Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 09:56 AM   #261
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneils View Post
Lol, apparently people dislike lawyers more than used car salesman. Well, this tread went no where in a hurry.

Here is my take, for whatever it its worth. dm's dealer should have eaten the difference. Which is what happened. Great!

Also, I'm surprised a dealership would be so petty with a potential client because they bought their warranty elsewhere. Wouldn't you want repeat business? As in, wouldn't you do your best to get them back there when it comes time to lease or buy a new vehicle?

Since someone else brought it up.... why would someone go to another DEALER to buy an extended warranty I mean... they sell these things cheap... usually all you have to do is say 'Joe down the street will sell it to me for half'... done deal... heck, evey time I am there.... they discount it... and the ask 'well, how much do you think it is worth'... trying to get a number out of me and then selling it for that amount...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2010, 11:22 AM   #262
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Since someone else brought it up.... why would someone go to another DEALER to buy an extended warranty I mean... they sell these things cheap... usually all you have to do is say 'Joe down the street will sell it to me for half'... done deal... heck, evey time I am there.... they discount it... and the ask 'well, how much do you think it is worth'... trying to get a number out of me and then selling it for that amount...
Agreed, but not the way most feel on here. They buy elsewhere, and THEN expect the dealer they didn't buy it at to give them red carpet treatment every time you show up? That's a little far-fetched.........

73ss454 is staying away from this thread for good reason. He lived and breathed the car business for over 30 years, and it's like almost noone believes him. What's that old saying? "Until you walk a mile in my shoes"??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 06-29-2010, 01:20 PM   #263
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
The warranty is from GM not the dealer. I shop for warranties separate from the car. Did the same with my computers. My department puts the warranty service on our equipment up for bids in accordance with state law.

I suspect the salesman low balled the car in the expectation they would build up the price with extras. I didn't go for the extras from them.

My favorite exchange is with sales people is when they ask me something like "how much do you want to pay etc. Theri goal is to get you to make an offer. I never make an offer, that is their job. But I always ask "do you have full authority to sell the car? I don't talk price unless you have the authority. I don't negotiate with someone who has no authority. I respectfully ask that he go get authority by having the manager sign the contract in blank. In one case he came back with it signed, and asked what I had. I pulled out a certified check for about 80% of the price and said my wife would bring the balance in cash when we had a deal. Then we negotiated.

Great fun
Old 06-29-2010, 02:02 PM   #264
Give me a forum ...

I have a friend who shopped at a local dealer, didn't like the price, so he said he was going to try elsewhere. The salesman told him he wouldn't be able to get warranty service at his dealership if he bought elsewhere.

A couple days later he called, talked to the same salesman over the phone, but didn't tell him he had been in recently. He said he was from a town 60 miles away but wasn't getting a good deal, and wanted to see if he could get a better deal from this dealership. But there was a problem. His "home" dealership said they wouldn't do warranty work if he bought out of town. The salesman exclaimed "THey can't do that!! Toyota wouldn't allow it!"
Old 06-29-2010, 02:41 PM   #265
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeritus View Post
My favorite exchange is with sales people is when they ask me something like "how much do you want to pay etc. Theri goal is to get you to make an offer. I never make an offer, that is their job. But I always ask "do you have full authority to sell the car? I don't talk price unless you have the authority. I don't negotiate with someone who has no authority. I respectfully ask that he go get authority by having the manager sign the contract in blank. In one case he came back with it signed, and asked what I had. I pulled out a certified check for about 80% of the price and said my wife would bring the balance in cash when we had a deal. Then we negotiated. Great fun
You want the manager to sign the contract in blank? Why, so you can sue them later?

We used to have customers like that come in. For the most part, they wasted everyone's time and would drive 50 miles away to save $50. If they did buy and came back for another "deal", they would want us to give them massive amounts for their trade-in. Who says the customer is the only one who can have fun? I would have the salesperson pull the file and show the customer what they PAID for the car, usually below invoice. Then a reasonable depreciation for mileage and years driven. It is amazing how well logic worked...........

Old 06-29-2010, 02:51 PM   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
You want the manager to sign the contract in blank? Why, so you can sue them later?

We used to have customers like that come in. For the most part, they wasted everyone's time and would drive 50 miles away to save $50. If they did buy and came back for another "deal", they would want us to give them massive amounts for their trade-in. Who says the customer is the only one who can have fun? I would have the salesperson pull the file and show the customer what they PAID for the car, usually below invoice. Then a reasonable depreciation for mileage and years driven. It is amazing how well logic worked...........
No When the manager signs and hands the form to his salesperson it empowers the sales person to sell the car.
But that would require knowledge of contract law.

Vince
Old 06-29-2010, 02:55 PM   #267
Give me a forum ...

Unsubscribe
Old 06-29-2010, 03:08 PM   #268
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Vince, no offense intended, but I think if I ran a dealership I would ask that you take your business elsewhere.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:40 PM   #269
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Who says the customer is the only one who can have fun? I would have the salesperson pull the file and show the customer what they PAID for the car, usually below invoice.
I don't think that would be a problem around here. The cars generally last longer than the dealerships.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #270
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I have a friend who shopped at a local dealer, didn't like the price, so he said he was going to try elsewhere. The salesman told him he wouldn't be able to get warranty service at his dealership if he bought elsewhere.

A couple days later he called, talked to the same salesman over the phone, but didn't tell him he had been in recently. He said he was from a town 60 miles away but wasn't getting a good deal, and wanted to see if he could get a better deal from this dealership. But there was a problem. His "home" dealership said they wouldn't do warranty work if he bought out of town. The salesman exclaimed "THey can't do that!! Toyota wouldn't allow it!"

OMG.... OMG... OMG.... SALESMEN LIE!!!!

I would have never known......
Old 06-29-2010, 03:56 PM   #271
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
Vince, no offense intended, but I think if I ran a dealership I would ask that you take your business elsewhere.

I wouldn't.... I would THINK that if I ran a dealership that I would want to make a profit from all kinds of people... so far nothing that I have seen written by him is to far out of the ordinary... he might be a PITA at times... but I have not heard him say he ripped off anybody with how he acts...

Even his last posts... all he said is get authorization to sell a car so we can negotiate... the dealer is not going to sell you a car if they do not get any profit... (or course, if they do not make a mistake like the OP)...

One of the things that a dealer can do is just say 'no'... Or, they can give you their price and say come back if you want to buy it... simple..

But nooooo... they want to keep the price high and not come down until you finally find someone who will... and then they fall all over themselves to match that price... a silly silly game...

As an example... there is a Chevy dealer where I went shopping during the cash for clunkers... I wanted the new (can't think of the name, but the small SUV).... it was new and not many out... people wanted them and was paying sticker... so the guy said... I can sell all I get for sticker... sorry, I will not discount... if you want last years model I can give it to you for X... it was quick and easy... he did not sell me a car, but at least it was not a high pressure job on selling..
Old 06-29-2010, 04:02 PM   #272
Give me a forum ...

Customers, OTOH, are known for always telling the truth, never concealing issues with their trade-ins....

Nearly always buy used cars from private parties, but my latest I bought from a small wholesale lot - I would have expected them to be the worst of the worst, but you know what? They were people just like, you know, other people. I was happy, they were happy, nobody had to be at all dickish. weird. I like my life.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:16 PM   #273
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Customers, OTOH, are known for always telling the truth, never concealing issues with their trade-ins....

Nearly always buy used cars from private parties, but my latest I bought from a small wholesale lot - I would have expected them to be the worst of the worst, but you know what? They were people just like, you know, other people. I was happy, they were happy, nobody had to be at all dickish. weird. I like my life.

You reap what you sow. No one likes dealing with a PITA. Anyone want to guess how many times someone spit in his mashed potatoes?

I'm just sayin'....
Old 06-29-2010, 05:08 PM   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I pay cash for cars and expect efficient warranty service. It is always good to know which dealers don't want that kind of business. Perhaps they should just put up a sign.. Hey I pay my credit cards off every month and that I know that infuriates the banks. I also make airlines pay for lost luggage. I made my builder actually comply with our contract. I find myself reminding many sellers that the law in our state does not permit disclaimer of implied warranties to consumers.

I lose one now and then, although never about a car. I still won't fly British airways or stay voluntarily at a Ramada. I gave up on Audi after owning two of them But there is no reason any consumer should tolerate abuse from a quasi-monopolist.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:14 PM   #275

Quote:
. so the guy said... I can sell all I get for sticker... sorry, I will not discount... if you want last years model I can give it to you for X... it was quick and easy... he did not sell me a car, but at least it was not a high pressure job on selling..
I always buy cars that are on the lot, and usually late in the model year. Hard for him to claim that he can sell it for a certain price when it's sitting there unsold at that price.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:36 PM   #276
gone traveling

Quote:
But there is no reason any consumer should tolerate abuse from a quasi-monopolist.
Please enlighten us; I am sure many here find this latest bombastic statement somewhat intriguing.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:55 PM   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Please enlighten us; I am sure many here find this latest bombastic statement somewhat intriguing.
Do you want to discuss the concept of a quasi-monopoly? One of the classical examples is the tying of cellphones to networks in the USA. In Europe it's unlawful and all phones can be fitted to work on all networks. GM and its dealer networks are quasi monopolists for warranty work. You can't just get it anywhere and bill GM.
The law protects consumers form some of the worst anti-competitive activities of monopolists and quasi monopolists.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:15 PM   #278
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Unsubscribe
... and some "Ignore Posters" too...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:23 PM   #279
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No When the manager signs and hands the form to his salesperson it empowers the sales person to sell the car.
But that would require knowledge of contract law. Vince
So, you don't want any negotiation, the dealer is supposed to give your their BEST price, and then you want to negotiate from there?

I'll stick with my point from many posts ago, we used to kick customers like you out of our dealership, it was never worth the effort........

Old 06-30-2010, 04:57 AM   #280

Quote:
So, you don't want any negotiation, the dealer is supposed to give your their BEST price, and then you want to negotiate from there?

I'll stick with my point from many posts ago, we used to kick customers like you out of our dealership, it was never worth the effort........
Let me quote what I wrote

"In one case he came back with it signed, and asked what I had. I pulled out a certified check for about 80% of the price and said my wife would bring the balance in cash when we had a deal. Then we negotiated. Great fun"

I said nothing about price but I only negotiate with people with authority to sell.
Who in their right mind would ever negotiate with a person without authority?
Closed Thread