Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-22-2016, 04:33 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

Now the car tells me the tires are full, but I can't get it to change the display so I can go back to obsessively monitoring our gas mileage. Sigh. Man in the service of technology, as usual!
Check the owners manual, there is probably a procedure to follow. In my current car (Nissan) the sensor alarm will automatically reset (if the pressure is correct) when you hit about 20 MPH.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2016, 06:01 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
My complaint: Tire pressure gauges. The cold weather causes tire pressures to get low and the "low pressure" light to come on, but some cars don't even tell you which tire is low. And I own 4 gauges and none of them appears to be very accurate, or at least they don't agree with the "smart" senders in my tires, or with each other. I've spent from $2 to $15 and still haven't found a reliable one. I'd prefer to avoid anything that needs a battery.
My preferred tire gauge for passenger cars is the Milton S-921. I have one in each of my cars. About six bucks, doesn't require much space to store, no batteries required. Amazon has it available if you can't find it locally.
jimbee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 06:07 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Like others, I just use my bicycle tire pump. It is rather easy, so maybe folks don't remember how easy these things are.

And it is not like going from 0 PSI to 32 PSI. It is more like going from 25 PSI to 32 PSI.

But I know some folks are too frail to walk up a flight of stairs, so you shouldn't be using a bicycle pump.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 06:28 PM   #44

Bike pumps work, but car tires have a lot more volume than bike tires. Translation: While pumping up a bike tire may take about 20-30 strokes a car tire can easily take 100-200. Doable, but a bit tiring.

A few summers ago my wife and I drove the family car up to Fairbanks, got a flat while driving around Alaska and put on the spare... and soon after we left Fairbanks for the long ride back down south the spare started leaking. I spent 3 days regularly reinflating that tire with a bike pump every couple hundred miles until we got to a place that fixed it. Had lumberjack arms by that time.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 06:38 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

The Discount Tire store near me has an outdoor tire inflation station you can use for free. You can check your tire pressure and inflate your tires using their compressor.

They have over 900 Discount Tire locations in 29 states, though I don't know how many provide the free tire inflation facility.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:44 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I'll also add that you should be checking them, and topping off before your system tells you.

Now, do I always do that? Hmmmm, OK, do as I say, not as I do! It's for your own good.

-ERD50
It depends on the brand both my 2011 Cruze and 2016 Malibu have a mode where the actual tire pressure is displayed on one of the displays, not just an idiot light. This is how I see the pressure be lower on cold days also.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 06:57 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

My car has a low pressure indicator but doesn't tell the actually psi. I just check and top off every couple of months along with other regular stuff (check oil, wiper fluid, recharge battery jump starter) on a regular routine. Oh, I have a checklist too for the month so I don't have to dwell whether I do the routine maintenance this month or last month? . My car is usually down a few psi in two months.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:27 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by template View Post
The Discount Tire store near me has an outdoor tire inflation station you can use for free. You can check your tire pressure and inflate your tires using their compressor.

They have over 900 Discount Tire locations in 29 states, though I don't know how many provide the free tire inflation facility.
http://www.americastire.com/dtcs/inf...cesAirCheck.do

I think Americas tire and Discount are the same, the one near me provides excellent service. I have learned it is always a good idea to look very closely at your tires when the alert goes off. A couple of time I have found a nail or screw in the tire.
like2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:16 PM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

+3 on 12 volt portable. FYI. The gauges on them are not very accurate.

What I did, purchased tire gauge, (many years ago Consumer Reports did a review on best models). Then marked the 12 volt infiltrator with the correct
pressure.

ie. Inflated to 32 lbs. (per tire gauge). 12 volt said, 40 lbs.

So I used a black marker and wrote " 40=32 lbs."
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:26 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
+3 on 12 volt portable. FYI. The gauges on them are not very accurate.

What I did, purchased tire gauge, (many years ago Consumer Reports did a review on best models). Then marked the 12 volt infiltrator with the correct
pressure.

ie. Inflated to 32 lbs. (per tire gauge). 12 volt said, 40 lbs.

So I used a black marker and wrote " 40=32 lbs."
To start with a 1 inch dial is that goes to 150 lbs does not provide much resolution. I found a pressure gauge with a 2 inch dial that only goes to 60 psi and that holds pressure until you release it. The inflator is also designed for bicycle tires and needs to go to 100 psi with its dial.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:37 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

....Now the car tells me the tires are full, but I can't get it to change the display so I can go back to obsessively monitoring our gas mileage. Sigh. Man in the service of technology, as usual!

Keeping your tires properly inflated will get you better fuel economy. My tire pressure warning came on this morning as well. I ran my battery down by leaving the ignition on to monitor the tire pressure display while I reset all 4 tires.

I use a very old Craftsman 110V compressor that I got used. When it dies, I'll get one of the new jump starters that has 12V and USB outputs in addition to an air compressor. Harbor Freight has a cheapie that goes on sale for $40.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:04 PM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

We use a bicycle pump too. I can't remember if we've inflated a flat tire.
After swapping the snow tires with the all seasons and vice versa, it usually takes about 50-100 pumps to get it back to spec.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:15 AM   #53

The new truck came with nitrogen-inflated tires (green valve stem caps). Any thoughts on inflating with nitrogen?
misanman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:17 AM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
The new truck came with nitrogen-inflated tires (green valve stem caps). Any thoughts on inflating with nitrogen?
Probably a great idea if you drive the NASCAR or formula 1 circuit, otherwise a lot of hot air...
Old 11-23-2016, 06:28 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
Nitrogen is excellent stuff, but you can do even better.
I use a proprietary gas mixture consisting of approximately 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and a considerable number of other gases in trace quantities. This has always worked superbly well for me.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:38 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

I have a small plug into the cigarette lighter socket air compressor. I spliced the wires and added two wires with alligator clips so I can also drive it off the battery on my lawn tractor. It is a handy tool to have... use it for cars, bicycles, wood carrier, wheelbarrows, lawn tractor, golf cart, etc.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:47 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Nitrogen is excellent stuff, but you can do even better.
I use a proprietary gas mixture consisting of approximately 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and a considerable number of other gases in trace quantities. This has always worked superbly well for me.
Well, sure, easy for you to say. When would an ordinary person get such a carefully blended mix?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:10 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
My preferred tire gauge for passenger cars is the Milton S-921. I have one in each of my cars. About six bucks, doesn't require much space to store, no batteries required. Amazon has it available if you can't find it locally.
I've never had any luck with the pen type tire gauges. My problem is from getting air to not leak before the measuring. I do have a dial type manual (no batteries either ) pressure gauge which makes a good seal without air leaking. But the gauge is a bit on the clunky side. There's was a discussion on a measuring tire pressure thread a few months back:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ure-82280.html
Old 11-23-2016, 07:23 AM   #59

Being a motorcycle owner/rider I have always had a little air compressor and a very accurate analog pressure gauge. Most the the gauges on the compressors are not very accurate. The best time to check and inflate to the proper pressure is when the tire is cold.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:29 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

I purchased a Campbell-Hausfeld 120 volt inflator about 6 years ago, and it works great. Its gauge provides accurate readings and it inflates quickly. It cost $39 at the time from Amazon and it was well worth it. I have used it for cars, riding mowers, air mattresses, kids inflatable toys, etc.

I also have a small inflator than can be plugged into the car outlet, as part of an emergency road kit. The one time I had to use it worked, but very slowly.

Tags
automotive, inflating tires, tire pressure, tires