Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-12-2017, 09:19 PM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
My Collagen/Gelatin (beyond normal dietary consumption) is provided by these two products:

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Lakes-1...+lakes+gelatin

This (IMHO) seemed a much simpler, less time consuming way to get the same benefit.

(Note that one is "Cold Water Soluble" making it easy to take with water or juice (or with a favorite cocktail, I suppose <chuckle>).
Throw it in the Instant Pot for a few seconds with the appropriate amount of water, pour it in a mug, add honey and bourbon, and whatever else you like and you have a Hot Toddy! (This is the Instant Pot thread, ya know.)
Hermit is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2017, 09:54 AM   #162
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Free Instant Pot cookbook from Amazon today. I have no idea if the recipes are any good.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WWMRTBD

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:55 AM   #163
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you! Love my Instant pot.
CountryGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:58 PM   #164
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
My (crazy new age wannabe) doctor told me to start eating bone broth. I had heard of it, so I wasn't completely out in left field. It's a very long cooking broth where the goal is to extract the collagen and gelatin and other good nutrients out of bones - beef, or chicken, or any other meat and even fish. Anyway - I was really glad I had the instant pot, because normally you're looking at 9 to 12 hours stovetop, or much longer in a crockpot.

I actually cooked it for 3 hours at high pressure. 2 hours, then I added some vegetables, then another hour. I roasted some beef bones for 30 mins at 450 degrees first so the broth would be rich and dark.

What I got was definitely a "beef jelly" once it cooled. Would make a great base for French Onion Soup among other things.

I think I'm supposed to warm some up and drink like a cup a day. It's supposed to coat the intestines and help heal "leaky gut". It's pretty tasty with a little salt added.
I discovered that my instant pot can do 240 minutes!

Wel, now I do 240 minutes for both beef and chicken bones. Just cover with water seems to be the trick to getting a broth that gels. I get as many roasted bones in there as I can, with some veggies and herbs, a splash of cide vinegar. When I pack tightly and cover with water, it's full to about the 3.5 liter mark which is as full as you should go. I'm usually adding about 7 to 8 cups of water, and it yields about 8 to 9 cups of bone broth. 240 mins and natural release. Strain broth and cool quickly - I set the bowl of strained broth in a larger pan holding ice. Then pour into glass jars for fridge. Nice and cloudy = lots of nutrients in the broth.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:29 PM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Free Instant Pot cookbook from Amazon today. I have no idea if the recipes are any good.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WWMRTBD
It appears that it automatically signs you up to Kindle Unlimited, a $9.99/month subscription if you don't opt out after a month. I can't keep track of that kind of thing, so I'll pass even though it looks interesting.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:35 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by swakyaby View Post
It appears that it automatically signs you up to Kindle Unlimited, a $9.99/month subscription if you don't opt out after a month. I can't keep track of that kind of thing, so I'll pass even though it looks interesting.
You missed the distinction. There was one button right up on top to buy it now for free and sign up for Kindle Unlimited, but there was another less obvious button to simply buy it for free.

You have to watch them like a hawk!
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:42 PM   #167
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
So, not having looked at the previous posts, I guess I'm the only one thinking a "Free Instant Pot cookbook" was for a whole different sort of recipes.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in1 Pressure Cooker
Old 03-12-2017, 04:56 PM   #168

Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in1 Pressure Cooker

I got it for free yesterday, and just now looked through it. It is worth what I paid for it, not a penny more.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:02 PM   #169
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swakyaby View Post
I used the $0 button that said nothing about Kindle Unlimited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
I got it for free yesterday, and just now looked through it. It is worth what I paid for it, not a penny more.
Agreed. I got lost at the recipe for Grandmother's Bone Broth and the directions only mentioned apples which weren't in the ingredients list. Pretty glaring.

I think I recognize some of the recipes from various IP web sites. The specification of "red boat fish sauce" is particular to one such site.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:20 PM   #170

Agreed. I looked through the book last night and thought it was barely worth the $0 I paid for it.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:14 PM   #171
Recycles dryer sheets

"Can the Instant Pot Cook as Well as Julia Child?", a Wall Street Journal article (NOT behind a paywall at the moment) that may be of interest to cooks that use the Instant Pot. The columnist cooks "homard à l’Américaine, ratatouille and soubise (a sweet onion risotto)—plus a fudgy (and gluten-free) gâteau Reine de Saba."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/can-the...59731?mod=e2tw

The cooking level in the article was above the guy simple stuff I cook, but I still really like using the Instant Pot.

Update: The article is available, but the links to the individual recipes are behind the paywall.
gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:35 PM   #172
Give me a forum ...

July 11 Amazon Prime day - instant pot deal expected.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:46 PM   #173
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromit View Post
"Can the Instant Pot Cook as Well as Julia Child?", a Wall Street Journal article (NOT behind a paywall at the moment) that may be of interest to cooks that use the Instant Pot. The columnist cooks "homard à l’Américaine, ratatouille and soubise (a sweet onion risotto)—plus a fudgy (and gluten-free) gâteau Reine de Saba."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/can-the...59731?mod=e2tw

The cooking level in the article was above the guy simple stuff I cook, but I still really like using the Instant Pot.

Update: The article is available, but the links to the individual recipes are behind the paywall.
The wall street link is behind paywall now, but this version isn't: Can the Instant Pot Cook as Well as Julia Child? - cetusnews

I've been making plenty of "gourmet" dishes in mine. Recently - braised lamb shanks, outstanding! See www.dadcooksdinner.com for the recipe. I've used several from that site.

The only thing I haven't liked is chili with ground meat - the pressure seems to ruin the texture. I think the solution is to use meat chunks rather than finely ground meat.

Stews in general come out fantastic.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:17 PM   #174

OK I need to post, so I can read thru this thread that got resurrected from the dead. Im just not ready to go thru 9 pages right now. This will be my nite time coffee read.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:51 AM   #175
Recycles dryer sheets

I just ordered a DUO-60 from Kohl's for $62.99 plus tax. To get this price, you have to have a Kohl's card. I found it on slickdeals.

Looking forward to reading everyone's tips.
Slow But Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:27 PM   #176
Recycles dryer sheets

I received an IP for Christmas this year and am still playing around with it. I made a great chili this weekend, but am not sure it saved that much time really.
bltkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:55 PM   #177
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
I received an IP for Christmas this year and am still playing around with it. I made a great chili this weekend, but am not sure it saved that much time really.
We picked one up Black Friday shopping and only used it a few times.
Yeah, I'm not sure if we're seeing the time savings. IMO, prep take up a lot of the overall cooking time and you're not really saving a lot of time during the parts when you need to brown/saute proteins and veg. I suspect it's going to save time while enhancing the cooking for recipes where we normally need to simmer a dish at a consistent temp for a really long time to enhance flavours.

However, I'm finding the proteins cooked better; more tender. I also like the versatility. We made a nice congee/rice porridge in it compared to our other poor attempts in a regular pot.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:04 PM   #178
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I like using it to make stew, it makes the meat tender quickly instead of a slow simmer for 4 hours, however in this cold spell I'm going to put a cruset pot on the stove and simmer all afternoon for a toasty warm kitchen..
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:19 PM   #179
Give me a forum ...

I bought the 6qt Duo 7 in 1 Instant Pot on Black Friday at Canadian Tire. It was reduced from $129.99 to $69.99 (they ran out of inventory in 3 hours). The principal reason I bought it was to make yogurt. Since a decent yogurt maker costs at least $70, it was a no-brainer.

Six weeks later, I wouldn’t say I’m an expert, but I’m loving this appliance and feeling comfortable trying out new recipes without a cookbook. (I have never used a pressure cooker before).

I have made yogurt three times. The yogurt is far better than storebought. I like to strain it to make Greek style yogurt, which means I am now baking with whey rather than buying buttermilk. I have made whole-wheat whey bread (amazingly moist) and whey pancakes with cranberries, which turned out light and fluffy. I’ve made black bean soup, beef stew, pasta, meatballs and cheesecake, and I’m just getting started. The only problem is that I don’t have space for a freezer to store all this good stuff!

As for cookbooks, I started with the Instant Pot App, and I am finding tons of great recipe ideas on YouTube. Favourite YouTubers include Flo Lum, Indigo Nili and Instapottin’ with Poonam.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:29 PM   #180
Recycles dryer sheets

I’ve had my 6 quart duo for a couple of years now. Love the yogurt, as well. A couple of Facebook groups share recipes-I’ve made great soups. Enough that dh can hardly wait for cooler weather to start making soup. And he makes great applesauce every week.
Time2re is offline   Reply With Quote