Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: If an intruder entered your home what would you do?
Shoot 63 40.13%
Wish I had a firearm so I could shoot 20 12.74%
Call police and hide (outside if you're feeling lucky...) 27 17.20%
Hand over my valuables and hope the intruder goes away 9 5.73%
Don't know 7 4.46%
While looking over barrel of S&W-Ask "Have You Given Much Thought To Early Retirement? - Well Have Ya Punk?" 18 11.46%
Try Out Moves Just Learned in &quotiscovering Karate" class 2 1.27%
Sneak Up On Him And Yell In His Ear 0 0%
Sneak Up On Him And Kiss Him On His Ear 0 0%
Ask Dog To Show Him Out 7 4.46%
Shake spouse awake and say "Greg, Greg, I hear something" 2 1.27%
Walk Up To Him And Say In A Wide-eyed Intimidatingly Scary Mysterious Foreign Accent - Heh, Want To Pull My Finger, Mister? 1 0.64%
Show Him Your Pumpkins 1 0.64%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2008, 08:24 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I may have said it earlier in this thread but i'm not gonna look.

In many instances armed homeowners empty out their gun at an intruder from a distance of ~6' without hitting them. Granted the police have a lot more practice and a lot more training. But its a lot harder to hit something with a pellet fired at high speed from a short barrel.

Having taught marksmanship to 8 year olds armed with .22's, I can attest that a good aim can be very challenging to attain.

GOD BLESS!!!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2008, 08:29 PM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What? I would only take shots if it was GWB!
Old 01-30-2008, 08:32 PM   #123
Give me a forum ...

You forgot the 'god bless' or the triple smiley face. Work with me here...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:53 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
You're gonna whip out your d*ck?

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:09 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

After further review, I've come to the conclusion that we were all way funnier last year.

Bull market?
Old 01-30-2008, 09:09 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Old 01-30-2008, 09:15 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

The big dog knocks him down and sits on him while the little dog farts in his face until he is incapacitated. And you thought bacon and beer was just for humans.

Of course if he thinks the Pats have a good football team - I might let him go.

Now we need a good UTube song to go with a rescued thread.

heh heh heh - Thoughts??
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:23 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
GOD BLESS!!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:38 PM   #129

Quote:
In many instances armed homeowners empty out their gun at an intruder from a distance of ~6' without hitting them.
Up until a few years before his passing, my Dad had a loaded sawed-off shotgun beside the bed, in case an intruder paid us a visit. With an 18" barrel all he'd need to do is point it in the general direction of the intruder....and squeeze off a shot. Darn near guaranteed not to miss at close range.

I wish I still had it, even though I'm a fairly good aim with my hog leg. But in the middle of the night a nice scatter gun could really work wonders. Maybe I could drop a few hints, and my bro. would give it to me for a ER present.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:13 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I'd like to change my vote to "cue the banjo music..."
OK. Here's one of my favorites, Steve Martin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 76emono2.jpg (11.1 KB, 77 views)
Old 01-30-2008, 11:14 PM   #131
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm all for defending my family and not sorry for any bad guy who gets shot while committing crime. A similar situation happened to my neighbor. They ended up in hand to hand combat with the guy. Turned out to be the daughter's boyfriend who sneaked in at her invitation. Tough talk is pretty cheap, but I hope you all are absolutely sure you don't shoot first and regret later.
quietman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:20 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

My Mom's voice scared the bejesus out of me one night when i opted to sleep at home after being with my Dad for a month or so - had finished a night time machining project and was going to grab some zzs at her house. Rattled around downstairs, then walked upstairs with the light off as no-one seemed to be waking up. As i got to the top of the stairs my Mom's voice sounded behind me - low and serious - "you stop right where you are". When i asked if i could turn on the light and did i turned around to see her with a little .32. Don't think she would have missed. Still raises the hair on my arms.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:23 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietman View Post
I'm all for defending my family and not sorry for any bad guy who gets shot while committing crime. A similar situation happened to my neighbor. They ended up in hand to hand combat with the guy. Turned out to be the daughter's boyfriend who sneaked in at her invitation. Tough talk is pretty cheap, but I hope you all are absolutely sure you don't shoot first and regret later.
I wonder what the ratio of accidental boyfriend shootings is to real bad guys getting blown up.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:55 PM   #134
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've had intruders twice, so I don't have to guess what I'd do, I know.
The first time was when I was a teenager, home alone. Just a few weeks before, our house had been burgled, so I was antsier than usual. I was in the front room, and I heard the back door knob jiggling. Both parents were at work, no one was expected home. I'd heard that most burglars don't want to encounter people, so in my best scary voice (probably not very scary, I'm female) I yelled, "Go away. There's nothing left for you here," and whatever else I could think. I heard footsteps coming towards me down the hall. I looked. It was my father, home unexpectedly. Good thing I didn't have a gun. He was not pleased at the names I'd called him, but he probably didn't know I knew those words.
The second time, I was in my 40's, alone at my cabin 12 miles from the nearest road, accessible only by walking on a moose trail. There isn't a lot of casual foot traffic, if you get my drift. It was around 11 pm on the 4th of July, so it was dusky dark but not full dark (it's pretty far north). I awoke to two male voices laughing and making grunting sounds, coming up the trail towards the cabin. Needless to say, I was freaked. I reached towards my shotgun (I carry it to scare bears). But then I had to decide if I could really kill another human just because I was scared. I didn't touch the gun, and remained still.
They didn't identify themselves, and walked clear around the place, not coming too close to the door, thank heavens. I hadn't unshuttered many of the windows because usually DH does that, they're heavy bear shutters, so it wasn't obvious that anyone was in the cabin, and I wasn't about to say anything. Finally they went back down the trail, but not far, and I could hear them laughing and rustling around. I didn't get much sleep.
Two days later when I walked down to the train flagstop, I saw where they had set up a camp (on my property!), but they were long gone. Down at the tracks was a couple I know, the man about to set off fireworks. He stopped when he saw me. My eyes were still probably bugging out. I told them what happened. It was his teenage son and a friend who had been looking for their cabin, missed the turnoff, and walked to ours. They were drunk. They gave me their son's phone number and permission to call him and tell him what a close call he had.
So far, both times I've thought someone was out to get me, I haven't touched a gun, and both times it was the right decision. Your mileage may vary.
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:39 AM   #135
Full time employment: Posting here.

