Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-14-2018, 01:06 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I notice the cost of DIY seems to have skyrocketed in the last couple of years. Has anyone else noticed that?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2018, 03:49 PM   #122
Give me a forum ...

duplicate
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 03:50 PM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Yes. Our first home $25'd us to death. The second $50 'd us to death. The third $100'd us to death. The last one we completely renovated for top to bottom, then got transferred a few months later.

No renos required in the new lock and leave pile. But I have been in to Home Depot. Prices are up substantially. So is labor.

I suspect that we are in for another round of price increases and inflation. The recent economic numbers are pointing to this. Not good.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:07 PM   #124
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I notice the cost of DIY seems to have skyrocketed in the last couple of years. Has anyone else noticed that?
Nope! The reason is that I don't DIY. I have a terrific handyman, who knows terrific tradesmen of all types (plumbers, carpenters, electricians, roofers, you name it). So if something needs to be done, I call him and he coordinates everything. He is a nice person and gets me decent prices, and what I like best is that he always does everything perfectly. A couple of times I have thought the prices were high, until I looked into it; he really doesn't overcharge me for anything.

Also, I love my home just as it is, so I have no intentions of doing further renovations any time soon. I haven't needed his help for a year and a half.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:16 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

The only reason DIY is costing me more these days is I buy better materials.

Like that security screen door. I could have bought one for $250 but I got the $800 model instead because it looks nicer.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:25 PM   #126
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A great neighborhood does not guarantee a great neighbor! As I tried to say, but not sure I did, was a new neighborhood, will grow into a great neighborhood, but a so so house will seldom grow into a great house! (excluding a great sum of money)
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:55 PM   #127
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
OP wasn't talking about a crappy neighborhood. Just a neighborhood that did not meet their desires like the other one did. I have a guess of which two areas the OP is referring to since I know the area I assume they are still looking at, and I think the less optimal one for them might be pretty ideal for growing families and people who work in the big technology park or want quick access to the airport.
Yeah, I'm speaking in financial generalities.

I once worked as a design architect for a guy who bought a fixer in a bad neighborhood. He put a lot of $$ into that home, thinking he would recoup that investment. He didn't, and he was quite bitter about it, constantly complaining about how the neighbors weren't taking as good of care of their property as he was his. Likewise, I had a friend buy a crappy home in a great neighborhood, and sell it a few years later for much more than she ever put into it.

again generalities from my experience. YMMV
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:23 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
YI had a friend buy a crappy home in a great neighborhood, and sell it a few years later for much more than she ever put into it.
As a realtor once said to me, "Buy the cheapest home in an expensive neighborhood".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:40 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Absolutely. I do a fair amount of handyman work around my various houses, and the price of materials has definitely increased. Plywood, screws, glue, whatever. Duct tape has really gone up, and you can't survive without it. However, the price of tools has either gone down or the quality has increased for the same price. I really noticed a huge increase back in 2006 after Katrina, which was to be expected. But it never came back down, and now with the impending trade wars I expect it to get even worse. The only positive is that DIY is still cheaper by far than paying somebody else.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:46 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Nope! The reason is that I don't DIY. I have a terrific handyman, who knows terrific tradesmen of all types (plumbers, carpenters, electricians, roofers, you name it). So if something needs to be done, I call him and he coordinates everything. He is a nice person and gets me decent prices, and what I like best is that he always does everything perfectly. A couple of times I have thought the prices were high, until I looked into it; he really doesn't overcharge me for anything...
Yes and a good handyman knows sources for the materials too. Around here, getting any kind of handyman is like pulling teeth.

I went to buy some duct tape and all they were offering was gorilla tape at twice the price. It is better but not twice as good.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:30 PM   #131
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yes and a good handyman knows sources for the materials too. Around here, getting any kind of handyman is like pulling teeth.

I went to buy some duct tape and all they were offering was gorilla tape at twice the price. It is better but not twice as good.
Wow!! That's awful. I don't use much duct tape but the last roll I bought (in 2015) cost $3 on Amazon. It's probably more now. I have no idea what a good price for duct tape would be, or what brand is good; this was "Duck" brand.

