Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-22-2019, 08:25 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We had lots of childrens books and school supplies. DW went to the local elementary school and asked if they wanted them. They absolutely did, especially the books.

Just last month I gave away an electric ceramic tile say and a hedge trimmer. Somehow got into the container. Glad to see them go to someone who needed them. It is amazing what we end up keeping for just in case. The basement in our new home was completely empty. Until our son decided to go to graduate school across the country. Now it is full of the contents of a one bedroom apt. It seems that the more things change, the more they stay the same. I doubt whether he will ever move back which means we will have to get rid of all that stuff. Again!
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2019, 10:22 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

I had to empty my parents house out. It is a lot of work trying to find 'homes' for everything and not pushing it into a dumpster.

Fortunately I was connected with a local organization run by churches that comes and picks up household stuff to help people who are 'starting over'. Maybe had a fire in their house, left their abusive spouse, or out of prison etc. They took a whole truck of stuff. Stereos, kitchen dishes and cookware, beds (yes beds!), TVs. Maybe check with a few churches to see if they know of something? Real Estate agencies might be another check.

I did have success posting a note on Craigs List with general directions. The note said what I had and that it was free. I just set it in the driveway and it all left.

BTW.. nowadays there are a lot of very local Buy/Sell type groups on Facebook. You could try posting there as well.

Good luck!
CountryGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:03 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Language may be a barrier. If you have french immigrants "libre" is a good term. German "frei". Italian is "gratuita". Spanish "basura" means trash, but is the same as free.
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 03:45 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

I live in the SF Bay Area. We recently got rid of our kids' furniture since they have moved out. I advertised on Nextdoor. Gave everything away and it was all gone within three days except one twin bed frame. We have decided to get rid of a few more pieces and have put those out on the curb with a free sign and the stuff is gone within an hour.
samcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 04:30 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
I tired the free sign at the curb for an old TV, 2 days later it was still there, I changed the to sign to $20, it was gone in an hour.
That's pretty funny. Especially the old tube-based TVs, a lot of people wouldn't take it if you gave *them* $20.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 04:48 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Put it out on the curb and have a sign "give away". It will b done in no time.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 04:59 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We are in the process of moving and had to purge almost everything. Facebook Marketplace is the new Craigslist.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 05:55 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

True story. We needed to get rid of our garage fridge. It was perfectly good except the ice maker didn’t work. We put it on the curb with a free note and also posted it in the Craigslist free section. Shortly thereafter, a tall skinny black man in a suit showed up by himself and started to disassemble it to get it into a van. We went out to help him and he told us it was getting added to the shipping container that he and other families in our area were filling to go to their families still in Ghana. He said they would not care that the ice maker did not work...... I can still hardly believe my garage fridge is somewhere in Ghana.
ImaCheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:40 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
DW is in the final stages of dealing with her mothers house. Closing is a couple weeks away. So I went to the house yesterday and they are in trouble. They thought they could sell the furniture and now realize that’s not possible. Also found out that what they thought was their fall back position won’t work either. The thought Habit for Humanity would take it - nope.

So, I come to you, my super informed cyber friends. How do you get rid of this stuff? I know I can take it to the landfill but any other options? There’s two bedroom sets and a dining room set. All on the modest side in terms of style and size. All in good shape. Old but gently used. Any ideas appreciated.
Many local facebook groups have sale and giveaway groups within them. There is also an app called LetGo. I will be facing the same situation soon with my father's house.
Vinnygret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:42 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the ideas on getting rid of furniture. After we lost our parents, two homes were liquidated. Then my 100 year old aunt's house had to be closed down. I ended up with 6 garages full of furniture--after swapping the good stuff to our house.

Then I kicked my daughter out of "her"/my house, and she dumped all her garbage in my basement. We just spent two days cleaning out that embarrassing rat hole, and she's going to be furious her "treasures" are gone. I have a huge pile of trash going to the city dump in the a.m. We've told her 100 times people don't live this way.

We're in the process of buying another house 65 miles away, and will be moving after 9/19/2019. I've got to do a little reconditioning on this house in order to put it on the market at top price. It's a little ridiculous that we're going from 5200 square feet to 4000 square feet in our ER, but we're used to so much room. The new house is perfect for our furnishings and it's so spacious with 19' ceilings, etc. Now if I can just get my wife to clean 4 1/2 bathrooms, down from 5 full baths.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 07:15 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

We had similar situation. We called Salvation Army and scheduled a "Whole House" pick up. We boxed everything we could and they came on a specific day and took EVERYTHING boxes, furniture, outside patio etc.. We did have to schedule ahead about 3 weeks..
Old 08-31-2019, 05:43 PM   #52
Dryer sheet wannabe

My parents in their 90’s lived in the house next door to me and I cared for them for 9 years. Had to retire early to care for them in their 90’s. Mom fell too many times and she went to assisted living in February. Dad stayed in the house...was lonely and passed away in June. I am only child and I pretty much gave things to charity that Is could take myself. Yes the big furniture was a problem. Even for $20. But I posted 3 items for free on garage sale website on Sunday night after 8pm and they were lined up at the door. I warned in the add they had to transport items themselves. Items were gone in an hour. I just needed them gone so I could put the house for sale. Closed on the house yesterday. So give it for free.
Ginger15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:50 PM   #53
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
I have put furniture on Craigslist marked as "FREE" and someone usually arrives in an hour or two with a truck and a dolly. They always take everything, no questions asked. I'm sure some of them are reselling the furniture, but I don't care. I want to keep it out of the landfill, and if someone who is willing to work hard enough to pick it up and cart it away can make a few bucks, good for them.
Yep that’s the way to s
Do it quickly with no hassle to you.
Ginger15 is offline   Reply With Quote