If you were 18 years old and...

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
...making the first big decision about your future...
and....
knowing what you know today... what would that choice be?

For the sake of argument... let's assume parents that could afford to pay half the expense of four years education.

College? Military? Trade school? On-line College? Apprenticeship? Other.

If continued education, what kind of major... what degree level?

This isn't just a hypothetical... I have a grandson who will be in this position in another year.

My own choice would still be a small school Liberal Arts education. Not for the money making potential, but for the broad base of knowledge, that has led to a great enjoyment of life.

I'd tell 18 y.o. me to go see the doc about that minor health concern before it gets any worse. Otherwise, pretty happy with my life choices.

Easy. I'd also choose a liberal arts degree at a small college--just what I did. I have not regretted my literature degree one bit; in fact, it has enormously enhanced my life. Of course I did go on to get a Ph.D. in it and have had a very satisfying career as a university professor.

I would tell young people (and I do tell young people) to follow the direction their heart is pointing. The hardest advising cases I have are young people with no real interests or drive. ..

I'd go away to a 4 year technical BS program. Being away at school isn't the cheapest, but it lets you experience being without the close proximity guidance of a parent. I think that's hugely valuable. The technical thing is, of course, only if you have the aptitude. I thank my lucky stars that I dug into a niche that not just anybody could do (without training and experience). Some scoffed at my choice, but when the going got tough, me, in my 'detailed job' worked through every downturn, and got paid handsomly for something I thought was mostly sorta fun. I never was a big shot, never managed more than a handful of people (and bailed out of that gig as quick as I could), so I'd advise my younger self not to chase stuff that other people thought would be good for me.

After the BS was almost complete, I'd poke my head up and check the waters. Given I'd have done well in my technical degree :) I'd have a choice of jobs. Or I could go to grad school. Or I could work a few years, THEN go to grad school (which is what I actually did).

So, not surprisingly, and to save myself from cognitive disonance, I pretty much told you what really happened to me; I wouldn't change a thing :)

Depends on the 18 year old. Today I would say, if he or she likes going to school, to minor in business and major in whatever floats his or her boat (this includes trade school--take the business classes at a community college if necessary). If on the shy side, go to a smaller college and live there because making lifelong friends is also important. If socially mature and uncertain about what floats said boat, go to a big school with lots of majors. The business minor will help in filling out those status reports one day :) and also people with some business knowledge have more doors open to them.

If the kid hates school and has no passion to learn about anything, go work for a few years.

If the kid needs direction, maybe Uncle Sam will take him or her in.

I would encourage a teenager with a talent or passion to pursue it.

Backing up a bit... not really advice to others, but, knowing what you know today, and being 18 again, what would you choose?

Knowing what I know now? Am I 18 in 1975 or 2014? That would affect the military option. Otherwise I'd go for whatever was the fastest way to a steady buck. That would likely be a trade school of some kind. Since there's no inherent necessity to earn a huge amount of money, college up-front would not be necessary.

...making the first big decision about your future...
and....
knowing what you know today... what would that choice be?

For the sake of argument... let's assume parents that could afford to pay half the expense of four years education.

College? Military? Trade school? On-line College? Apprenticeship? Other.

If continued education, what kind of major... what degree level?

This isn't just a hypothetical... I have a grandson who will be in this position in another year.

My own choice would still be a small school Liberal Arts education. Not for the money making potential, but for the broad base of knowledge, that has led to a great enjoyment of life.
We have one kid in college and one on the way. For Eldest it was a no brainer...he has wanted to study computer science since he was in middle school, and even after only his freshman year he had an internship paying him $25/hour full time for the summer. His passion will take care of him nicely from a financial POV.

Youngest is a different story. His current passion is music, and he originally wanted to major in it. He is good, but you need to be much more than good in this industry. We simply pointed out that his passion for spending probably would not be provided for with a degree in music. He has decided to minor in music and keep it a hobby, pursue a degree like engineering that will involve his talent and liking of science and math. We are picking up the costs of an undergraduate degree, but they know this is likely to be their only inheritance, and have been counseled to spend it wisely.

I consider learning to be a self-process. People can give you the tools to help you learn, but you have to do it yourself. So if I were 18 again, I would skip the liberal arts degree and go for something that I enjoy and pay me enough that I could learn the rest later. Having been exposed to mostly liberal arts growing up, it was automatically the thing I focused on initially for my degree. Fortunately for me I had a fabulous Chemistry 101 teacher sophomore year who helped me discover the beauty of that science. My older brother gave me a hard time for being a "sell out," switching to a more practical degree than one in liberal arts. 30 years later he finally admitted he wished he too had been more practical. Two of my sisters who got their BA in liberal arts later got their nursing degree so they could support themselves. There is nothing noble about not being able to provide for one's needs.

Sure, one can make it in life with a liberal arts degree, but the chances of doing so, particularly these days, is slim. Be well rounded, be a person of the world, but be able to support yourself.

4 year software or hardware engineering degree. That is how I steered son, and it worked well.

If I had gone into engineering instead of liberal arts, I am sure my own position would be improved.

If I could be 18 again, I would pursue a degree in Engineering, with a minor in Management.

Occupation-wise, even with the advantage of hindsight I wouldn't change much. I would suggest to my 18-year-old self to finish the B.S. degree when I had the chance to have the government pay for it (Law Enforcement Assistance Administration, Nixon era) instead of playing with my airplane. Later I did it on my own.

Oh, and don't marry who turned out to be the ex. Most expensive mistake I ever made.

If I was 18 and know what I know now, I would have majored in Psychology going on to a PhD.

Of course, that doesn't mean that would have been right for anyone other than me. It is very easy to say as many do that a child (or grandchild or whoever) should major in science or math or some technical field. For those who have those talents and enjoy those subjects it is great (I have a son who is a computer science major). But, it isn't enjoyable for everyone and it doesn't fit the talents of everyone.

At 18 I made the choice not to go to UC Berkeley as an undeclared major. (I was accepted, but had no clue what I wanted to be when I grew up.) Instead I took an entry level clerical job for a car insurance company.

On the surface it looks like a terrible decision. But in reality it was one of my better choices.
- I learned the importance of a college education (having seen what crap jobs there were for a bright 18 year old without one.)
- I learned independence and how to live cheap since I'd moved out and was paying rent on what was basically a minimum wage salary.
- I eventually learned I DID want to go to college - with the purpose of having a degree that would get me a good job. Ended up at San Diego State in engineering. (Not the same cache as Berkeley - but it served it's purpose)

I am an RN with a four year BS degree. I have been lucky to find jobs that are family-friendly, however most RNs end up working many weekends, evenings, and nights. Even though I always did exceptionally well in school, I always knew my priority was wanting to be a wife and mommy. If I was starting over today I would make sure my career choice matched my future family wants/needs.

Last edited:
Backing up a bit... not really advice to others, but, knowing what you know today, and being 18 again, what would you choose?
Computers -(I actually was a programmer in my other life) Great to have a skill,
the money was great, and as far as having to earn a living for me was better than anything else I could think of.

Any skill is great.

I got arrested when I was 18. No joke.

It'll probably happen again if I don't mind my manners :)

Yea so did I, minor in possession of alcohol. I was married, not living at home. Four of us got caught with a 12 pack.

DF found out about it in the local paper. Even though I was not living at home and supporting myself, he failed to see the humor.

I'd go into healthcare. Goal would be to get good education and whatever it took to get PT certification.

MRG

Any skill may be great, but the ones that are valued and people are willing to pay for are better.

I'm thinking the advice from Roger Angell and Bob Bingham was good “More venery”. I was always timid in that sense, being an introvert.

Knowing what I know now? Am I 18 in 1975 or 2014? That would affect the military option. Otherwise I'd go for whatever was the fastest way to a steady buck. That would likely be a trade school of some kind. Since there's no inherent necessity to earn a huge amount of money, college up-front would not be necessary.

Actually to factor the draft in make in 1972 (It was abolished in early 1973, and back then the earliest anyone was inducted was 18.5 due to processing times. By 1975 there was no draft thus its just another career choice.

Yea so did I, minor in possession of alcohol. I was married, not living at home. Four of us got caught with a 12 pack.

DF found out about it in the local paper. Even though I was not living at home and supporting myself, he failed to see the humor.

I'd go into healthcare. Goal would be to get good education and whatever it took to get PT certification.

MRG

Mine was for marijuana and booze. We were playing a dance and the other nuts in the band left the stuff in my car. The cops were waiting and gave me a courtesy ride to the police station. But they were really nice, said "Look, you're from XXX, this is YYY" (two different towns). "We'll file this and you're on probation but chances are XXX will never hear about it."

I think the op question tends to imply we would change either what we are or how we got to where we are. My early years were a hodge podge of education, and was married at 19 (still am and it's one of my/our greatest assets). Came from a father and his father who were engineers but I went for biology degree and then med school. After a month of med school and realizing impact on married life, dropped out and worked in a warehouse for a year. Also realized I wasn't up to witnessing a lot of pain and suffering. After reading want ads in the paper realized engineers made a lot more $$ than scientists, so got BSCE and MS (while DW supported me). First three years of consulting engineering were misery and I wondered why I ever left med school! Then hit my stride in utilities management.

So my point is I appeared to make mistakes along the way, but I would not change a thing. We all have to stub our toes, break a bone or two, maybe get arrested. In the end though, if you can look back and realize how all of this built who you are and you are reasonably happy, it was all the price to be where you are, who you are. Not to say there aren't a ton of mistakes that are pretty much irreparable (jail sentences, broken families with really bad consequences) but if you try hard you can end up with what you want.

One of lessons we taught our kids over and over was they needed a career that paid the bills but that they were going to have to do it for a long long time so choose carefully and be willing to change. Both ended up engineers (chemical). They've made some rather substantial decisions regarding careers that have made for some interesting lives. If you asked either of them the "what would you tell yourself at 18" I don't think you'd get any deep life altering suggestions.

So, while if you posed this kind of a question in my 20's I'd probably have had some pretty strong suggestions. Now at 62 I'm good with all I did. And what I didn't do!

Actually to factor the draft in make in 1972 (It was abolished in early 1973, and back then the earliest anyone was inducted was 18.5 due to processing times. By 1975 there was no draft thus its just another career choice.

Has nada to do with the draft. I meant that considering it at a time when war was highly NOT likely vs a time when it's all war all the time would be a factor.

Ultimately tho I had no real choice. At the time, as Dick Armey said, all the capitalists were trying to prove Marx was right. The home environment was shtty. The only goal in life was to jump. Job, money, drag the bag on my own. There were no "choices."

Back
Top Bottom