Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Indicators of Wealth?
Old 07-26-2016, 09:48 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Indicators of Wealth?

I know there are all kinds of definitions for being wealthy. Things like being in the top 1% (or .01%), or having a certain net worth, or income level. Personally, I like the link to having "no financial constraints on activities." So, what are some specific activities that might indicate a person is wealthy? Some of mine include:

1) Purchase international business class tickets (even if you hunt for the cheaper ones) without hesitation.
2) Never even consider going to Denny's, Sizzler, etc.
3) Never consider staying at Motel 6 or Super 8.
4) Spending $100-$200 on a whim. Want that new Amazon Echo? Just buy it and if it doesn't work out...who cares. It was only $200.

What are some of your indicators?
clobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2016, 10:09 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When I visit the 11 month old twin granddaughters and they scoot across the floor towards me when they hear my voice.....

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:10 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I like all of yours. We've never done #1, but may if we take a painfully long flight.

Here are ours - funny, we just discussed this last weekend:

1) Own or timeshare our own airplane so we could just hop on and go - no TSA, shoe removal, customs, no screaming babies (unless they're related to us), no waiting in line to pee, no 2 hour pre-arrival at airport. You get the drift.
2) A full time cook
3) A place at the lake, and being able to afford someone to do the work on it so all we would do is show up & play.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:16 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

A true baller has six figures in his checking account
Old 07-26-2016, 10:25 AM   #5

None of the above. It is a mistake to equate "wealth" with spending. In fact, spending has nothing to do with wealth. Spending only has to do with....spending.

Wealth has been defined as "income from other sources".
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:27 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

If your boat has a helicopter pad...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:29 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clobber View Post
1) Purchase international business class tickets (even if you hunt for the cheaper ones) without hesitation.
4) Spending $100-$200 on a whim. Want that new Amazon Echo? Just buy it and if it doesn't work out...who cares. It was only $200.
That 1st one right there excludes me from the club.

Don't know about #2, even though we have not eaten there in years. Their food never got me sick or anything.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:33 AM   #8

If your boat has more than one helicopter pad.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-26-2016, 10:34 AM   #9

When I go to the local burger joint I order the Cowboy Burger, but pay them a quarter to replace the Jack cheese with sharp Cheddar.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
When I go to the local burger joint I order the Cowboy Burger, but pay them a quarter to replace the Jack cheese with sharp Cheddar.
whoah there, big fella. You'll never achieve FIRE spending your dough like that!

Unless you have a Groupon for 40% off or something.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:46 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Some of those folks dining at Denny's have a lot more $$ than I ever will.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:48 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
If your boat has a helicopter pad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
If your boat has more than one helicopter pad.

If you ship has a boat (which means submarine)....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:55 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I know there are all kinds of definitions for being wealthy. Things like being in the top 1% (or .01%), or having a certain net worth, or income level. Personally, I like the link to having "no financial constraints on activities." So, what are some specific activities that might indicate a person is wealthy? Some of mine include:

Wait a minute, what's wrong with Denny's? With the AARP card you can get 15% off?

And what feever said above is true. I know a guy that owns six Burger Kings in the area and he is often seen in the local Denny's and TexMex places in town.

BTW, most flyers in First or Business Class these days are using upgrades from their FF account or are on business and the Company or client is paying for the seat.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:57 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Well gosh, I'm not rich. I wouldn't think twice at staying at a motel 6 or Super 8, and having dinner at Denny's or Sizzler that night, the next time we go through a hurricane evacuation.

I think being rich is:

(1) Not feeling the need to constantly compare one's lifestyle and spending choices with the lifestyles and spending choices of friends and acquaintances

(2) Awakening to find one is sincerely, thoroughly happy each morning and staying that way pretty much all day long

(3) Not having to worry about the future, where the next meal is coming from or where to sleep each night

(4) Thinking of things and experiences that would brighten one's life in the future, and being able to afford those things and experiences.

(5) Feeling that one has ENOUGH. Eradicating that crazy-making hoarding/consumerist drive for once and for all.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:59 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

For me;

No more coach fares
I fear no restaurant
Give me a room with a view and a jacuzzi
No more cheap booze
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
How about "has plenty to GIVE"?
Old 07-26-2016, 11:08 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

How about "has plenty to GIVE"?

No one has mentioned the freedom to GIVE plenty to causes other than your own!
Old 07-26-2016, 11:15 AM   #17

For me, it's currently:

- Paying the extra $100 a night to be guaranteed an ocean view at check in and not have to hope for a free upgrade.
- Usually paying for economy plus and once in a long while first class on planes.
- Tipping $20 to a lot of service people that come to the house.

For me, in the future:

- Private chef.
- Plane share (recent Forbes article had a service that sounded great but can't remember the name of it).
- Estate planning for future generations (not just kids).
Old 07-26-2016, 11:17 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Sometimes I don't spend much, but I'm still wealthy, to me spending on lots of things often means someone is accumulating things, searching for happiness via retail therapy, or has a spending problem and will be poor soon.

I'll eat at Denny's if I want, and I'll stay at motel 6 or 8 if convenient and reviews are good which is my criteria for all hotels.

One big indicator is not worrying about the next meal or where to sleep, and if I want something it becomes a detailed matter of which one is good and not "what can I afford".
Example: last year my old car died, so I bought a new one with cash. This year DW has finally agreed to replace her 18 yr old car (101,000 miles) with a new one, and it will be cash after she decides which one.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
No more cheap booze
We have a winner...
Old 07-26-2016, 11:21 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by starry night View Post
No one has mentioned the freedom to GIVE plenty to causes other than your own!
not equating that to wealth for some reason...