Trigger happy bunch we have here,it sounds like some of you would enjoy killing an intruder,I wonder how many people have shot a family member by mistake because they were raiding the fridge at 2am or coming home late and creeping around the house so as not to wake up mom or dad.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:45 AM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
Anyone know where to get training to use a gun, in this case a shotgun?

I got it -- 12 gauge Mossberg -- and the practice shells and the 00 buckshot.

Just need me a few lessons someplace.... 8)

My cop acquaintances helped me decide what to get. One cop referred me to the NRA, but their closest training place is too far away (Long Island).

Buying it was prompted by being in a situation where I needed it.

kate

actually a shotgun is a terrible choice only because any long arm in close quarters is very easy to take out of someones hands if they grab the barrell before you shoot which is more likly the outcome with a homeowner . i can teach anyone in 10 minutes how to use leverage to disarm any long arm they can grab hold of. dont think these things arent picked up on in prison or the street. . at close range the pellets dont spread yet and still require the pin point aiming ability of a rifle. a handgun is the defense weapon of choice.,preferably .45 or .40 claliber of glasser or mag-safe ammo. how do i know all this? hmmmmm i saw it in a movie. actually 55 years of living in nyc requires alot of training to survive ha ha ha, actually i have had quite a few urban combat traing classes

bet you all didnt know if you shoot the bad guy and he sues you that your insurance wont cover you? yep shooting even a bad guy is an intentional act and not an accident and therefore isnt covered.
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:48 AM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Trigger happy bunch we have here,it sounds like some of you would enjoy killing an intruder,I wonder how many people have shot a family member by mistake because they were raiding the fridge at 2am or coming home late and creeping around the house so as not to wake up mom or dad.

hey if they can't take a joke they shouldnt come home so late
Old 01-31-2008, 03:04 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

ill add one more helpful hint , you know like good housekeeping magazine does. . consider a 20 ft circle as your safety zone . anything closer such as most home situations is a major problem for you. hitting a bad guy even dead center in the heart will let him survive long enough to cover 20 ft and stab you to death . unless your rounds were lucky enough to stay within the bad guy and dissapate that energy disrupting the nervous system odds are he will continue his attack, in fact someone on drugs may not even know they are hit unless a major organ is hit and even then it can take minutes for them to stop their attack. . now you know why law enforcement has to fire soooo many shots and why if you think you will stop someone by wounding them your so wrong. .......sooooooooo your point of aim should always be the pelvis area. its a big target for when your fine motor skills go bye bye as panic sets in and by shattering the pelvic bone you make it mechanically difficult to carry out a further attack.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:40 AM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Up until a few years before his passing, my Dad had a loaded sawed-off shotgun beside the bed, in case an intruder paid us a visit. With an 18" barrel all he'd need to do is point it in the general direction of the intruder....and squeeze off a shot. Darn near guaranteed not to miss at close range.

I wish I still had it, even though I'm a fairly good aim with my hog leg. But in the middle of the night a nice scatter gun could really work wonders. Maybe I could drop a few hints, and my bro. would give it to me for a ER present.

Goonie, your dad had the right idea. Security pros suggest an loaded PUMP shotgun with no shell chambered, until necessary.

That "CHICK - CHICK" sound of a round being racked is usually enough.

Been there, done that.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:46 AM   #140

To those who want to try out your new karate moves...

A fellow student was recently held up at knife point in Charlotte. The student beat the crap out of his assailant and added the knife to his collection. Keep practicing!