Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-23-2008, 10:02 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Smiles everyone! Smiles....
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2008, 12:22 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sorry for my recent comments! I was just in a very bad mood for some reason. I hope McCain's wife does well with her foundation, etc., and I hope everyone concerned can focus more on the candidates than their spouses. At least I will from now on!
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:14 AM   #83

Ok.. now focusing on candidate:

Think Progress » McCain’s tax breaks for donating to his kids’ elite schools.
Quote:
Ken Silverstein of Harper’s takes a look at Sen. John McCain’s (R-AZ) charitable contributions, noting that the senator is essentially the sole donor to the John and Cindy McCain Foundation, and his wife is its chairman and president”:

Quote:
Between 2001 and 2006, McCain contributed roughly $950,000 to the foundation. That accounted for all of its listed income other than for $100 that came from an anonymous donor. During that same period, the McCain foundation made contributions of roughly $1.6 million. More than $500,000 went to his kids’ private schools, most of which was donated when his children were attending those institutions. So McCain apparently received major tax deductions for supporting elite schools attended by his children
Old 03-01-2008, 07:26 AM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Of course, none of us would do anything like that...you know, putting a bunch of money into tax advantaged vehicles and then using it to pay for our kids tuition.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:04 AM   #85

No one mistakes you for a philanthropist, bun.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:31 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
The Times cant even offer a shred of proof. At least with Billy they had a blue dress
McCain cheated on his first wife, who raised their children while he was a POW, and married his mistress. The mistress would be Cindy.
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:14 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
No one mistakes you for a philanthropist, bun.
Well then I'm maintaining my desired level of misperception.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:53 AM   #88

good one!
... Well, then let's say no one is selling you as a philanthropist.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:18 AM   #89

If McCain survived the many years in a POW camp in Vietnam--and sat down and chose the State he would be most likely to win the position in political office that he wanted--then the guy is a TOTAL STRATEGIST and would not hesitate to look at the old wife (no political influence, not enough money there) and shuck her for the new, shiny opportunity/$$$...uh, I mean woman...to hook up with. He probably encourages Cindy to do things and join groups that make HIM look like the fine, upstanding citizen he is.
Believe it or not, I would vote Republican because I--after much soulsearching and asking questions--am not so hot on some of the bigger Democratic issues this election; however, I am not so blind or romantic as to not see McCain for what he IS.
Just like women marry for $$, men will, too. See? Men and women ARE equal, after all, people.
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:26 AM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

Here is some More on Senator McCain this is about his McCain /Fiengold amendment...

Quote:
One case challenges the "millionaires' amendment" to the McCain-Feingold legislation that rations political speech by restricting the financing, content and timing of it. The other case concerns the right of SpeechNow.org to speak freely against people like McCain. If he still supports the former and does not support the latter, he should not take that oath.

McCain-Feingold's purported purpose is to combat corruption or the appearance thereof. The Supreme Court has said that it will be deferential to the legislative branch if but only if the restrictions it puts on political activity have the purpose of preventing corruption.

Will: McCain and the Oath | Newsweek Voices - George F. Will | Newsweek.com
kathyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:40 AM   #91
Moderator Emeritus

I can't give McCain a pass on his relationships with women, other than to say that he's behaved pretty consistently whether he was married or not. For some reason guys give each other a high-five over this type of behavior while deciding it's a bad thing for women to engage in. Both "standards" (or lack thereof) are just plain wrong, including for McCain.

But as for this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
If McCain survived the many years in a POW camp in Vietnam--and sat down and chose the State he would be most likely to win the position in political office that he wanted--then the guy is a TOTAL STRATEGIST
McCain was accused by Arizona citizens of being a carpetbagger years ago. In one of his Senate campaign speeches he was heckled to go back to his home state. He pointed out that after being raised as a Navy junior and spending an entire career in the service, the place where he'd lived the longest was...

... the Hanoi Hilton.

So perhaps Arizona was just his attempt to find a retirement location, a place where he really felt at home. His selection criteria were a bit different, but at least he listed them. Thank goodness Bill & Hillary Clinton didn't do anything like that when they retired from the White House.

I'm nearly 48 years old and I've lived in this house for nearly eight continuous years. That's almost a residence-longevity record for me too.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:43 AM   #92

Interesting, Nords. Thanks.
The Wall St. Journal has a long piece today (March 3) on Obama and his partnership with a Chicago politician that, I think it is, his chief fundraiser--who is facing charges of money laundering and tons of illegal activities all connected with his job. Same ole poop, different day. They are all strategists, I guess...just McCain seems so...obvious to me. Not that that is always a bad thing at all. Nope, could be a great thing for us as a country.
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:58 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Interesting, Nords. Thanks.
The Wall St. Journal has a long piece today (March 3) on Obama and his partnership with a Chicago politician that, I think it is, his chief fundraiser--who is facing charges of money laundering and tons of illegal activities all connected with his job.
About time the Tony Rezko issue started getting some press coverage.