Join Early Retirement Today

Implications of odd homeschooling comment?
Old 07-19-2010, 06:19 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Implications of odd homeschooling comment?

We had a pleasant trip this weekend, but I heard a puzzling comment and was wondering if someone more in the know could decode it. DD (age 6) and I were at a preserved/recreated historical site (with easily the nicest natl park rangers I have ever met) and watching a blacksmith demonstration. Since we were the only ones there, he was chatting with us in very friendly fashion. After speaking with DD for a while, he turned to me and said,"she is very bright, do you homeschool her?". Ummm, no, she goes to public school, but thanks for the compliment.

Any clue what the implication of the homeschool comment was? It was not in any way motivated by any negative sentiment, as the blacksmith was as friendly as everyone else (never had a natl park ranger tell me to go ahead and dunk my beagles in the creek if the heat was too much for them). This was not far from Lancaster County in what I think of as a more conservative area of PA, so perhaps there is something in the milleau I am missing? Genuinely curious and not intended as political in any way.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2010, 06:34 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have never given this much thought, but, I am going to assume the blacksmith was trying to say that when you find really bright kids at a younger age he believed them to be home schooled. It could say more about the area. Does it make since? My guess the answer is, it depends. Based on the results of spelling bees around here, home schoolers rule. It could also be that home schoolers start earlier and therefore bright younger kids might be seen as home schooled. Anyway, interesting topic.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:45 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe the blacksmith's kids are homeschooled. Or he just had a class of kids come in (do they have year-round school in Lancaster, or maybe a summer program?) who were rowdy and inattentive as any group of kids might tend to be.

Funny comment no matter what. It sounds like a compliment, at least.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
This was not far from Lancaster County in what I think of as a more conservative area of PA, so perhaps there is something in the milleau I am missing?
Lancaster County is home to a large Amish population, who pretty much don't rely on the government or big business for much of anything. Perhaps that was the source of his comment.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:41 AM   #5
Administrator

I also suspect home schooling is big in that area - rural plus lots of Amish - and the smithy was paying you and your DD a compliment.

At age 6 there is a big difference between home schooled compared with public schooled children. Public schooling focuses much more on human interaction and social relationships, while home schooling is much more focused on reading and numbers. A home schooled child is also more likely to learn how to ask questions and then have them answered.

I'm not aware of any evidence that shows one method to be superior than the other by college age.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:36 AM   #6
gone traveling

A genuine compliment to your daughter and a sad commentary on what he is accustomed to seeing with kids from the public school system all rolled into one. You got a two-fer.

Let me guess; she was inquisitive, respectftul, paying attention and genuinely interested in learning about the subject matter at hand- as oposed to unruly, spoiled, bored, totally distracted by texting/playing a computer game...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:17 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the comments. I am far out of the loop onthe whole homeschooling idea. Mostly associate it with people who cannot stand the idea of their kids being taught about evolution, etc., but clearly that is a stereotype rather than likely reality. Personally, I cannot imagine homeschooling this kid. She thrives on the social interaction too much and devours information so fast it needs to come on a conveyor belt. Don't think I could keep up.

- George Orwell

Old 07-19-2010, 10:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Let me guess; she was inquisitive, respectftul, paying attention and genuinely interested in learning about the subject matter at hand- as oposed to unruly, spoiled, bored, totally distracted by texting/playing a computer game...
I guess she is. And she goes to a public school. Which would mean...
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:09 AM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks for the comments. I am far out of the loop onthe whole homeschooling idea. Mostly associate it with people who cannot stand the idea of their kids being taught about evolution, etc., but clearly that is a stereotype rather than likely reality. Personally, I cannot imagine homeschooling this kid. She thrives on the social interaction too much and devours information so fast it needs to come on a conveyor belt. Don't think I could keep up.
Hi Brewer. Lots of homeschooling takes place in rural and lower density areas where schools are not close by or adequately funded. It also does not mean parent taught - it might be a small group of families with a qualified adult teaching that’s also a parent . I have a good friend with home schooled children - through grade school - because they wanted to control the curriculum content and sequence. I’m sure for some there is religious or cultural motivation, but it still needs to meet state standards and the children have a hard time with college acceptance if they don’t do well on standardized tests. That said, effective homeschooling demands a highly qualified adult leader.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:41 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

My granddaughters mentioned when they were at my house last week that they might be homeschooled. Also in the same conversation my oldest (age 11) said she'd like to go to Harvard. She certainly is bright enough, although I doubt she'll have the economic means to attain that. Anyway, I about had a heart attack when she said that the plan was that her dad (my son) would teach them a couple hours in the morning when he gets off work (he works nights as a cop), then they would help another adult babysit their new twin brothers while their dad sleeps and their stepmom works, and then there would be some other learning opportunities at other times during the week (I'm assuming evenings and weekends). I mentioned to my son that I hope he'll keep the girls in public schools and I was sure we both had their best interests in mind.
Any other suggestions?
bhoferp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:26 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

The owners of one of the fishing camps we stay at annually home school their 4 kids. My DW (retired public school special ed teacher) has been extremely impressed with the kids based on conversations with them.

It was interesting to watch DW's opinion change over the years. She was an outspoken anti-home schooling person before the first encounter with this family, but changed as we got to know them and watched the kids grow up.

Brewer, I think it's safe to assume your daughter was being complimented by the question regarding her schooling. Home schooled kids, according to my DW, at that age are often very well spoken, polite, curious and confident when communicating with adults. They look at every encounter as an opportunity to ask questions and learn.

Given the chance for a do-over, I'd still choose to not home school my family. But having gotten to know these folks and having an open mind about acceptable, reasonable life styles in our society, I support the home schoolers right to do so and think most are doing a fine job.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:32 PM   #12
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
I guess she is. And she goes to a public school. Which would mean...
And I went to a public school, too!
Which would mean...
Old 07-19-2010, 12:35 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
A genuine compliment to your daughter and a sad commentary on what he is accustomed to seeing with kids from the public school system all rolled into one. You got a two-fer.

This is my take exactly. Homeschooled kids here win all the prizes open to students like spelling bees and the like. It was an extreme compliment. If I had kids, homeschooling would be the ultimate sacrifice to ensure they were properly educated, something that rarely happens in our public schools.

Kudos to you, Brewer. There are far worse things to be mistaken for than a homeschooling parent.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:40 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I support the home schoolers right to do so and think most are doing a fine job.
Lest ye be misled, I don't disagree. So long as they meet state standards, good on them. IMO, there would appear to be tradeoffs in doing this are not necessarily best for us, but I suppose if I were in an area with abominable schools and could not move I would seriously consider homeschooling myself.

- George Orwell

Old 07-19-2010, 12:41 PM   #15
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Kudos to you, Brewer. There are far worse things to be mistaken for than a homeschooling parent.
Perhaps:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post959328

Old 07-19-2010, 12:42 PM   #16

Quote:
We had a pleasant trip this weekend, but I heard a puzzling comment and was wondering if someone more in the know could decode it. DD (age 6) and I were at a preserved/recreated historical site (with easily the nicest natl park rangers I have ever met) and watching a blacksmith demonstration. Since we were the only ones there, he was chatting with us in very friendly fashion. After speaking with DD for a while, he turned to me and said,"she is very bright, do you homeschool her?". Ummm, no, she goes to public school, but thanks for the compliment.

Any clue what the implication of the homeschool comment was? It was not in any way motivated by any negative sentiment, as the blacksmith was as friendly as everyone else (never had a natl park ranger tell me to go ahead and dunk my beagles in the creek if the heat was too much for them). This was not far from Lancaster County in what I think of as a more conservative area of PA, so perhaps there is something in the milleau I am missing? Genuinely curious and not intended as political in any way.
Political rant... LOL... this is a symptom of how we perceive (as a country) our public education system. The perception is we don't want a country of idiots, so we teach to some basic level, but 90% of the people which are above that basic level (or so the perception is) must have gone to a school which is private or home schooled.

No child left behind means everyone achieves a basic level. This just creates an environment of mediocrity (IMO). If the program were named "it takes only 1 genius to change a generation" and the programs were designed for the smarter kids to thrive and be challenged, then I think the whole perception of public education would change.

Genius is not learned or established in schools- the biggest genius of our generation might be Bill Gates- and he dropped out of college to follow his passion and $$. Thomas Edison would be an example of 1 genius which changed a generation. If you are reading this on something which is electric and plugged into a wall, you can trace that back to the invention of the light bulb.

So my rant here is in rural areas especially, education comes from places outside the public classroom.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:47 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoferp View Post
Any other suggestions?
Keep your own counsel?

When you want your son and his wife making your decisions consider making his?

Ha
Old 07-19-2010, 01:25 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Personally, I cannot imagine homeschooling this kid. She thrives on the social interaction too much and devours information so fast it needs to come on a conveyor belt. Don't think I could keep up.
While homeschoolers have a hard time matching the quantity of peer-to-peer interaction that "regular school" kids get, many don't see this as a problem at all. After all, kids learn a lot from watching and interacting, and they are bound to learn more successful strategies by imitating behaviors modeled by successful, responsible adults than from their peers (do we all remember how gradeschool kids treat each other?). Homeshoolers often get the kids together from several families in order to give the kids some them together, but you can bet the disruptive, mean, etc ones are soon excluded.
Regarding the volume of info--a lot on homechooling families have no trouble keeping the spigot turned on as much as the kids can handle. When one studies the amount of time devoted in a typical classroom to actually teaching material and skills, it's a very low percentage of the day. The especially bright kids pay a price while the rest of the class gets more instructions.

I'm sure some people homeschool for the "wrong" reasons, but there's are a lot of potential upsides to it. It takes a lot of dedication, and I doubt that most people can do it successfully without a significant re-prioritization of their lives. (For the record--I'm a public school product, and our daughter attended public and then private schools).
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:41 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I realize anecdotal evidence is just that, but my experience with two families' four home schooled kids isn't that favorable. While they were obviously very bright and probably got an above average education, it appeared to me once they got into the real world they would be eaten alive. No street smarts whatsoever.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:55 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
While homeschoolers have a hard time matching the quantity of peer-to-peer interaction that "regular school" kids get, many don't see this as a problem at all. After all, kids learn a lot from watching and interacting, and they are bound to learn more successful strategies by imitating behaviors modeled by successful, responsible adults than from their peers (do we all remember how gradeschool kids treat each other?). Homeshoolers often get the kids together from several families in order to give the kids some them together, but you can bet the disruptive, mean, etc ones are soon excluded.
I guess my worry would be that in real life the mean kids are not removed, unfortunately. Remember what most offices are like?

- George Orwell