Join Early Retirement Today

Illinois State Tax on inherited IRA?
Old 07-27-2020, 08:09 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Illinois State Tax on inherited IRA?

In the next year I will begin withdrawals on an inherited IRA over a 10 year schedule due to the recent changes in tax law. In Illinois, retirement income is free from State income tax, but I do not know if this applies to inherited IRA withdrawals in the same way it would from regular IRAs. Currently my plan is to make my withdrawals prepaying the appropriate tax, but I am unsure how to treat Illinois. Should I prepay at the fixed state income tax rate, or skip the state tax?

Does anyone know the rules for inherited IRAs in Illinois?

Thanks in advance
KarlH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2020, 08:18 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'll let Illini on the board give the real answer. But just at a guess I would think that an inherited IRA wouldn't be considered retirement income. That's too easy a target for them to miss.

Hmm... tried to look up the term for a group of people from Illinois, but using those terms just got me a bunch of Covid meeting restrictions links. So forgive me if I got it wrong. It's not simple like Delawarians.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:48 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I wouldn't think that distributions from an inherited IRA would be taxable since IL doen't tax IRA withdrawals. Couldn't find anything authoritative, but this was on point. YMMV.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/re...a%20Roth%20IRA.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:53 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I'm no expert, and have never lived in Illinois.

The instructions for the apparently relevant line (line 5 of IL-1040) state:

"Enter the amount of federally taxed Social Security and retirement income included in your adjusted gross income on Form IL-1040, Line 1 that you received from
• qualified employee benefit plans (including railroad retirement and 401(K) plans) and Individual Retirement Accounts or self employed retirement plans reported on federal Form 1040 or 1040-SR, Line 4b and 4d."

page 7 of https://www2.illinois.gov/rev/forms/...1040-instr.pdf

When you have an inherited IRA, it is an IRA (duh). So according to the description given above I would exclude it on line 5.

If I were actually in your shoes, I would probably dig into the Illinois state statutes to see if there is any better description. In my state I would not expect there to be, having done this sort of exercise before on a similar type of question.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 01:51 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Personal experience here. I am an Illinois resident. Inherited a traditional IRA in 2014 and have had distributions made every year. Currently, Illinois does not tax those distributions. However, can't say how many more years it will stay that way given the poor financial health of the state.
Germonico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:54 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlH View Post
In the next year I will begin withdrawals on an inherited IRA over a 10 year schedule due to the recent changes in tax law. In Illinois, retirement income is free from State income tax, but I do not know if this applies to inherited IRA withdrawals in the same way it would from regular IRAs. Currently my plan is to make my withdrawals prepaying the appropriate tax, but I am unsure how to treat Illinois. Should I prepay at the fixed state income tax rate, or skip the state tax?

Does anyone know the rules for inherited IRAs in Illinois?

Thanks in advance
we're in illinois and my wife has an inherited IRA. her RMD's are not taxed in illinois. yet.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote