Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-08-2018, 10:49 AM   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Not to change the direction of this thread, but yesterday I met an old neighbor who still lives in the old neighborhood and we spent a few minutes taking about what's going on. He said that the old house (his), built in the early 1980's here in The Woodlands, is having plumbing issues. His house (probably like our old one) has galvanized plumbing and leaks were starting to appear in the ceilings. Now $25,000 later, it's all Pex plumbing and the house has a new coat of paint inside.

Oh, another thing he mentioned is his power panel had to be replaced as it shorted when the main breaker melted from the aluminum cable that fed it on the incoming side became heavily corroded from age. He said his house could have burned down if they weren't there when the panel about blew off the back of the house.

Just be aware of what you are buying if you go with older homes in nice neighborhoods. Some very expensive problems can happen later in the life of the home. Get a really good inspection done and look for issues beyond the obvious.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2018, 11:42 AM   #82
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Not to change the direction of this thread, but yesterday I met an old neighbor who still lives in the old neighborhood and we spent a few minutes taking about what's going on. He said that the old house (his), built in the early 1980's here in The Woodlands, is having plumbing issues. His house (probably like our old one) has galvanized plumbing and leaks were starting to appear in the ceilings. Now $25,000 later, it's all Pex plumbing and the house has a new coat of paint inside.

Oh, another thing he mentioned is his power panel had to be replaced as it shorted when the main breaker melted from the aluminum cable that fed it on the incoming side became heavily corroded from age. He said his house could have burned down if they weren't there when the panel about blew off the back of the house.

Just be aware of what you are buying if you go with older homes in nice neighborhoods. Some very expensive problems can happen later in the life of the home. Get a really good inspection done and look for issues beyond the obvious.
It's hard for me to think of a 30 year old house as old. Ours was built in 1857. It is certainly a money sink - in fact, we are dropping 25 grand this week to have the exterior painted and the hardwood floors refinished- but is a perfect neighborhood, downtown within easy walking distance of many restaurants and shops, the train station, the library, the hospital and my church, and, very important to us, on the water. So I guess we made our choice - definitely neighborhood.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:34 PM   #83
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

Once the tract home contractors figured out what cheap was, a 30 year old home can easily get old fast.

In the 1980s there were a lot of sub-par tract homes being quickly built. The builder can make all the difference. My old 1960s home was custom built by a locally respected architect/builder.

As Cobra9777 mentioned, the stability of the neighborhood is also important. Some of the homeowners in my 1960s neighborhood are original owners who have lived here 50 years. Others have passed their homes to their heirs and their adult children are now the homeowners. I admired this specific neighborhood for decades before I was able to move into it.

Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:02 PM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but we're not giving who the actual neighbors are much if any weight in our decision. Only neighborhoods (roads, landscaping, proximity to amenities) vs homes (layout, finishes, potential of neighborhood).
Oh, okay, I misunderstood the question.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:12 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post

My house is roomy and I love my attached two car garage. But I moved here because this older quiet neighborhood looks like a park with lots of trees and NO HOA! It is an oasis in the middle of an urban area where everything else I need is within a five mile radius.
"5-miles to everything I need" is why I remain in my townhouse.

Plenty big (~2500 sqft.) now that the last of the kids are heading off to college.

No maintenance surprises...everything outside is handled by the monthly HOA fee, including the roof.

My dream home was the large (~6000 sqft.) old (WWI-era) home where I grew up as a kid

But for my parents it was an expensive maintenance nightmare (plaster/lath, galvanized plumbing, inadequate electric service, slate roof)
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:16 PM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Perfect yard meant no grass. Neighborhood was much nicer 25 years ago. That was our choice 25 years ago. House was about 25 years old at the time.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:22 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
"5-miles to everything I need" is why I remain in my urban townhouse.
Lol. Perspective really is everything... in our case, after living within a mile to restaurants and great grocery stores, 5 miles seems like a huge trek!
tb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:30 PM   #88
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post

"5-miles to everything I need" is why I remain in my townhouse.

Plenty big (~2500 sqft.) now that the last of the kids are heading off to college.

No maintenance surprises...everything outside is handled by the monthly HOA fee, including the roof.

My dream home was the large (~6000 sqft.) old (WWI-era) home where I grew up as a kid

But for my parents it was an expensive maintenance nightmare (plaster/lath, galvanized plumbing, inadequate electric service, slate roof)

If you don't mind my asking. How much HOA do you pay a month ?

I recently had a new roof put on my 2200 sq ft ranch [lots of roof]
but Allstate paid everything except my deductible [hail damage.]

Old 07-08-2018, 01:38 PM   #89

Early in my career, neighborhood > house, but it changed as my finances improved and I was able to afford the modern home I always pined for.

When I was still in student debt and had only a measly medical resident stipend, I bought a tiny starter home in a really attractive neighborhood. It was all I could afford, and there were no regrets.

New job, much better income: Bought a nice but older home on larger property with a great spacious yard and great views in a nice neighborhood with wildlife. Kitchen was small, but all the large windows with expansive views was a consolation.

