a jar, fill with cold water, cap it, and put it the refrigerator for 8 –24 hours.
For green tea, I find I need to use 2 tea bags.
I have never had a bitter glass of tea making it this way, even those that accidentally got pushed to the back of the shelf and had been “brewing” for 3 days.
And, I guess this is not technically Iced tea, since I don’t use ice, I just drink it chilled.
gettingthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2020, 02:53 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Boil about 1.5 quarts of water in a stainless steel pot on the stove. Remove and let stand about 1 minute. Add ten green tea bags and agitate frequently for about 20-30 minutes. Let seep thereafter for up to about 8 hours. Pour into gallon container and fill the balance with water. Chill overnight in refrigerator.
CDRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 02:57 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I use a large sum tea hat the kind with a spigot for easy dispensing.

I "decaffeinate" my tea bags by soaking them in some boiling water for a few minutes. Most of the caffeine leaches out in the first minutes of brewing. I throw out that tea and place the "decaffeinated" tea bags in the water filled sun tea jar. I let it brew in patio sun. It does get pretty hot so I let the jar cool in the house before putting it in the refrigerator .
pjm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 03:00 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My method is similar to gettingthere, but I use pint canning jars. I put one tea bag in each jar, fill it with water from my Berkey filter and set it on my kitchen counter overnight or all day. Remove the teabag (no squeezing - it can cause bitterness) to my compost bin and chill the tea. That's it.

I have a set of 4 colored jars that I only use for tea. No mixing it up with other items.
KB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 03:12 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I boil the water in my old RevereWare kettle and use an infuser to hold my favorite loose tea leaves. I let it brew for about 10-15 minutes then let it cool down before adding it to the refrigerator.

I have a number of fun flavors that I use during the summer - lightly flavored and refreshing and I switch to different flavors for fall and winter. Currently my favorite is a nice blend of orange/citrus, but I also enjoy blackberry and many others.
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 03:44 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingthere View Post
I have a small collection of jam jars with handles and lids that I have saved over the years. I think these are 12 oz. or maybe 10 oz.
I put a teabag into a jar, fill with cold water, cap it, and put it the refrigerator for 8 –24 hours.
Love the single serving size method!

I usually use the same "tap water on bags" method but make a larger pitcher. The method may not be as important as the tea blend.

I use several bags of Red Rose brand tea and usually add one bag of earl grey (bergamot fan).
Old 07-21-2020, 04:14 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

At one time I made it using "Constant Comment" tea. (https://www.bigelowtea.com/Teas/Tea-...nt-Comment-Tea) These days my tea comes from plastic bottles marked "Pure Leaf Unsweetened Black Tea." Sloth and prosperity have triumphed over craftsmanship.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 04:28 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree the Pure Leaf tea is pretty good.
gettingthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 05:02 PM   #9

Inspired by this thread, I just put a quart jar with a couple Constant Comment tea bags out on my deck in the sun to brew. This will go in the refrigerator for tomorrow's iced tea.

My usual method is a pint canning jar filled with tap water and 1 tea bag, put in the microwave for 2,5 minutes, let it steep for awhile and then pour it over lots of ice in a big glass.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 05:06 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sun tea. Love it because it tastes 'soft' not bitter. I use 6 teabags in one quart of water, and leave it outside to brew in the sun for a few hours. Sometimes overnight even, on accident, but still good! We drink it straight, no added sugar or milk. It's lovely.
ElizabethT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 05:50 PM   #11

Tejava. In bottles.
Old 07-21-2020, 05:51 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

My lazy method for making Southern Sweet Tea.
In large glass pitcher, fill with filtered water, one scoop of sugar and two Lipton Cold Brew family size teabags. Put in the fridge while it brews for an hour or so.
Squeeze out the teabags and stir, ready to drink.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:30 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

We make 2-3 gallons of sun tea and a gallon of Jamaica a week. I get the gallon size tea bags at the business Costco. 4-6 hours in the sun for tea and 6-8 hours for Jamaica. The hard part is finding glass iced tea jars without the spout that eventually leaks. We cut the drinks 50/50 with water when serving. Friends and family always ask for it when visiting.
Arizona1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:48 PM   #14

I use 2 Lipton Regular, 2 Decaf, 2 Green tea bags in a half gallon water, boiled in microwave for 8 minutes. Let sit, add sugar to desired sweetness, I used to like !/4 cup sugar but have decreased the amount over the years. I drank it everyday for thirty five years.

After seeing a demonstration by a home water filter company, he challenged us to make a quart of sun tea over night for use the next day. The tannins in the tea make a lot of stuff precipitate out to bottom of jar, lost my appetite for sun tea anyways.
Old 07-21-2020, 09:22 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
Tejava. In bottles.
+1 Really tasty.
I used to make sun tea when I lived in AZ. Didn't take long.
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:38 AM   #16

Two bags of Earl Grey tea in a two quart plastic hour-glass shaped jug, using filtered tap water from the refrigerator spigot. left out in the sun for a few hours. I drink about a quart a day. It’s smooth and tastes like I’ve added lemon already. I’ve tried black, green, and Constant Comment. I’ve never had tea so smooth and delicious.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:46 AM   #17

It’s just so easy to make refrigerator tea: I put two Lipton Family size and two Earl Grey bags and water in a dedicated half gallon glass container with a lid. After 8 hours in the fridge, voila, awesome tea.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:53 AM   #18

Using a 2 quart plastic juice container, fill with filtered water (or tap if you like the taste). Add 6 Black Tea bags (Red Rose) plus 2 Earl Grey, or 2 Meyer Lemon tea bags. Steep on the counter for 2 hours, discard the tea.

If using Earl Grey, add lemon and sugar to taste. Only sugar is needed when using Meyer Lemon tea.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:26 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I buy the Lipton powdered iced tea mix (no sugar), decaf and regular. I add a tablespoon to a glass of water and stir. One jar costs about $3.50 and makes 30 quarts of tea.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:31 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

As a southerner, I would probably get in trouble for my method. I have a tea brewer that I put two family bags of Red Diamond tea in. Add a cup of sugar, brew, then add cold water. Mmm...good!

I used to do sun tea, but after hearing about the issues with bacteria/etc. I decided against doing that. I couldn't tell you if the bacteria issue is an actual issue or not, but I don't mind using the brewer.