Join Early Retirement Today

Idea for Guest Bed
Old 01-08-2015, 04:55 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Idea for Guest Bed

Here's my idea for a quick, twin-sized guest bed in our exercise room:

I'd permanently attach a nice-looking (e.g. hardwood) 2x4 to the wall. A sheet of plywood would live behind the door to the room (and thus take up no space). When we needed the bed, I'd put the legs on the plywood, attach it to the 2x4, and blow up an air mattress.

See any problems with that?

I'd like to make the platform narrower and shorter than the mattress, but then there's the potential that the mattress would slide off. IOW, perhaps I need a rim on the platform. What do you think?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2015, 04:59 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Here's my idea for a quick, twin-sized guest bed in our exercise room:

I'd permanently attach a nice-looking (e.g. hardwood) 2x4 to the wall. A sheet of plywood would live behind the door to the room (and thus take up no space). When we needed the bed, I'd put the legs on the plywood, attach it to the 2x4, and blow up an air mattress.

See any problems with that?

I'd like to make the platform narrower and shorter than the mattress, but then there's the potential that the mattress would slide off. IOW, perhaps I need a rim on the platform. What do you think?
Kind of like the beds we see in prison shows on TV.

Why not invest in an inflatable bed (instead of just an air mattress)?
Old 01-08-2015, 05:05 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Why not invest in an inflatable bed (instead of just an air mattress)?
During the Hurricane Katrina diaspora, at one point I was sleeping on a double high air bed that was amazingly comfortable. It was sort of like this one, IIRC:

http://www.amazon.com/SoundAsleep-Ma...3652516&sr=1-1

In fact, it was so comfortable that if/when I ever want to use my guest bedroom for anything at all, I plan to donate the queen sized bed in there and buy one of these for my guests, instead.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:20 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

May need to add some additional support under the plywood. Could be in for a bouncy night of sleep if the bottom isn't support well. I had a platform bed that used plywood for a base and as I recall it had a lot of support under the plywood. That being said my guest seem to be happy with just the air mattress on the floor.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:44 PM   #5

Spring for a top of the line sleep sofa with a tempurpedic mattress,
Old 01-08-2015, 05:45 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

+1 on more feet for support and these should be removable.

About air mattress sliding off, how 'bout velcro?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:22 PM   #7

I've slept on amazingly comfortable air mattresses. They inflate and deflate by plugging them in the wall. Very convenient.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:40 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

We sleep on an inflatable bed that has legs when we go to my sister's house. It inflates and deflates automatically and is quite comfortable. The legs telescope out and make it a perfect height, which is the real drawback to the mattresses on the floor.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:47 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
What do you think?
Observations:
1) A twin size mattress is 38" wide, interior doors are typically just 32" wide, so the stored platform will stick out a bit.
2) Plywood would need additional support--probably a 2x2 around the edge and another one down the middle. It might need another leg in addition to the wall support and the legs at the bottom.
3) People sit on the edges and foot of beds, so the edge of the platform will need to be rigid and able to support the full weight of a person in a concentrated spot. For the same reason, the platform needs to extend to the edge of the mattress.
4) You'll need a lip or pins to assure the platform doesn't slip off the cleat on the wall.
5) Putting the cleat on the wall means that is the only place the bed can go, and you can't put anything else heavy blocking it (i.e. a bookcase can't go there). It limits your options when the bed is there and when it isn't.

A lightweight folding metal/fabric cot with an air mattress atop it gives a lot of flexibility in where it is put (or can go with you when you drop in on the young 'uns. "We're here!") and can be set up quickly. Here's one--they make 'em a lot bigger, too.

Another thought--For a guest bed, don't get anything too comfortable.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:51 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
We sleep on an inflatable bed that has legs when we go to my sister's house. It inflates and deflates automatically and is quite comfortable. The legs telescope out and make it a perfect height, which is the real drawback to the mattresses on the floor.
The one I linked to above is 19" above the floor, and I think others are available at 20" too. These are perfect heights for me and good ones are very stable, very easy to get up from, and don't sink when you lie down on them. I think that as you point out, they are available at any height off the floor that is desired. I can't imagine wanting a platform for one of them.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:23 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

In our loft, we have a couple of sofa beds from Ikea that look like the following. They remain useful when not used as a bed, and are very easy to convert, unlike the old-fashioned heavy sofa beds.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:37 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think that plywood alone will be enough support. You may want to research the support structure on Murphy Bed plans that you can adapt to your design

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post

That's the same type I've slept on. In fact, we realized sleeping on it was so comfortable that we went and bought one of the sleep number bed type called Comfortaire afterwards.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:11 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Some ideas here.

Waterful Wonderbeds Custom Murphy Wall Beds and hand built furniture
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
During the Hurricane Katrina diaspora, at one point I was sleeping on a double high air bed that was amazingly comfortable. It was sort of like this one, IIRC:

Amazon.com : SoundAsleep Dream Series Air Mattress with ComfortCoil Technology & Internal High Capacity Pump : Camping Air Mattresses : Bedding & Bath

In fact, it was so comfortable that if/when I ever want to use my guest bedroom for anything at all, I plan to donate the queen sized bed in there and buy one of these for my guests, instead.
We have a similar Queen air mattress we purchased a couple of years ago when my sister stayed with us for a couple of weeks and she loved it. It's been used a few times since by guests and everyone loved it as well. It inflates and deflates in a couple of minutes by plugging into an electrical outlet.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:06 AM   #16

Take a look at this one, Al, a bed platform with a hinge along the long side that is attached wall in a study. The hinge is low to the ground. The top of the folded-up bed is maybe 48" above the floor and the stored platform sticks out about 10" from the wall. The designers really jazzed it up by enclosing the whole mechanism in cabinetry that extends to the ceiling as built-in shelving.

The Aalto
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:31 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

When we stay at DD's house we just use a double height Aero bed (inflatable) with a piece of 2" memory foam on top. Queen size for the two of us. Extremely comfortable, easy to store, not too expensive. The only (very small) downside is having to roll off onto the floor to get up. I could spring up from the bed a few years ago, but now would need something to hold on to, since it's not as high as a regular bed and frame.

Btw, +1 on Samclem's points about plywood support and mattress size.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:59 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I like that pictured wall bed
Old 01-09-2015, 09:27 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Interesting idea Al. I think I would make three supports (wall, middle and foot) rather than two and perhaps use 3/4" plywood. I would use door hinges on the joints and then take the pins out to disassemble. And I like the idea of velcro to keep the mattress from slipping off the platform.

I recall one poster mentioning that the width of a twin is wider than the width of a door. If this is a conflict you may be able to put a piano hinge in the middle of the platform.

I guess it all depends on how elegant a solution you want for that room. At DD's we typically just sleep on a full size blowup mattress on the floor.

I think a twin sized cot and twin sized air mattress or a twin size airbed might be an easier and more elegant solution.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:46 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Good ideas. I have to resist my urge to be clever when a normal-person solution is available. It's fun to do something interesting and different, but that cot that Sam suggested would fit the bill. And it would be one click of the mouse vs. a full day of carpentry.

Some of the standard solutions (e.g. futon), don't work well here, because this room isn't usually heated. In our extremely humid environment, that means that anything in that room may mold or rust.

I just freecycled Jenny's bed that had been in that room because it smelled moldy.

If I paint the plywood with mold-resistant paint, and store the air mattress elsewhere, I'm good to go.

But Sam has good points. I'll probably go with his suggestion.