Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-04-2011, 09:12 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Well, it is true. And any post to a website is pretty much doing an unpaid job for a moneymaking business in that the posters are all providing content for free.

Maybe we need to "occupy e-r.org."
Make sure we have plenty of beer and outhouses*

* in that order
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Well, it is true. And any post to a website is pretty much doing an unpaid job for a moneymaking business in that the posters are all providing content for free.

Maybe we need to "occupy e-r.org."
You are right about this, and it is something that I have thought about more than once. But, if a poster can accept that he has a only a subset of free speech available here, he can pretty much say anything, whereas a moderator has a more narrow task of keeping posts away from controversy or anything that might impede the commercial purpose of the site.

Posting here has some elements of a conversation with friends. We don't expect to get paid, other than in enjoyment, when we have a conversation. But if it were my job to supervise a conversation to steer people away from certain topics or viewpoints, I would want to get paid.

I am still curious about what is the reward matrix from those who do volunteer and continue in moderator service?

Ha
Old 12-04-2011, 11:30 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I am still curious about what is the reward matrix from those who do volunteer and continue in moderator service?
Or any volunteer work, for that matter! But for some reason people are motivated to roll up their sleeves and pitch in, whether it is helping out in moderating the board that they would be reading anyway, or more meaningful (and harder) volunteer work like serving food to the homeless.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:42 AM   #24
Administrator

Quote:

Ha
In my case it is the thought that the forum would not be successful without moderation. I enjoy the community and benefit from it and would like to see it thrive, so I'm happy to contribute.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
In my case it is the thought that the forum would not be successful without moderation. I enjoy the community and benefit from it and would like to see it thrive, so I'm happy to contribute.
Thanks for the comments from some moderators.

Ha
Old 12-04-2011, 12:13 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You are right about this, and it is something that I have thought about more than once. But, if a poster can accept that he has a only a subset of free speech available here, he can pretty much say anything, whereas a moderator has a more narrow task of keeping posts away from controversy or anything that might impede the commercial purpose of the site.

Posting here has some elements of a conversation with friends. We don't expect to get paid, other than in enjoyment, when we have a conversation. But if it were my job to supervise a conversation to steer people away from certain topics or viewpoints, I would want to get paid.

Ha
I think you are reading too much into it. As a moderator, I have no idea what the commercial purpose of this site is. I have never talked to the owner and I don't even know if ER.org is profitable. I have not signed any contract. I have never promised to uphold any corporate standards. And it is not my job to stifle controversies for the purpose of protecting the owner's bottom line.

My job is to enforce community rules. Those rules are not corporate guidelines. Those rules have been created by the people and for the people of this community so that ER.org can remain an enjoyable forum for all. I volunteered to join the moderator team because I have a vested interest in keeping ER.org enjoyable for me (in my experience, unmoderated forums quickly turn ugly). The way I see it, I am not working on behalf of the site owner, but on behalf of the community.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:23 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Ha, I don't know why I do any of the other volunteer things I have done (youth stuff, ESL tutoring, etc.) other than there was a need for someone to do them and I could (in all cases there was a request for volunteers--I did not approach the entity asking to help).

I was flattered to be asked to be a mod and I don't spend any more time here than before I was a mod. Unmoderated boards seem to be difficult to sustain as one-note ponies seem to take them over, and I had enjoyed this board for several years before becoming a mod so I felt it must be my turn to help maintain it when I was asked. I know I'm certainly not one of them, but there are some amazingly thoughtful mods helping out here for the thornier issues. The Air Jordan/cell phone/Nigerian inheritance spammers are the easy ones to deal with.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:45 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Websites like this provide an outlet to people who are too lazy, antisocial, extreme INTJ, or have whatever reasons to not maintain a blog. Readership of a website like this ensures that any rant will get read by a few dozen. It also provides an easy answer to the question of "what ya do all day".
*Ahem.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
My job is to enforce community rules. Those rules are not corporate guidelines. Those rules have been created by the people and for the people of this community so that ER.org can remain an enjoyable forum for all. I volunteered to join the moderator team because I have a vested interest in keeping ER.org enjoyable for me (in my experience, unmoderated forums quickly turn ugly). The way I see it, I am not working on behalf of the site owner, but on behalf of the community.
Actually, if you go through the mod archives, you can see the rules changing along with the ownership and the moderator roster.

Today's rules aren't necessarily "bad" or "good" compared to when REWahoo was publicly roping trolls, but the rules are certainly different.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote