Instant Cooker

DH bought ours last year, but since he was the cook of the family, it has just been sitting there. Guess I need to start investigating what I might want to prepare. (Haven't gotten too jazzed just yet about cooking for one--maybe this will help.)

My instant pot is out for delivery. I am going to try and make minestrone soup in it tonight.

As an aside, I ordered a second one of these yesterday. Because I am not a Prime member, Amazon puts my order at the back of the queue. I will get it between October 9th and 13th. I don't really care, it's slated to go with me to Arizona next time I drive out. If I had needed it immediately, I would have done the price match locally and Amazon would have lost my business.

No love here for Amazon and the games it plays trying to get eager customers to become Prime members...

As an aside, I ordered a second one of these yesterday. Because I am not a Prime member, Amazon puts my order at the back of the queue. I will get it between October 9th and 13th. I don't really care, it's slated to go with me to Arizona next time I drive out. If I had needed it immediately, I would have done the price match locally and Amazon would have lost my business.

No love here for Amazon and the games it plays trying to get eager customers to become Prime members...

That's one of the beauties of a free market; you are free to choose. I personally get a lot of value for my $99/year Prime Membership...primarily getting to sit at home and not deal with the B&M shoppers. Actually, I am glad they do a queue system, that means I will get it quickly. :cool:

Not sure what I want to cook first...time to peruse the interwebs!

Does any of you use different functions on the instant pot, like poultry, steam, porridge, etc? Do they do more than just pre-setting the time and high/low/no pressure? (I have a DUO.)

Personally, I use the saute function (with different temp settings to brown meat, brown onions, etc) and the manual function with high/low and time, but nothing else. Even when I steam food, I choose manual, high pressure and time, and never bother with the steam function.

Count me as one who enjoys cooking risotto the old fashioned way. I’m retired. I have time to enjoy the process.

+1
Risotto is fun to make. OK, a bit time consuming, but I'm retired!

Never tried rice in the IP, because I love my Zojirushi rice cooker so much. Never had anything but perfect rice from it, no matter which kind I use.

That's one of the beauties of a free market; you are free to choose. I personally get a lot of value for my $99/year Prime Membership...primarily getting to sit at home and not deal with the B&M shoppers. Actually, I am glad they do a queue system, that means I will get it quickly. :cool:

You also probably pay the usurious tolls to drive in the HOV lane. I prefer to drive at times when that is not necessary or take alternate, more pleasant routes. In the same vein, I only order two or three things from Amazon a year because I can almost always find what I need at a lower price somewhere else, usually locally. As a retired person I can do that. :)

I tried the instant pot for the first time tonight. I made a batch of minestrone soup using both the sauté and the soup functions. The soup turned out great! Now I want to try the rice function to make some coconut rice. And I might try to make some vanilla yogurt too.

Attachments

• IMG_5712.JPG
    IMG_5712.JPG
    330.2 KB · Views: 27
Does any of you use different functions on the instant pot, like poultry, steam, porridge, etc? Do they do more than just pre-setting the time and high/low/no pressure? (I have a DUO.)

Personally, I use the saute function (with different temp settings to brown meat, brown onions, etc) and the manual function with high/low and time, but nothing else. Even when I steam food, I choose manual, high pressure and time, and never bother with the steam function.

I think most of those functions are simply high pressure with various preset times

I think most of those functions are simply high pressure with various preset times

Thank you, Audrey.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

You also probably pay the usurious tolls to drive in the HOV lane. I prefer to drive at times when that is not necessary or take alternate, more pleasant routes. In the same vein, I only order two or three things from Amazon a year because I can almost always find what I need at a lower price somewhere else, usually locally. As a retired person I can do that. :)

1) Totally agree that HOV lanes are absurd. Take four lanes away from the highway to add one or two HOV lanes and what do you get? Fewer lanes, more congestion, and it only takes one idiot in the HOV lane to make everyone behind them slow to a crawl.

2) I have the exact opposite experience with Amazon Prime. Before I add something to my list to buy next time I'm out, I'll check Amazon Prime and the store web site, first.

More and more lately, I find it's not only cheaper to order it on Amazon, but I end up getting it sooner than if I'd waited till the next time I was at that particular store.

According to the charts in the IP manual, the different programs regulate the heat differently to optimize the conditions for different foods. Some programs heat quickly then moderate, others heat slowly.

It probably doesn't make a big difference. I use "manual" 90% of the time.

According to the charts in the IP manual, the different programs regulate the heat differently to optimize the conditions for different foods. Some programs heat quickly then moderate, others heat slowly.

It probably doesn't make a big difference. I use "manual" 90% of the time.

Good to know. I hadn't noticed any difference, so I guess it's subtle LOL!

You also probably pay the usurious tolls to drive in the HOV lane.

Uh, NO. Take a gander at my signature line. And if you look at my posting history, you will note that I am most certainly a fan of "retiree drive time"...meaning I run my errands M-F from 10a-2p. So...I have no need for this HOV lane you speak of. :D

Uh, NO. Take a gander at my signature line. And if you look at my posting history, you will note that I am most certainly a fan of "retiree drive time"...meaning I run my errands M-F from 10a-2p. So...I have no need for this HOV lane you speak of. :D

Meant as a joke about paying for convenience. I don't pay for that particular luxury. Too many years of penny pinching and delayed gratification to start now!

BTW, the Instant Pot was shipped. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow by 8 PM. Good enough for me!

Meant as a joke about paying for convenience. I don't pay for that particular luxury. Too many years of penny pinching and delayed gratification to start now!

BTW, the Instant Pot was shipped. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow by 8 PM. Good enough for me!

Oh, no worries. ;) I agree w/ the frugality aspect of it. I figure that since I don't spend money on cable TV, new cars, mortgage interest, hell...almost nothing, I can splurge on occasion. Hell, I even pay someone to clean my gutters!

My Instapot will be here today, hopefully. I am thinking it's inaugural meal will be a chicken chili of sorts.

I've had great luck with the instant pot recipes at www.dadcooksdinner.com .

Back
Top Bottom