The best part about my handyman, is that his family and Frank's family go way back, for many, many years. He has been a handyman for all of his life and does great work. But like us, he is getting older so we may eventually need to look for someone else.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:56 PM   #132
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Wow!! That's awful. I don't use much duct tape but the last roll I bought (in 2015) cost $3 on Amazon. It's probably more now. I have no idea what a good price for duct tape would be, or what brand is good; this was "Duck" brand.

The best part about my handyman, is that his family and Frank's family go way back, for many, many years. He has been a handyman for all of his life and does great work. But like us, he is getting older so we may eventually need to look for someone else.

Amazon does not really carry real duct tape it is 3rd party for $16, it exists on Homedepot from $4 up (actually 3.99) Note Home Depot sells 15 yard gorilla tape for 4.97. So on some things Amazon (in particularly if not sold directly from amazon) may well be more expensive.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:00 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

I am thankful that I'll never have to worry a couple of bucks for the duct tape inflation.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:51 PM   #134
Full time employment: Posting here.

We looked for over a year in rural Vermont, with price and location restraints that made it hard. DH is a carpenter and absolutely refused to buy a fixer-upper, which is 90% of the available housing stock. Go figure! (I do get it. Can’t spend all day doing heavy work and come home to start again.)

We looked until we found both the right neighborhood and the right house. This is, we hope, our forever home. First floor bedroom and bath, room upstairs for my daughter, her DH, and darling newborn granddaughter, as well as an office. A small house. Super energy efficient (it is Vermont!), 10 acres, extremely quiet yet only 2/10 mile from the paved road. Close (25-45 minutes) to our ski areas. Completely rebuilt in 2005, everything new.

Of course, DH is busy knocking down a wall to combine two tiny bedrooms into a master, building a new closet, and wrapping up plans for the garage and the barn! The one-car garage simply will not do for the shop, the antique tractor, antique Power Wagon, the winter van, the summer van, and my little SUV. But it’s not a fixer!
trumpeting_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:49 AM   #135
Give me a forum ...

We took four years to find the right home in the right neighborhood. It was very much to our advantage to take our time. Prices were going down, investments going up.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:40 PM   #136
Dryer sheet wannabe

Perfect land and neighborhood for sure. The house can be changed... easily for some...lots of money for others. But the distance to and the quality of the people around you is not in your control to change.
TEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Yard
Old 07-17-2018, 06:21 PM   #137
Recycles dryer sheets

Yard

We're in the same predicament. Right now we're in a nice big house, a nice big, private yard in a nice neighborhood, but it's too hot and humid to go outside, so all we have - is a house. Where we're going, we're focusing on the property and because of that we'll be outside a lot. Better weather, established landscaping, trees, bushes, wind breaks, out buildings and so on. The house is less than half the size of the house we currently own, but we can tweak that and make it work.
Camas Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:37 AM   #138
Recycles dryer sheets

When we planned retirement we moved to a lower cost state in the South, purchased a fairly large home since the prices were so much better, and are situated in a nice suburban neighborhood about 7 miles from town. We love the house but it does take upkeep, and things do go wrong. If we had our druthers we would be homeless right now, since we already travel 4-5 months out of the year, and just hit the road for the whole year. The other option is to plunk an RV into a place and use that as home for tax purposes and as a place to come to occasionally. Still might do one of these two if we think we can get the house sold, but at 5K sq ft it is not the typical home to attract a lot of folks.
ychuck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:36 PM   #139
Recycles dryer sheets

While your less than perfect house may need some maintenance, a smaller house will need less maintenance in the long run. We chose neighborhood. We wanted to live in a city neighborhood that is walkable and nearer to our friends. Everyone is different and has different needs however. We love our city townhouse even if we have some work to do on it. in our case, that is having work done. Also we don't care if the house is perfect. While open floor plans are great, I find some oddities in newer home layouts - gigantic bathrooms that just waste space, Odd foyers and gigantic high ceilings that make painting yourself nearly impossible. The need for a garage depends on your weather.
bikeknit is offline   Reply With Quote