Join Early Retirement Today

Inexpensive Sous Vide machines
Old 08-03-2017, 01:33 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Inexpensive Sous Vide machines

I have been thinking about Sous Vide for a while. I have been looking at the immersion units that you stick in a pot you own. It seems the descent ones are at least $100 and some of the highly recommended ones are $200

Recently, a friend told me that we can now get complete Sous Vide machines for under $70 at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...O736F4KX&psc=1

Does anybody have any experience with these very inexpensive Sous Vide machines?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2017, 01:59 PM   #2

The one you linked to has a pretty small capacity compared to any others I've seen. One reviewer pointed out the max water depth is only 4 inches, which would not be deep enough for most cooks I do. Probably OK if you're only cooking for one person though, and the price is certainly good.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:22 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

We didn't want to tie up that much space. We use an Anova in our Instant Pot, so the counter space does double duty. It's basically a precision-controlled immersion heater. I believe that Instant Pot has also introduced their own model.

With the immersion heater style, your capacity is nearly unlimited. I have seen many cases where someone has simply cut a hole in the top of a cooler and stuck the heater through it. Then you could easily do a full packer brisket or a big prime rib.

"Never buy junk tools." has always been a rule that I try to follow, too. $70 may be too cheap.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
With the immersion heater style, your capacity is nearly unlimited. I have seen many cases where someone has simply cut a hole in the top of a cooler and stuck the heater through it. Then you could easily do a full packer brisket or a big prime rib.
This is clearly the best answer. Either a Joule or an Anova would be the top choices. When my old SousVide Supreme eventually dies, that's what I'll replace it with.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:45 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

One of my future projects is to try Sous Vide style cooking in a thermal cooker.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:51 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There are a few ways to do it. I have used the Anova Culinary Bluetooth Sous Vide Precision Cooker, 800 Watts, Black. It seems to work great. $99.

Prior to that, I tried the Inkbird Itc-308 Digital Temperature Controller Outlet Thermostat, 2-stage, 1100w, w/ Sensor and a crock pot. $35.

Both seemed to work, although the food is a bit bland even with searing/marinating. I bought a camp Chef Woodwind pellet stove which works great on some of the same items, and gives a great flavor.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:59 PM   #7

I've only had experience with the more expensive Anova 900 watt immersion stick, and I am a total fan of the whole sous vide cooking experience. The 800 watt Anova is less expensive, and now they advertise a $89 model 700 watt that will be available this fall. I pre-ordered it at a discount for $69. I found that the higher watt version will heat up your water bath faster and can handle a larger water volume, but all consume very little energy maintaining the temperature. They all have impellers to circulate the water bath to maintain consistent temperature throughout.

When I looked up your link, I was impressed that the entire Sous Vide unit could be had for only $70. One potential drawback: one reviewer states there is no water circulator. The accuracy of the water temperature and potential for hot and cool spots might be an issue. I don't own this, so I don't really know. The shape of the water bath is said by another reviewer to be only 4 inches deep. How much food can be completely immersed in only 4 inches of water?
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:00 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I've done Sous Vide with only a cooler and a thermometer. Best to have a thermometer that can be submerged in the water and read w/o opening the cooler.

Just pre-heat with some hotter water to bring the cooler walls up to temp, add water to get to the temperature you want, mixing tap and boiling as you go. A large cooler will hold temps well. Throw some blankets over it. You might have to top off with a cup or two of boiling water every half hour or so, maybe more at first if you added a lot of food.

Or for smaller things, get one of these, and plug in an old-style, manual switch type slow-cooker:

https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Itc-3...7NJX35EQR95KWA

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:58 AM   #9

This is something I've been curious about for a while, but haven't done anything yet. I did bookmark a The Sweet Home article from a couple of months ago. Their detailed analysis and methodology is here: The Best Sous Vide Machine and Gear | The Sweethome

To summarize the results:
best budget pick - Kitchen Gizmo $100 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3TKFDK
best overall - Anova $199 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HHWSV1S
runner-up - Chef Steps $180 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0727R431B
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
We didn't want to tie up that much space. We use an Anova in our Instant Pot, so the counter space does double duty. It's basically a precision-controlled immersion heater. I believe that Instant Pot has also introduced their own model.

"Never buy junk tools." has always been a rule that I try to follow, too. $70 may be too cheap.
+1 on the Anova. Immersion gives you large and small capacity choices, and doesn't take up counter space when not being used. I also decided to splurge on a rack, and a plastic box with a lid with a cutout for my Anova. I easily use it 2-3x per week.

I tried the method of adding hot water and keeping an eye on the temperature--waaay too much work.

The smaller Anova was on sale on Amazon Prime Day for $99. I bought the regular one last year for $179.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:03 PM   #11

I purchased a Chef Steps Joule recently and have been enjoying the BEST poached eggs and salmon that I've ever been able to prepare. Chicken thighs were good, but not exceptional. I've yet to try dishes that require a long (8hr+) times in the water, but will be doing that soon.

Love it!
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sous vide