Join Early Retirement Today

Indecent Proposal
Old 08-14-2005, 07:16 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Indecent Proposal

Watching AMC show that 12-year old film, Indecent Proposal. For those who didn't see it, it involves a billionaire (Robert Redford) offering a couple (Woody Harrelson and Demi Moore) one million bucks for one night with his wife. Got me to thinking.

What would you do for a million big ones? He writes you a check immediately, so you don't have to wait. Let's take the original premise first. Trade your spouse for one night? How about lie? Cheat? Steal? And if not one million, how about two million? Would you give it up then? How much would it take to totally corrupt you and your principles. I believe the premise of the movie is everybody has a price. True??

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Indecent Proposal
Old 08-14-2005, 07:24 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yep - evevybody has their price - old buddy of mine called me up in 1995 and talked me into a temp job that lasted one year.

Maybe - I got even - he took early(for him) retirement within a year after I left.

I'd like to take credit for a reasonable corruption of his principles(work ethic and all that).

Quid Pro Quo - the money was nice and he retired early.

unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 04:50 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I think this movie was based on the old joke:
"Man approaches a woman in a bar and asks - will you go to bed with me for $1m? She thinks about it for a few seconds and then says yes. The man then asks - well, how about doing it for $100? Indignet the woman says - what do you think I am? The man replies - madam, we established wht you are; we are just haggling about the price."

You can't cheat an honest man.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:40 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to Newell

DW and I have been living below our means for so long that, in retirement, we can not break the habit. Another million, or two, or whatever would not change our lives at all. So, could I be persuaded to depart from my sense of right and wrong? Absolutely, unequivocally, NO!

Would I feel the same if we were barely managing to pay our bills? I'd like to think so - but fortunately we will never know.
Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 07:29 AM   #5

The movie's theme is based on our society's sexual preferences.

What if the Redford character asked the Harrelson character who is straight, to spend one night with him and not Demi? Ouch!

Now, how much money would it take?
Old 08-15-2005, 07:47 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Ouch!

Back in Colorado - for a while had a manager(Basque stock) - who told all the bad sheepherder jokes you never really wanted to hear.

Winter, Colorado, sheep - how much money

DCA - in the real world. Leave the rest to the movies and people who tell really bad jokes.

Ok, ok - maybe a lottery ticket once in a while when you gas up the car.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 08:25 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
Ok, ok - maybe a lottery ticket once in a while when you gas up the car.
I've heard numbers of people talk about how bad lotteries are, but if I'm comparing entertainment... say a couple bucks on a lottery ticket, vs $8 for most of the movies I've seen come out... hey no contest!
moghopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 09:42 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
I think this movie was based on the old joke:
"Man approaches a woman in a bar and asks - will you go to bed with me for $1m? She thinks about it for a few seconds and then says yes. The man then asks - well, how about doing it for $100? Indignet the woman says - what do you think I am? The man replies - madam, we established wht you are; we are just haggling about the price."
George Bernard Shaw, of all people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
Watching AMC show that 12-year old film, Indecent Proposal.* For those who didn't see it, it involves a billionaire (Robert Redford) offering a couple (Woody Harrelson and Demi Moore) one million bucks for one night with his wife.* Got me to thinking.

What would you do for a million big ones? He writes you a check immediately, so you don't have to wait.* *Let's take the original premise first.* Trade your spouse for one night?* How about lie?* Cheat?* Steal?* *And if not one million, how about two million?* Would you give it up then?* How much would it take to totally corrupt you and your principles.* I believe the premise of the movie is everybody has a price.* True??
Ya know, the TV show "Married With Children" did a parody of that film with Vanna White (or was it Christie Brinkley?) offering Katy Segal the same amount for a night with Ed O'Neill. It turned out that his marital-fidelity morals wouldn't let him go through with it...

But I digress. First, let's make sure the check clears. Second, let's set aside the estimated taxes. Now, where were we?

Trading your spouse-- would you have to share any of the money with her? ("Just kidding, honey!")

Lying, cheating, & stealing-- priceless. You can't pay me enough to be compensated for taking on those problems.

I'm not sure that I have a price, but there's no telling what I'd do to take care of more important things like family. I think the problem is that when you have enough to ER you also have enough to afford your principles. It's when you don't have ANY money that it's tough to afford 'em.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 10:53 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
What would you do for a million big ones? He writes you a check immediately, so you don't have to wait.* *Let's take the original premise first.* Trade your spouse for one night?* How about lie?* Cheat?* Steal?* *And if not one million, how about two million?* Would you give it up then?* How much would it take to totally corrupt you and your principles.* I believe the premise of the movie is everybody has a price.* True??
Since almost everyone has done some lying, cheating and stealing for a lot les than $1M; I think I would be happy to repeat for $1M. And as for the wife, well I can't say for sure, but I think that may have happened anyway, without me ever getting to cash any checks.

Would have to be there to be sure, but right now I think I would say, "Just make that payable to HaHa.* And let's go down to your bank and cash it first."

Haha
Old 08-15-2005, 12:51 PM   #10

I am not married anymore, but I could not imagine saying
no to $1 million if he wanted to spend the night with my ex.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:03 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
* I think the problem is that when you have enough to ER you also have enough to afford your principles.* It's when you don't have ANY money that it's tough to afford 'em.
Funny - it was the desire to put my principles before a pay check that really lit the "FI-RE" fire in my belly. I was so sick of all the shady, underhanded dealings in corporate America and didn't want to be a part of it.* I'll do anything to check out ASAP.*

(Although, my FIRE would be set back considerably if I had the opposite moral dilemma: pay $1M to spend the night with Robert Redford.* * * )
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 02:05 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal

(Although, my FIRE would be set back considerably if I had the opposite moral dilemma: pay $1M to spend the night with Robert Redford. )
I'll give $100,000 for Johnny Depp.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 02:06 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

When that movie came out, I saw a funny page cartoon showing a middle aged couple leaving the movies:

Woman: "What would you do if Robert Redford offered to exchange one night with me for a million dollars?"

Man: "I'd pay it!"
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 03:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Martha, I am speechless. Anyway, there is no one that I would ever
prefer over DW, so see what a lucky guy I am?

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 04:09 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

DW looking over your shoulder, JG??

Btw, I look just like <insert hunk here> through beer goggles... :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 04:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor
I am not married anymore, but I could not imagine saying
no to $1 million if he wanted to spend the night with my ex.
Maybe that's why you're not married anymore.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:15 PM   #17

Quote:
You people have turned her against me with your crazy talk!

--DH

Jury duty starting tomorrow. Haven't decided whether to bring Plato's Republic a Playboy to read in the jury waiting room yet.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:44 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON
Jury duty starting tomorrow.
How long does that last? Up until they recognize that your spouse is in the legal business or that you've corresponded with Trombone Al?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 06:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Should he be insulted?

Greg, I'd be a little suspicious if some serious money mysteriously vanished from the family portfolio and Martha starts singing "some enchanted evening" all day long.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
How long does that last? Up until they recognize that your spouse is in the legal business or that you've corresponded with Trombone Al?
They know about the spouse. They don't know about me. "Trombone Al? I'll perjure myself. So help me God.

--Greg