Join Early Retirement Today

If only the world was like hiking...
Old 04-23-2019, 09:04 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If only the world was like hiking...

Some of you may have seen my post a couple weeks ago about a road rage incident when someone in a truck decided my life was worth less than being one car length in front of me. It is so sad to see all the anger and impatience people have out there.

This weekend my wife and I went hiking to see the wildflowers and the contrast in peoples behavior was amazing. We had beautiful sunny days, fresh mountain air, and were surrounded by wildflowers. Fellow hikers were white, black, Asian, Russian, French, and more. There were young kids, teenagers, middle aged folks, and quite a few seniors. It didn't matter who you were or where you were from, everyone smiled, said hello, and politely stepped aside to make way for one another. Children were laughing, a group of ladies were giggling all the way down the trail, and parents were playing with their kids.

It gave me hope for humanity after all.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2019, 09:14 AM   #2

Agreed.

Driving = Stressor
Hiking = Destressor

I often try to give irate drivers the benefit of the doubt, maybe they have some serious personal issues, but when it's my life or there's type of attitude..I don't budge.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:39 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nice!
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:12 AM   #4

Well said mountainsoft! Something about nature and the wild that makes it easier to be nice and in the moment.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:12 AM   #5

Thoreau found the same thing

I remember your post indicating that you still felt aggrieved over the ill-mannered and dangerous antics of that crazy driver, even days later.

I hope your peaceful hikes have dispelled any lingering disquiet. Our local newspaper used to carry a comic strip called "Rose is Rose", wherein the protagonist (Rose) would take solace in the woods at her "Let it be tree". When daily frustrations would pile up she'd lean against her tree until they slipped away.

Intimate contact with nature isn't soothing only in the comics. It works in real life, too.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:15 AM   #6

As my namesake said,
‘Thousands of tired, nerve shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity.’
Old 04-23-2019, 02:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
I remember your post indicating that you still felt aggrieved over the ill-mannered and dangerous antics of that crazy driver, even days later. I hope your peaceful hikes have dispelled any lingering disquiet.
I'm STILL a little jumpy after that incident, but I'm sure it will fade with time. I've dealt with a lot of crazy drivers but that one scared me. I'm not sure why.

In any case, being out in nature really boosts my spirits and it was nice to see people happy and kind for a change.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 02:42 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Odd how everyone on a trail is a friend. I guess we do have something in common with them. We've met a couple people in the last two years that we have business relationships with, on the trails. Neither of them brought up business, only the beauty we were experiencing.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:48 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

There's something about being enclosed in a two ton piece of metal that gives many people a sense of anonymity, invincibility and entitlement. You have much less of that on a hiking trail.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:02 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
I often try to give irate drivers the benefit of the doubt, maybe they have some serious personal issues, but when it's my life or there's type of attitude..I don't budge.
Sorry for your incident OP.

Nowhere near road rage status, but I used to be a competitive driver. Now I always drive defensively, and just stay away from other cars and assume the worst - you never know who’s in other vehicles, how distracted or under the influence. Life’s too short, the crazies can have their way...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallman4123 View Post
There's something about being enclosed in a two ton piece of metal that gives many people a sense of anonymity, invincibility and entitlement. You have much less of that on a hiking trail.

No metal enclosure, but the same holds true for the Internet. I belong to several online Facebook hiking related groups. The discussions on there often devolve into negativity, insults, and meanness. Most of these folks are long distance hikers, but when posting on Facebook they are couch hikers. Meet these same folks on the trail and they’re usually great.

You’re not the same person when couch hiking versus really on the trail. If I’m being honest, although hopefully to a lesser degree, I know the same holds true for me.

‘Going to the mountains is going home’.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:19 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Depends on where you're hiking. THe first mile or two...you can encounter rude people. After mile two...that usually weeds out those sort of folks.

I never did a back country hike/camping...but I did do a 18 miler day hike when we hiked half dome...so 9 one way. It was really pleasant! I will say though...on the way back as we got closer to civilization, there were tons of tourists around the waterfalls you pass on the way down. The last 2 miles...I was ready to be done. Bumping into tourists wearing flip flops on steep slippery steps...no thanks.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 05:59 PM   #13
gone traveling

Liked to hike in the Northeast in my younger days during the four seasons. I don't hike living in hot and steamy Florida and surrounded with the local FL wildlife.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:35 PM   #14
Administrator

It has been a few years, but I used to regularly go climbing up in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, staying in the AMC huts overnight. I was struck every time by how nice everyone was up there. It had a very egalitarian, non-pretentious feel. No one knew or cared how important your job was, how big your house was or how fancy your car was. It was just a bunch of people enjoying the outdoors together, all of whom had done the same hard work of getting themselves and their pack up the mountain to be there. We talked about other places we had been climbing or wanted to go climbing, traded stories about funny or interesting things that had occurred on the trail, sang songs, played cards and just enjoyed the camaraderie of the hut. It was a great way to connect with the best of human nature.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:40 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I’m taking 2 of the adult kids on a 118 mile hike called TMB in Switzerland this July.

Funny story this weekend. I went on a 14 mile hike in arguably the only state park near the Twin Cities that has any elevation this weekend. Little did I know that Saturday was also the “Flood run”, which is a Harley ride in the same area. The 14 mile hike was almost 4 hours of Harley noise. I took it with stride, as I understood the irony. There were many others on the trail that were none too happy.
Kelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:01 PM   #16

Tour Mont Blanc. I’ve looked at this before. Seems like a wonderful hike. I do hope you’ll report back afterwards
Old 04-23-2019, 10:10 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Well said, mountainsoft! We have similar experiences to yours while hiking. Great to be out in nature, and we find that the fellow hikers are quite friendly.

Just finished 40 hikes in Arizona over the winter. Great times. Slideshow of our past winter's hikes: https://youtu.be/f89cjzKbR_I
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:35 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

DH and I belong to a hiking group of about 20. 5 are over 80, majority are in their 70s with a few 60s and 50s. We hike every week. It is very nice being out in nature, exercise and socialize. The people we run into (usually not too many since we hike on weekdays) are all very nice and friendly.
GoodWishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:25 AM   #19

I just think that people who want to go hiking are somehow different from those who don't. Here is a spot that is about 4 miles from the road that runs through the back country of Yosemite NP.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1971FB.jpg (1.04 MB, 38 views)
Old 04-24-2019, 05:16 AM   #20
gone traveling

After a --L O N G-- Winter here in northern Ohio, I really enjoy getting out in the sun, and doing chores. Yesterday, I was in my back field cutting up some fallen trees, and stopped for a break. I just sat down on the FEL bucket of my tractor and listened to the birds chatter for at least 10 minutes while sipping a cold water....it gives peace to my soul !

Last year, while camping at "old Man's Cave in Southern Ohio, we hit all of the day hikes in the area, and was amazed at how few people were on the trails (not trails for children). I think too many folks don't want to leave their comfort zones, and would rather chill with NETFLIX.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote