If you’re so smart, why aren’t you rich?

When I attained a management-level job at mega-motors, I used to laugh inwardly when I'd think about the elite pedigrees and educational institutions of some of my direct reports.

Ha! To report directly to me you needed at least a Master's; two was better. But I didn't have one. More than one way to skin a cat!

Well, my first supervisor was far from crazy, but he was authoritarian to the core: narrow-minded, rigid, man of few words type. He nearly destroyed what little self-confidence I had (and at 23, it wasn't much). Fortunately I moved on to another assignment where I was welcomed and did very well.

Back then, it wasn't unusual to hear things like "You didn't pick up military terminology as fast as the guys do."

Oh...the first guy was around long enough to see me promoted ahead of him one day. And he's now dead, so there.

When I was hired entry level right out of school, my first performance review stated that I "obviously lacked the ability to grasp either the technology or business end and should consider seeking employment elsewhere". Boss was a dope, political, conniving and I knew it.

I ended up staying 33 more years and wound up being the #2 guy as SVP of what became a $400MM company.

Original boss turned out to be quite crazy and eventually was led out of the building one day.

Last edited:
Well, my first supervisor was far from crazy, but he was authoritarian to the core: narrow-minded, rigid, man of few words type. He nearly destroyed what little self-confidence I had (and at 23, it wasn't much). Fortunately I moved on to another assignment where I was welcomed and did very well.

Back then, it wasn't unusual to hear things like "You didn't pick up military terminology as fast as the guys do."

Pretty much the same here. At the time we were a small outfit just out of start-up mode at $2MM a year revenue. On the day of my interview, the boss was out so the GM interviewed me. He loved me and sent me to the boss the next day to interview. (Maybe that was the problem).

Anyway, I was a bit more aggressive in those days so with my bad performance review I figured I had nothing to lose and marched into the GM's office to tell him this was all BS. ( I was 22 at the time; what did I know?!) So the GM transferred me to another department where, like you I thrived, grew, learned and ended up running the place!

Boss went completely ballistic on me but his boss (the GM) covered me. Even years later the old boss would try to thwart any promotions or recognition but he was eventually sent packing. Turns out, everyone knew he was crackers.

Funny, as I write this it's the first time I've thought about this in 45 years now.......

Ha! To report directly to me you needed at least a Master's; two was better. But I didn't have one. More than one way to skin a cat!

I noticed that before I left too. Masters is the new Bachelors. Honestly, I think I learned more from my BSCS than I folks I worked with who had MSCS 20 years later.

So of course DS is getting his MSCS now. Maybe his kids will need two Masters...

I noticed that before I left too. Masters is the new Bachelors. Honestly, I think I learned more from my BSCS than I folks I worked with who had MSCS 20 years later.

So of course DS is getting his MSCS now. Maybe his kids will need two Masters...

A masters degree does open a lot of doors now but in the early 80's you could have made a lot of money with a bachelors degree only and many people did not bother continuing. I did my Masters part time. It took longer but I'm glad I did it with while I was young. The course work was considerably more difficult. At my last job, most of our senior engineers have graduate degrees as well as the management staff. The company actually encouraged it and paid tuition and other expenses as long as you passed and stayed with the company for at least 4 years after completing the courses.

The journey was the destination

A masters degree does open a lot of doors now but in the early 80's you could have made a lot of money with a bachelors degree only and many people did not bother continuing. I did my Masters part time. It took longer but I'm glad I did it with while I was young. The course work was considerably more difficult. At my last job, most of our senior engineers have graduate degrees as well as the management staff. The company actually encouraged it and paid tuition and other expenses as long as you passed and stayed with the company for at least 4 years after completing the courses.

I don't believe my Master's degree itself opened any doors for me, but the process of getting it was priceless.

I, too, earned it while w*rking full time. The courses were harder than at the bach level, but I perceived that the rigorous mental exercise made me palpably smarter and more productive on the j*b.

Alas, I completed the degree, downshifted to ordinary living and as a result my cerebral faculties have atrophied considerably in the Dilbertian environment of Megacorp. By the time I punch out of here (come on December!), I'll probably be reduced to blowing spit bubbles and watching reality TV. Just in time.

All my rich friends are savvy but do not hold advanced degrees. Sometimes no degree at all. They had to make it without the benefit of credentials!

(I had a Masters degree thanks to The Ford Foundation but it never provided a living after the initial placement.)

Back
Top Bottom