Join Early Retirement Today

If you guys like sci-fi stuff at all....
Old 01-11-2006, 07:30 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

If you guys like sci-fi stuff at all....

Check out the movie Serenity or the TV Series Firefly on DVD.

It is awesome and you don't have to be a geek to enjoy it.

Probably the wrong forum for this, but what the hell, only good movie I've seen in the last few years.
TomSimpsonAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: If you guys like sci-fi stuff at all....
Old 01-11-2006, 08:09 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well I see many movies and saw Serenity on DVD. I was not familiar with the TV show Firefly.

My take on the movie was that it was a cheesy TV show put out as a movie. If you aren't familiar with the TV show then the movie is kind of hard to follow.

- pick something else it just wasn't that good.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 08:33 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
Well I see many movies and saw Serenity on DVD. I was not familiar with the TV show Firefly.

My take on the movie was that it was a cheesy TV show put out as a movie. If you aren't familiar with the TV show then the movie is kind of hard to follow.

- pick something else it just wasn't that good.

What was the last sci-fi movie you saw that was any good? I mean honestly, any of the new star wars movies are just terrible.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:40 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Star Trek IV...

Not particularly good sci-fi, except maybe to us old Trekkers, but humorous in that the cast didn't take themselves so seriously.

"Just one damn minute, Captain"

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 08:46 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Funds, Will Retire
Star Trek IV...

Not particularly good sci-fi, except maybe to us old Trekkers, but humorous in that the cast didn't take themselves so seriously.
"OK, everybody remember where we parked!"

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 08:51 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Never seen firefly, but battlestar galactica is awesome.
Marshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 08:59 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Opps... correction before I even post... it is Farscape that I think is bad....

I liked most of the various Star Trek series... liked Stargate at the beginning...

BUT, the best was Babylon 5!!!

Here is a list of 'the best'.... I do not agree, but at least you can see a list.

http://www.wanderlist.com/lists/list...stid=1202#vote

Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 09:04 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

If you like star trek or battlestar gallactica, you'll love Firefly and Serenity.....I mean absolutely love it.

Go download it or something, you'll like it so much you'll buy it just to support it so another one gets made.

For those who don't know, fox aired firefly at 8pm on friday nights and only played 11 of the 14 episodes, in the wrong damn order.....somehow enough people saw it and just through word of mouth the dvd sales were huge. It had enough of a following after a couple of years for them to make a movie and now the fanbase is getting ridiculously large.

I had never seen Firefly, but saw serenity in theaters thinking it was going to be another horrible sci-fi movie.....after seeing the movie and being impressed, I found out about the series and immediately bought it, it is awesome. I have a strong geeky side, but my fiance is a total preppy snob and even she likes it lol.

Old 01-11-2006, 09:29 AM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

The Firefly episodes were shown, in order, and are still being shown on the Scifi channel. Love the Firefly series, great acting, good plots. Firefly was an excellent scifi series that was cancelled way to soon. Looking forward to seeing Serintiy on DVD. Also does anyone remember "Space Above and Beyond." Another good scifi series cancelled too soon.
twincity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 09:33 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, you have to see the firefly series before you watch serenity. Serenity was an attempt to reignite the firefly fan base and get the series back on the air.

Firefly, for those who didnt see it, was a cult sci-fi/western composite. Basically the 'evil empire' controls the galaxy and after a brief insurgency attempt some of the insurgents do 'jobs' with their crappy little space ship out at the edge of the universe where the evil empires grasp is limited. Due to the distance from the home worlds, the technology is limited, mostly people with a few horses to plow the land, regular guns, etc. Most of the on-world action looks like a western; off world stuff looks like sci fi.

The problem with the series is that the network decided that the 2 hour pilot, where all the characters were introduced and what the heck was going on was deemed "not exciting enough", so they started running the series with a later episode and didnt run the pilot until mid season, after they had already decided to cancel the series. The series experienced an uplift when sci-fi channel reran the whole thing in the correct order but without a big broadcast audience, it didnt...umm...fly.

Really disappointing considering that it was at least a little innovative and how many really, really bad rubber stamp shows persist into their 4th, 5th and 6th seasons...

No more though; the shows creator has thrown in the towel and given up.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 10:13 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
Yeah, you have to see the firefly series before you watch serenity.* Serenity was an attempt to reignite the firefly fan base and get the series back on the air.

Firefly, for those who didnt see it, was a cult sci-fi/western composite.* Basically the 'evil empire' controls the galaxy and after a brief insurgency attempt some of the insurgents do 'jobs' with their crappy little space ship out at the edge of the universe where the evil empires grasp is limited.* Due to the distance from the home worlds, the technology is limited, mostly people with a few horses to plow the land, regular guns, etc.* Most of the on-world action looks like a western; off world stuff looks like sci fi.

The problem with the series is that the network decided that the 2 hour pilot, where all the characters were introduced and what the heck was going on was deemed "not exciting enough", so they started running the series with a later episode and didnt run the pilot until mid season, after they had already decided to cancel the series.* The series experienced an uplift when sci-fi channel reran the whole thing in the correct order but without a big broadcast audience, it didnt...umm...fly.

Really disappointing considering that it was at least a little innovative and how many really, really bad rubber stamp shows persist into their 4th, 5th and 6th seasons...

No more though; the shows creator has thrown in the towel and given up.

He hasn't given up, there is only one article about that anywhere and it was a complete misquote from entertainment weekly that was taken out of context. Joss Whedon had to post a correction for it on his website.

I was all bummed out for a second when I thought it was true, hope I just made your day
Old 01-11-2006, 10:25 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I'd sure like to see more, but what sounded like 'done' to me was when he said (wildly paraphrased and my interpretation, which is always subject to serious question): 'I liked doing the show and i'll do more if someone says 'lets go' and comes up with the money, in the meanwhile I have these other projects to work on'. Given that Fox killed the show, Sci-Fi reran it but didnt pick it up, and Serenity either lost a million or barely broke even (depending on who you talk to), I cant imagine who would fund it. I havent heard anything about the dvd sales (and good dvd sales did bring back Family Guy and might bring back Futurama), but given that the goofy entertainment weekly article broke the same day as the dvd went on sale...either that was good negative publicity or stunted some sales...

I sure would like to see it come back. Would make me feel a lot better about Andromeda getting into its, what, 5th season?

Worst. Show. Ever.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:31 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

The DVD sales have been extremely strong for Serenity and almost everyone who purchases Serenity has purchased Firefly in the past or purchased it now. Serenity and Firefly have both been in the top 5 on Amazon's top sellers list since the movie came out. Considering Firefly went on sale in 2002, thats quite an achievement.

Also, Joss didn't write all the episodes, there were a couple of other writers, so they would be able to help out in writing another movie or series because Joss is busy doing a couple of big budget movies.

How do I know all this stuff? I read the fan forums......This damn show/movie has turned me into a geek.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Funds, Will Retire
Star Trek IV...

"Just one damn minute, Captain"
Elevator voice: Level, please.
Scotty: Transporter room.
Elevator voice: Thank you.
Scotty: [under breath] Up your shaft.

[Kirk and party commandeer a Klingon ship]
Kirk: You. Help us or die.
Maltz: I do not deserve to live.
Kirk: Fine, I'll kill you later.
[later, once safely in Warp Speed]
Kirk: Take care of the prisoner.
Maltz: Wait! You said you would kill me.
Kirk: I lied.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 10:46 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Denny Crane: "Did you just say 'klingon'?"
Old 01-11-2006, 11:25 AM   #16
Dryer sheet aficionado

I liked the Firefly series also. Any chance HBO will pick it up? That seems like where it belongs.

Bear
BearlyWorking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 11:26 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

i sure hope they do....
Old 01-11-2006, 01:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Denny Crane: "Did you just say 'klingon'?"
I heard that TJ Hooker is now on DVD. A must have for your dvd collection.

My favorite is stargate before Grandpa MacGuyver left. I did rent Serenity, but havent watched it yet.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:31 PM   #19

I might check out Firefly and Serenity. I used to be an avid Star Trek: Next Generation viewer back in the day.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 01:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle
I heard that TJ Hooker is now on DVD. A must have for your dvd collection.

My favorite is stargate before Grandpa MacGuyver left. I did rent Serenity, but havent watched it yet.
Stargate had quite a few good episodes, as well as a few stinkers, before Richard Dean Anderson left. Stargate Atlantis recycles so many sci-fi cliches it's not even funny.

Personally, I didn't like the Firefly series. The Star Trek: Enterprise series had a great deal going for it at first, in that it could have acted as a predictor of the not-too-distant future of space travel (i.e., an extended recruiting film for future aerospace engineers and astronauts). Unfortunately, the writers simply recycled every sci-fi cliche as well (i.e. time travel, alien conspiracy, etc...), thereby allowing the series to die a slow death.

Overall, sci-fi writers need to take a page from novelists whose works have stood the test of time. It's the plot and strong character development -- not just CGI -- that makes for a good story.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote