Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-01-2019, 11:45 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So things are looking up in the work department. Got a call this morning asking me if I would take more injured worker compensation cases and do case management. I said yes because I find it easy and like it. Turns out they want me because I am nice to the clients and many workers are not. Don’t know why you would even be in this field if you don’t want to help people. It will be part time and when they get busy I can decide how many cases I want. Also another company is using me for testing. I gave up doing this kind of work 2 years ago because my class was enough but now I am happy to do it again.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2019, 12:32 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Busy + Money = Happy
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:56 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
So received a email from the university asking me to apply for one of their 3 full time instructor positions. What is expected is incredible and I guess it’s cheaper than a bunch of part time people. It’s only a contract for one year and I am not applying. I had a 3 week period with a bunch of consulting work so I took it all but due to my profession being a small niche it could be 6-12 months until they need me again.
What was "incredible" about what they expected?
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 04:13 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

All the other duties in addition to teaching for what they are willing to pay.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:02 PM   #45

Quote:
All the other duties in addition to teaching for what they are willing to pay.
Which are what? I teach full time. A department meeting once a month (maybe, we usually skip them). Response to Dept chair on course changes or pre/co-req changes a couple times a year. Occasional recommendation letter for a student (which I also did as an Adjunct). A couple annual safety/wellness/whatever education sessions (usually on-line). Attendance at the commencement. Being on a hiring committee if they ever decide to hire someone else full time.

That's about it. Compared to my 60+ hour weeks and travel every other week mega corp job....
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:23 PM   #46

Quote:
So things are looking up in the work department. Got a call this morning asking me if I would take more injured worker compensation cases and do case management. I said yes because I find it easy and like it. Turns out they want me because I am nice to the clients and many workers are not. Don’t know why you would even be in this field if you don’t want to help people. It will be part time and when they get busy I can decide how many cases I want. Also another company is using me for testing. I gave up doing this kind of work 2 years ago because my class was enough but now I am happy to do it again.
Very good news Terry!
Old 05-02-2019, 08:01 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Copy, teaching 4 courses a semester, developing new courses for the university, advisor to students, donating 20% of your time to volunteer work for the university, other things but I deleted the job announcements. Marie, thanks.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:28 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Today the university contacted me because my class has not been rewritten for the fall and if students don’t take the old version some won’t be able to graduate. They haven’t hired enough full time people to replace all the part time people so asked me to teach it one more time. I am happy to do so both because I loved doing it and of course the money was great.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:18 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Good on ya - great update!
footenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:08 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

TT - happy for you !

Teach it one more time.

Are they asking you to rewrite it too?
Octogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:29 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

No they have a new dean that wants all the part time people gone. They sent me a job announcement for full time staff to do that. There are 3 full time jobs I could apply for but at 65 1 class was plenty.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:51 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I would have told them no... the new dean wants all part-time people gone... I would have told him "you reap what you sow... figure it out... I have FU money and I'm spendin it... so FU".

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:57 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

I do this job because I absolutely love it. It makes my heart sing and it’s been a blessing for 6 years to us financially and emotionally . It pays extremely well and I feel for the students that need this course to graduate. It’s a requirement.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:01 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Today the university contacted me because my class has not been rewritten for the fall and if students don’t take the old version some won’t be able to graduate. They haven’t hired enough full time people to replace all the part time people so asked me to teach it one more time. I am happy to do so both because I loved doing it and of course the money was great.
Ha, ha! how about that! Guess they were a bit too ambitious with their new plan.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:59 AM   #55

Typically enrollment declines when unemployment is low then enrollment increases when unemployment is high. This was frustrating when trying to negotiate a raise. Their argument was "enrollment is down so we don't have the money for salary increases". Then it was "enrollment is up because the economy is bad so there isn't money for raises".

Most colleges like to hire part time teachers for the reasons others have stated. Sorry to hear this wasn't the case for you.

Since money is not an issue for you have you considered being a tutor? It could be one-on-one or a small group setting. That will give you a challenge.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:01 AM   #56

Quote:
No they have a new dean that wants all the part time people gone. They sent me a job announcement for full time staff to do that. There are 3 full time jobs I could apply for but at 65 1 class was plenty.

It seems that the new dean might have some trouble down the road with the bean counters.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:39 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Badger, I will think about the tutoring. Good idea. I am wondering if they are saving money by hiring the 3 full time people that only have a 9 month contract with no tenure track. The people that teach in person part time only make 2500 a semester but online instructors are paid per student so we do really well. They didn’t list a salary for the full time jobs.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:12 AM   #58

Quote:
I do this job because I absolutely love it. It makes my heart sing and it’s been a blessing for 6 years to us financially and emotionally . It pays extremely well and I feel for the students that need this course to graduate. It’s a requirement.

That’s so great for you and for the students too! Congratulations!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:34 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Talk about poor planning. The new dean should have put more thoughts into this before executing it. Anyway I’m happy for you that you get to teach your online course at least one more semester. And who knows, maybe the dean will change his/her mind and let you continue.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:36 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

It’s a Dean very high up and not the dean of the social work department. The only hope I see is if they cannot fill the 3 full time positions to teach the 12 classes.