New job, established savings and peak earning years: Still could not find that perfect home in the perfect neighborhood, so I picked what was most important to me. Found that beautiful modern home with the gourmet kitchen and decorator flourishes throughout. But the neighbors are painfully close, pleasant as they are, and the HOA rules won't allow me to park my Airstream travel trailer on the property or street for longer than 48 hours. All the amenities I want are very close and the neighborhood is otherwise very nice. So even with good financial circumstances, there are still compromises. I would find lack of a garage to be a deal-breaker, however.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:37 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb001 View Post
Lol. Perspective really is everything... in our case, after living within a mile to restaurants and great grocery stores, 5 miles seems like a huge trek!
Sorry, should have said suburban.

To get within a mile like in your situation, I'd have to move downtown.

But you really don't want to live downtown here...without private security.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:36 PM   #91
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb001 View Post

Not in Texas

There is an Aldi and Walmart neighborhood market less than a mile from me. But because there are numerous different supermarkets competing within a 5 miles radius, food is cheaper here than other places.

Also there is plenty of other shopping including a huge mall, more restaurants than I can count and state, county and city offices... all within 5 miles.

Unless I need the airport, everything I need is here within 5 miles.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:32 PM   #92

According to the hedonic treadmill theory (and i believe it)- your perfect house is sooner or later just going to be just your house. Your neighborhood is a continuing source of annoyance or pleasure. i'd go with the neighborhood.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:43 PM   #93
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
According to the hedonic treadmill theory (and i believe it)- your perfect house is sooner or later just going to be just your house. Your neighborhood is a continuing source of annoyance or pleasure. i'd go with the neighborhood.
That's probably true, but I have lived in my house (a.k.a. my Dream Home) for three years and 7 days by now. I still marvel at how wonderful it is to live in this house. Eventually I probably won't feel that way, but so far, so good...

I do agree that neighborhood is more important, though. Location, location, location. Being right next door to one another, Frank and I had a gateway installed in the fence between our back yards. We love how easy it is to go back and forth. And, I love living in a slightly safer and much more convenient neighborhood too.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:04 PM   #94
Full time employment: Posting here.

Neighborhood! We liked the neighborhood when we needed more space 25 years ago, and ended up about 1/2 mile away in the same subdivision. The neighborhood has changed, some good, some not so good, but I still like it. Stable, good people convenient. The house has had a new kitchen, a new roof, added a deck, new landscaping (a DIY job) and the inside (which was too small with 3 teenage boys) is just right for DW and I (and the rebound son for a while).
Taxman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:18 PM   #95

Actually the need to expand garages as cars got longer (long before the SUV) dates back at least to the 1950s when my Grandfather went for the Imperial. He had to build a 2 foot extension in back to get the car in the Garage. This was a 1920s vintage garage, and cars were much shorter back then.

Also I bought a tract house in Houston in 1978 and while I never tried I don't think you could get an extended cab pickup in the garage (except by possibly using up space infront of the washer dryer.)
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:38 PM   #96
Recycles dryer sheets

You really are not going to know the neighborhood until you move in. We bought a small home in a retirement community last year, plans are see how we like it and possibly upgrade to a larger home in a few years when we start our IRA withdrawals.

A disabled man lives next door, he's nice but it seems we've become his handyman. I don't even go outside if I see he's outdoors. I'm ready to upgrade now and don't want to meet the new neighbors.
calico1597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:58 PM   #97
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree with the distinction between “neighborhood” and location. Our location provides us with convenience, easy access to retail of various types, hospital nearby, and commuter rail to major metro area within walking distance. We also have next door neighbors who don’t necessarily share our views on what minimal house upkeep is. But neighbors change, while the train station isn’t likely to move, nor the hospital or the supermarket. Our house suits our needs.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:16 PM   #98
Recycles dryer sheets

I want to stay in my 1908 house. I will always have work to either do or hire out. I guess I will have to move to an in-town condo if the work becomes too much. I just sold my lake house, so I guess I couldn't see myself living there full-time. As far as a newer house in the burbs, no way. I like access to public trans, walking to the grocery store, library, movie theater, etc. I'm not a fan of the open concept. I do have garages and off-street parking.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:52 PM   #99

Neighborhood, within reason.

This is an extreme example, but I watch HGTV, and once in a while I'll see someone who wants an apartment on a certain street in Paris. They'll leap at a 400 sq ft. six floor walk-up with no windows. No, I don't like cramped spaces, and wouldn't go that far to live next door to the Queen of England.

So, it's a bit of a sliding scale. I would get an older house in a nice neighborhood, if it had enough space, the lot was good, nice views, and I was able to fix up the house to be safe and comfortable.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:05 AM   #100
Recycles dryer sheets

We just went through this, retiring and relocating to my DW's home town. DW limited our search to two high school areas for our youngest, who starts high school in the fall. Limited our options. We ended up with a great house, nothing like we would have pictured with a very pretty, but fairly unusable yard (we are on a steep incline with deep woods out the back of our house). Great neighborhood and we really like the house. One of the pluses of the yard is I gave away my mower, just not needed.
rwdflynavy is online now   Reply With Quote