Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-26-2016, 07:19 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Without a doubt, the best part of FIRE is not working. The alarm clock no longer rings. Do what you want.

Wealth is just the icing on the cake. You can do more of what you want -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2016, 07:19 PM   #102
Give me a forum ...

Me, I earned, invested and saved so that I could afford the finer eats and enjoy dining with no concern over price tag whether at nicer restaurants or at home.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:21 PM   #103
Give me a forum ...

And speaking of food, I like some fancy food too, occasionally. And if I learn to make it myself, all the better.

But the truth is that people often just crave some simple food. It is particularly true of chefs, and I mean real chefs, not cooks. In a book either by Anthony Bourdain or Michael Ruhlman, it was said that when chefs at fancy NYC restaurants met after work, they often picked some places serving simple food like Kentucky Fried Chicken, and gobbled it down.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:26 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Simple food - just because it's simple doesn't mean it's cheap. Steaming king crab legs at home is one of the simplest quickest meals I make.

I think they are really after nostalgia food. Nothing wrong with that!
Old 07-26-2016, 07:27 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

I love simple food simply prepared;

Prime tenderloin medium rare, hash browns and a quartered tomato -
Old 07-26-2016, 07:29 PM   #106
Gone but not forgotten

For me it is being able to stay at boutique hotels even if I breakfast at Denny's .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:35 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Once he find something he likes, he just sticks with it.

A Visit to Warren Buffett's Favorite Restaurant...
From the interview:
Donna: He will have either veal parm or chicken parm. Once in a while he will have prime rib and he has mostaccioli (a variety of pasta) and hash browns, he loves hash browns here.

Becky: Lots of vegetables, too?

Donna: He never orders any vegetables. (Laughs.)
See what I said about Buffett admitting that he eats like a 6-year old? And he's still healthy. Life is not fair, I keep saying.

Anyway, it is nice to be rich enough that you can have everything under the sun, then stick with what works for you. Would it be nice to be able to say, when someone says that Louis XIII Black Pearl Cognac is good stuff, that you have had it and it was just meh!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-26-2016, 07:37 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

DH reminded me today that the $1.6B YouTube - Google deal was struck at a Denny's.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:40 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

I really don't care what warren & bill like to eat or where. They are not me.

I only care what I like to eat -

I'll add that I didn't even know what real balsamic vinegar was until I watched Bourdain. Then I was on a mission.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:40 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Simple food - just because it's simple doesn't mean it's cheap. Steaming king crab legs at home is one of the simplest quickest meals I make.

I think they are really after nostalgia food. Nothing wrong with that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I love simple food simply prepared...[/IMG]

Prime tenderloin medium rare, hash browns and a quartered tomato -
These are still inexpensive if you do at home, compared to going to fancy restaurants where they charge $10 for a side dish of a few florets of steamed broccoli, or a scoop of mashed potato.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:44 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Oh yeah, always cheaper in than out. Even with FedEx P1.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:49 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

And sometimes when you want something a bit more unusual, it's not easy to find a restaurant that serves that dish. And then, they may not make it the way you like.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:09 PM   #113
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
None of the above. It is a mistake to equate "wealth" with spending. In fact, spending has nothing to do with wealth. Spending only has to do with....spending.
I like the sounds of this. The 'Millionaire Next Door' observations of decamillionaires behaviours sound familiar. In general, I would think that people who wind up being 'wealthy' in a financial sense are more frugal than the average person and are thus more spending averse. This contributes to their wealth accumulation. Possibly, individuals who come by their money more easily are more likely to spend it. Certainly, corporations spend billions on advertising to convince the population that spending on luxuries is the norm. This is likely to the great detriment of many.

I'd be an 0 for 4 on the list at the start of the thread.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:13 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Me, I earned, invested and saved so that I could afford the finer eats and enjoy dining with no concern over price tag whether at nicer restaurants or at home.

Unfortunately, my pile o' assets requires "concern"... :-P

But I'm with you on ice cream!

(Actually, homemade ice cream, the way I make it, with lots of heavy cream, though I really don't need that much ice cream around as temptation...)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:57 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I really don't care what warren & bill like to eat or where. They are not me.

I only care what I like to eat -

I'll add that I didn't even know what real balsamic vinegar was until I watched Bourdain. Then I was on a mission.
Sure. The point is that billionaires, not mere millionaires, also do not care about what other people think, and they eat what they like.

Me, I like a variety of dishes, and it is amazing how the same meat, when cooked in different ways, seasoned with some unusual spices or herbs, become something quite different.

