Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Include cancelling your CCs in your will
Old 07-03-2006, 12:29 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Include cancelling your CCs in your will

A friend sent me this one. It is really hilarious but not surprising. Can you image the quality of customer service 40 years from now.

==================================================

Cancel your credit cards...THIS IS SO FUNNY

Be sure and cancel your credit cards before you die. This is so priceless, and so easy to see happening, customer service being what it is today.

A lady died this past January, and Citibank billed her for February and March for their annual service charges on her credit card, and then added late fees and interest on the monthly charge. The balance had been $0.00, now is somewhere around $60.00! A family member placed a call to Citibank:
*and

1. Family Member: "I am calling to tell you that she died in January."
2. Bank: "The account was never closed and the late fees and charges still apply."
3. Family Member: "Maybe, you should turn it over to collections."
4. Bank: "Since it is two months past due, it already has been."
5. Family Member: So, what will they do when they find out she is dead?"
6. Bank! : "Either report her account to the frauds division or report her to the credit bureau, maybe both!"
7. Family Member: "Do you think God will be mad at her?"
8. Bank: "Excuse me?"
9. Family Member: "Did you just get what I was telling you - the part about her being dead?"
10. Bank: "Sir, you'll have to speak to my supervisor."

Supervisor gets on the phone:

1. Family Member: "I'm calling to tell you, she died in January."
2. Bank: "The account was never closed and the late fees and charges still apply."
3. Family Member: "You mean you want to collect from her estate?"
4. Bank: (Stammer) "Are you her lawyer?"
5. Family Member: "No, I'm her great nephew." (Lawyer info given)
6. Bank: "Could you fax us a certificate of death?" !
7. Family Member: "Sure." (fax number is given)

After they get the fax:

1. Bank: "Our system just isn't set-up for death. I don't know what more I can do to help."
2. Family Member: "Well, if you figure it out, great! If not, you could just keep billing her. I don't think she will care."
3. Bank: "Well, the late fees and charges do still apply."
4. Family Member: "Would you like her new billing address?"
5. Bank : "That might help."
6. Family Member: "Odessa Memorial Cemetery, Highway 129, Plot Number 69."
7. Bank: "Sir, that's a cemetery!" !
8. Family Member: "What do you do with dead people on your planet?"
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Include cancelling your CCs in your will
Old 07-03-2006, 06:30 PM   #2

BRAVO!!!!

I love it because we're going through all of the crap with idiotic banks and financial institutions for my FIL and MIL. We tell them they are in assisted living/nursing care with mental disorders and my wife has the POA. They say that's not good enough. They need their signatures. I expain to them that they have medical doctors attesting to their mental and physical incompitance. That doesn't matter. They don't accept POAs.

I'm sure they will need their signatures after they die.

Why do we bother?
Old 07-03-2006, 08:29 PM   #3

Just forge their signatures. It's what we do for my FIL and MIL who don't speak English or read or write English (or any other language for that matter). When you call the CC company (or whatever company) just lie and tell them that you are you're MIL or FIL.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 05:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Just forge their signatures.*
DW and I are new at this game. It seems so silly. They did the POA for us for when they become "incapacited." That seems like a simple enough thing. Why should anyone accept their signature when we show them documentation that they are unfit to make a decision? What's a pain is that to sell his cars we needed a special POA to be notorized. That was really rubbing his nose in it.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:42 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

that was funny! and scary too