Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in1 Pressure Cooker

Therefore, I purchased a KRUPS Egg Cooker. (Google "Egg Cooker" for others) I can rely on this device to give me the same results every time. Plus I am able to take it on the road with us, in the RV (light weight and small), when we travel.

I bought a similar one, the Better Chef IM-470S egg cooker about a year and a half ago (well before buying the PC) and it works fine for me. I did have to play around with how much water to use to get them the way we like (solid yolk but not overdone). This one also does 7 eggs at a time.

OK - I finally tried a pot roast. I tried 35 mins for the browned seasoned chuck roast in the sauce/broth (with chopped porcini mushrooms, onions, garlic, red wine, beef broth, herbs, and Worcestershire sauce), 10 min release, then put quartered potatoes around the meat, stacked whole carrots on top, put some whole mushrooms on top of the carrots, 6 mins, quick release.

The timing was just right. Almost too long for the carrots. The potatoes were perfect, the mushrooms fine. The meat was great, IMO, the big chunks just coming apart. Took all the veggies and meat out, covered meat to rest while I thickened the sauce and let it cook down and adjusted the seasoning.

So, based on this, I don't know why you'd ever pressure cook the roast more than 45 mins, and the veggies take very little time. Some recipes have you do the roast for 45 mins, take it out and then do the veggies in the broth for a short time while the meat rests. That would work too.

I bought 2 6QT Instant Pots for Christmas gifts this year. They were hits, so thanks to all of you.

Apparently the InstantPot is a word of mouth star

http://knkx.org/post/not-just-crock-viral-word-mouth-success-instant-pot

"The Instant Pot** isn't advertised on TV or in the newspapers, and yet it's become a viral marketing success story, with owners often describing themselves as "addicts" or "cult members." That's the kind of word-of-mouth publicity Instant Pot founders dreamed of when they first began designing the countertop appliances."

My (crazy new age wannabe) doctor told me to start eating bone broth. I had heard of it, so I wasn't completely out in left field. It's a very long cooking broth where the goal is to extract the collagen and gelatin and other good nutrients out of bones - beef, or chicken, or any other meat and even fish. Anyway - I was really glad I had the instant pot, because normally you're looking at 9 to 12 hours stovetop, or much longer in a crockpot.

I actually cooked it for 3 hours at high pressure. 2 hours, then I added some vegetables, then another hour. I roasted some beef bones for 30 mins at 450 degrees first so the broth would be rich and dark.

What I got was definitely a "beef jelly" once it cooled. Would make a great base for French Onion Soup among other things.

I think I'm supposed to warm some up and drink like a cup a day. It's supposed to coat the intestines and help heal "leaky gut". It's pretty tasty with a little salt added.

Instant Pot sure is a marketing marvel. My DW heard about it from her sister. She loved it and we bought one for my sister last Christmas. Our DD got one for Christmas too. My father read about it in the NYT and tried to buy one. All the places he tried were out of stock - even Amazon - until he finally hit on a ship-to-store at Wal Mart.

His is nicer than ours, not sure if it's a newer model or just a different one.

BTW, DW belongs to a FB forum on Instant Pots. Apparently they call themselves "pot heads."

I mad a beef stew in my Instant pot and it was great. I added some red wine and it tasted like beef burgundy.

My Collagen/Gelatin (beyond normal dietary consumption) is provided by these two products:

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Lakes-...86906970&sr=8-10&keywords=great+lakes+gelatin

This (IMHO) seemed a much simpler, less time consuming way to get the same benefit.

(Note that one is "Cold Water Soluble" making it easy to take with water or juice (or with a favorite cocktail, I suppose <chuckle>).

Throw it in the Instant Pot for a few seconds with the appropriate amount of water, pour it in a mug, add honey and bourbon, and whatever else you like and you have a Hot Toddy! (This is the Instant Pot thread, ya know.) :D

My (crazy new age wannabe) doctor told me to start eating bone broth. I had heard of it, so I wasn't completely out in left field. It's a very long cooking broth where the goal is to extract the collagen and gelatin and other good nutrients out of bones - beef, or chicken, or any other meat and even fish. Anyway - I was really glad I had the instant pot, because normally you're looking at 9 to 12 hours stovetop, or much longer in a crockpot.

I actually cooked it for 3 hours at high pressure. 2 hours, then I added some vegetables, then another hour. I roasted some beef bones for 30 mins at 450 degrees first so the broth would be rich and dark.

What I got was definitely a "beef jelly" once it cooled. Would make a great base for French Onion Soup among other things.

I think I'm supposed to warm some up and drink like a cup a day. It's supposed to coat the intestines and help heal "leaky gut". It's pretty tasty with a little salt added.

I discovered that my instant pot can do 240 minutes!

Wel, now I do 240 minutes for both beef and chicken bones. Just cover with water seems to be the trick to getting a broth that gels. I get as many roasted bones in there as I can, with some veggies and herbs, a splash of cide vinegar. When I pack tightly and cover with water, it's full to about the 3.5 liter mark which is as full as you should go. I'm usually adding about 7 to 8 cups of water, and it yields about 8 to 9 cups of bone broth. 240 mins and natural release. Strain broth and cool quickly - I set the bowl of strained broth in a larger pan holding ice. Then pour into glass jars for fridge. Nice and cloudy = lots of nutrients in the broth.

Free Instant Pot cookbook from Amazon today. I have no idea if the recipes are any good.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WWMRTBD

It appears that it automatically signs you up to Kindle Unlimited, a $9.99/month subscription if you don't opt out after a month. I can't keep track of that kind of thing, so I'll pass even though it looks interesting.

It appears that it automatically signs you up to Kindle Unlimited, a $9.99/month subscription if you don't opt out after a month. I can't keep track of that kind of thing, so I'll pass even though it looks interesting.

You missed the distinction. There was one button right up on top to buy it now for free and sign up for Kindle Unlimited, but there was another less obvious button to simply buy it for free.

You have to watch them like a hawk!

I got it for free yesterday, and just now looked through it. It is worth what I paid for it, not a penny more.

I used the $0 button that said nothing about Kindle Unlimited.

I got it for free yesterday, and just now looked through it. It is worth what I paid for it, not a penny more.
Agreed. I got lost at the recipe for Grandmother's Bone Broth and the directions only mentioned apples which weren't in the ingredients list. Pretty glaring.

I think I recognize some of the recipes from various IP web sites. The specification of "red boat fish sauce" is particular to one such site.

Last edited:
Agreed. I looked through the book last night and thought it was barely worth the $0 I paid for it.

"Can the Instant Pot Cook as Well as Julia Child?", a Wall Street Journal article (NOT behind a paywall at the moment) that may be of interest to cooks that use the Instant Pot. The columnist cooks "homard à l’Américaine, ratatouille and soubise (a sweet onion risotto)—plus a fudgy (and gluten-free) gâteau Reine de Saba."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/can-the-instant-pot-cook-as-well-as-julia-child-1499359731?mod=e2tw

The cooking level in the article was above the guy simple stuff I cook, but I still really like using the Instant Pot.

Update: The article is available, but the links to the individual recipes are behind the paywall.

Last edited:
"Can the Instant Pot Cook as Well as Julia Child?", a Wall Street Journal article (NOT behind a paywall at the moment) that may be of interest to cooks that use the Instant Pot. The columnist cooks "homard à l’Américaine, ratatouille and soubise (a sweet onion risotto)—plus a fudgy (and gluten-free) gâteau Reine de Saba."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/can-the-instant-pot-cook-as-well-as-julia-child-1499359731?mod=e2tw

The cooking level in the article was above the guy simple stuff I cook, but I still really like using the Instant Pot.

Update: The article is available, but the links to the individual recipes are behind the paywall.
The wall street link is behind paywall now, but this version isn't: Can the Instant Pot Cook as Well as Julia Child? - cetusnews

I've been making plenty of "gourmet" dishes in mine. Recently - braised lamb shanks, outstanding! See www.dadcooksdinner.com for the recipe. I've used several from that site.

The only thing I haven't liked is chili with ground meat - the pressure seems to ruin the texture. I think the solution is to use meat chunks rather than finely ground meat.

Stews in general come out fantastic.

OK I need to post, so I can read thru this thread that got resurrected from the dead. Im just not ready to go thru 9 pages right now. This will be my nite time coffee read.

I just ordered a DUO-60 from Kohl's for $62.99 plus tax. To get this price, you have to have a Kohl's card. I found it on slickdeals.

Looking forward to reading everyone's tips.

Back
Top Bottom