A lot of the food I make may sound exotic to an American, but the dishes are really peasant food in their countries of origin. I can only eat steak or hamburger so many times in a month, but how about French boeuf bourguignon, or daube, or Hungarian goulash? Instead of chicken fried steak, why not try Italian chicken marsala, or cacciatore? They are all everyday or peasant's food. Instead of meatloaf, why not make some terrine?

Or let's go to the Orient and make Thai hot pot. Now, many countries have hot pots, but one of the things that makes Thai hot pot unique is the kaffir lime leaves. I am proud to say that we have acquired and planted a tree, and it is doing fine. All this so we can have Thai hot pot about 3 times a year.

And Vietnamese Pho is really fast food in Vietnam (fast to serve, but not fast to prepare). French duck confit, one of my favorites is also a peasant food. Polish golabki?

Lots of food to chose from. You see now how I am not against American fast food restaurants, but rather there's so much other food I can choose from, and my stomach is limited.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:13 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clobber View Post
I think both of your examples qualify as indicators on different scales. Nice.

Why are you blinking on the $1000/2500/4000? Is it being frugal? Can you just barely afford the $4000? Is it just knowing you can get there for $1000K?

Just wondering
I can afford the $4000 business class ticket, but I don't think I can afford upgrades like this all the time, so it comes down to choices and trade-offs and deciding whether there's value in paying extra. There's also some notion that I got to FIRE by being pretty frugal, and having overshot the mark somewhat it's still tough to change my nature. One $4000 upgrade won't make much of a difference, but that, plus buying a Lexus instead of a Subaru, subscribing to all the extra cable channels, box seats to sporting events over grandstand seats, high end steak houses vs Outback, would all probably ruin my financial plan. Because I'm not that wealthy. So I pick the ones most important to me to splurge on.

Somebody, maybe it was here in another thread, asked what would you do if someone would pay you $3000 to go sit right next to a stranger or two in a somewhat less comfortable seat, for 15-20 hours, and do it again in a few days. You don't really have to talk to them, and you can sleep, read a book, put on your headphones, etc. Seems like easy money, doesn't it? That's basically what coach is. Is it worth giving up that money to have more privacy, quiet, and comfort for such a limited period of time? I guess it depends on how you want to feel when you arrive at your destination. And what if the coach seat next to you is empty? Suddenly, for no extra cost, most of my reason for upgrading is gone.

Then there's what I'd do with that $3000. I probably won't spend half that on all expenses for this domestic trip I just booked, so I can do two of those, that maybe I wouldn't budget for otherwise. Is it worth missing those trips just so I can be more comfortable on my international trip?

Maybe doing the upgrade once in my life won't really change my financial situation, but is this the only distant international trip I want to take? Once I upgrade can I go back to economy for the 2nd trip?

Those are the factors that make me blink, because I don't have unlimited funds to do and have everything I think I desire. So I pick things that have more bang for the buck, and with a $4K ticket, that international trip has less bang for the buck to me.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:40 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I can afford the $4000 business class ticket, but I don't think I can afford upgrades like this all the time...

... I don't have unlimited funds to do and have everything I think I desire. So I pick things that have more bang for the buck, and with a $4K ticket, that international trip has less bang for the buck to me.
Same here. But then, that means I am not rich, and I admit it.

Here's someone who's rich. In the news, a diner in Scotland accidentally tipped more than 1 million pounds, for a meal that cost £100. It was a mistake, and the charge was later reversed. Still, what's impressive was that his bank account had enough cash for that bill to get approved.

See: Diner Accidentally Tips More Than a Million Dollars.

Maybe that guy just cashed his check for the sale of his home or something, but I never have $1M in cash in my checking account at any time, though my networth is a few $M. I am not rich.

Lesson to take away: don't get too drunk when you eat out, or you will make mistakes like the above when settling the bill.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:55 PM   #118
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We spent about 20K last year on 2 tours. We stayed at 4 or 5 star hotels, most meals were choice of menu, and it was a small group.
We had done the lower cost tours, but now as we are taking fewer tours, we can afford to take higher class ones.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:06 PM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
These are still inexpensive if you do at home, compared to going to fancy restaurants where they charge $10 for a side dish of a few florets of steamed broccoli, or a scoop of mashed potato.
Well, yeah. Foods easy to prepare at home I don't go out to eat. Usually because I do it better.

But these aren't inexpensive foods and aren't going to be found on the menu at your average cheap eats or diner type place.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:12 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Last time we bought tickets to Europe for a great price - ~$650 we were offered upgrade to business class for an additional >$6000 each. I was like - are you crazy?!?!

I'm pretty sure just buying business class outright was being offered for $4400 or thereabouts.

Those upgrade offers you get at purchase are really random.