Join Early Retirement Today

Ideas wanted for a wood Compass Rose
Old 01-09-2021, 09:42 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ideas wanted for a wood Compass Rose

I planning on making a compass rose to be attached to the plywood floor. My thoughts are to cut out a simple compass pattern out of 1/8 inch panel and then glue pieces of wood to that pattern. If pieces stick over the sides I will then cut to pattern size. I would then bevel all side down so it wouldn't catch when walking over the rose.

I need ideas for the letters N,S etc. to attach a letter or some how make them? I really don't want to have it inlayed because of the plywood floor. I see some issues there so looking to screw this rose down to floor in a very thin wood profile so walking isn't an issue.

Any other ideas on how to do this project would be appreciated. Open to a better way.

Here is an attached pattern I made.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg compass star.jpg (50.7 KB, 132 views)
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2021, 10:06 AM   #2
Administrator

Have you considered a traditional colonial floorcloth? They can look quite nice in an application like yours and it's probably easier to make.

Thinking About Home: Making a Colonial Floorcloth
Old 01-09-2021, 10:19 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Are you determined to make this yourself? I know you can buy pre-fabricated medallions for wood floors, the one's I've seen look really nice, a lot better than anything I could ever build (see link below). They come in all different sizes but not cheap.
If it was me I would design and build it the thickness of the wood floor, then trace the pattern on the floor and cut out that section of the existing floor. I would think trying to place a thin wood pattern on top of an existing floor would be very susceptible to breaking/cracking along the edges.
https://www.czarfloors.com/wood-floor-medallions.asp
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:29 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Boy, I wouldn't start a project like that based on what SGOTI told me. Types of woods, types of adhesives, techniques, expansion and contraction with humidity, etc. are old news to people skilled in this kind of craft. Bad choices can result in many hours wasted.

I know this from personal experience years ago building a solid ash filing cabinet without understanding how ash moves with humidity. The cabinet was great in he summer, but in the winter it twisted itself to the point where one corner was 3" off the floor.

I would start here: https://www.rockler.com/shop?w=books and here: https://www.finewoodworking.com/ and here: https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/sear...erOfResults=24
Old 01-09-2021, 10:35 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I’ve done something similar, but it was 1/2”thick. I bought the letters from an online source. They are 1/2” thick Baltic birch. I got them primed white, but I think they can be purchased bare wood.

Sounds like 1/2” thick is too thick for your needs, but here’s a pic to get an idea. I’ll dig out the info on the company where I bought the letters and repost
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8624.JPG (339.6 KB, 22 views)
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 12:58 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

DW rented a space for her business that had an Amish hex sign painted on the floor.. something to think about. I was surprised as it was in a high traffic area but it never showed.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 06:57 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Just got back to this thread and some great ideas!! That is what I wanted some ideas for me to wonder and research what I want to do.

Really is some interesting links I do appreciate that very much.

Ron your work is very professional! That looks great!

I will keep have an update with how I will proceed. This project will be for a 10x16 line shack/cabin at the ranch. Very few people will ever see the compass rose except me, so I only have to please me. Lol
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 06:26 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No suggestions but like the idea. Guess this should be in the pet peeve section but I hate it when a map doesn't have a compass rose. How the heck do you know where north is?
Good luck with your project.